Jewelry or souvenir bargains

We are counting the days (17) until we depart for our Western Caribbean Cruise on the Mariner! I'd love to hear about any good places/buys for moderately priced jewelry...Cozumel keeps coming up in conversation as the best spot. My daughters 13 and 11 are saving their $ for some purchases as well. Thanks!:D

After 18 cruises, I would definitely recommend Cozumel for your shopping in the Western Caribbean. Stick with the reputable shops and you will come out with some great bargains. I still shoot myself for passing on a nice gold bracelet at the Diamonds International shop. The sales agent was discounting it significantly to get the sale and I passed.

My neighbor regrets not purchasing a blue topaz bracelet in Cozumel. She said she still thinks about it! Our stops are Ocho Rios, Labadee, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I have heard Grand Cayman is somewhat expensive, and that Cozumel Ocho Rios have the best buys. Any other shop or specific suggestions? I also enjoy buying art. Thanks!

I have heard Grand Cayman is somewhat expensive, and that Cozumel Ocho Rios have the best buys. Any other shop or specific suggestions? I also enjoy buying art. Thanks!

I got an amazing necklace in Grand Cayman last year. It was Caymanite, which is formed only in the Cayman Islands. I'd never seen it before, so I picked it up.

When I came back I got lots of compliments on it and wanted to pick one up for my sister. I figured that I would be able to find it SOMEWHERE. I was wrong. It's very hard to find outside of the Cayman Islands and when you do find it, is MUCH more expensive.

We just returned from sailing on the Mariner and found Cozumel the cheapest on just about everything. Grand Cayman was VERY expensive on EVERYTHING. One local said it was due to the hurricane damage last year, all of the prices have sky rocketed. Have fun, hope you find some great deals!!!

I got a nice silver ring with inlaid Australian Opal on it when we were in Coz. I didn't have any idea if the price was a good one or not because I hadn't planned on buying any jewelry. I've done some internet searching and can't find a similar ring for anything close to the price we paid so I feel good about the purchase now.

Have a great time!

Sher

Haven't been to W. Caribbean - However...if the ship offers you a "Passport" book...I wouldn't recommend it unless you are planning on spending a lot....this was a gimic I fell for....I was planning on spending less than $300 and it wasn't worth the $20 for the book....they promise free things....most of which are with purchase....some free loose gemstones, and some free earings with tanzanite chips....Good information from the shopping guide however.....if you shop from a store "recommended" by the ship - they will back your purchase...in other words if you get ripped off (buy a 3 ct. heineken bottle instead of an emerald) the cruiseline will go after the retailer on your behalf....

I have the passport book here...for cozumel the "recommended" stores are as follows:

Carpets International , Columbian Emeralds, DelSol, Diamonds International, Diamonds International Clearance Center, Diamonds International Watch & Design, D'Montero's Silver Shop, Effy, Goodmark Gallery, Havana Club, Island Outfitters, Jewels of the CAribbean , Lapis oriental rugs, Mi Casa,Pama, Rachat & Romero, Silver Emporium,Tanya Moss, Tanzanite International, A Touch of Gold,World of Jewels

Hope that helps?

Thanks so much for the info. I also read something about tanzanite (spelling?) in Jamaica. We're not looking to spend hundreds of dollars at a time but we certainly love great buys. It's fun to wear something that you got on a trip besides a T-shirt. Any other ideas for art in any of the places we'll be stopping? This board has been fabulous!!!!:):):)

One of the things we have purchased for the kids in the past was loose gemstones @ $5-10 / ct Nice for Lavaliers. If you get to St.Maarten, Kay Jewelers does a nice job of setting them for you for a reasonable price.

OchoRios - You can get some nice Jewelry in TajMahal or Sonjis Plaza BUT

not my favorite place to shop for gold or jewelry - Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee on the other hand.

Cozumel - Mexican Silver, Turquoise, Vanilla

Grand Cayman - look at Ammolite we bought a piece in 2003 when only 2 places in the caribbean sold it - CG and Kays in Aruba - now most ports but only one or two store in each port. Comes from Canada - a 60,000 yr old fossil

Inexpensive Watches on board - Citizen Seiko and others

Great gift for bakers in your family. Vanilla! You can get it in almost any store in Cozumel in a big bottle for a great price (look for the plastic bottles). This is REAL Vanilla, not imitation. Blue Mtn Coffee in Jamaica for your coffee drinkers.

Jewels and Time in Ocho Rios is a great place to shop in Jamaica. I've gotten several pieces from them. Very easy to work with and will order it for you if they don't have it and have it shipped (they have 2 stores, one is near the peir by Margaritaville). Have fun!!! and Happy Shopping!!!

Great gift for bakers in your family. Vanilla! You can get it in almost any store in Cozumel in a big bottle for a great price (look for the plastic bottles). This is REAL Vanilla, not imitation. Blue Mtn Coffee in Jamaica for your coffee drinkers.

Jewels and Time in Ocho Rios is a great place to shop in Jamaica. I've gotten several pieces from them. Very easy to work with and will order it for you if they don't have it and have it shipped (they have 2 stores, one is near the peir by Margaritaville). Have fun!!! and Happy Shopping!!!

Just a note about Coffee & Vanilla

Mexican Vanilla is very strong relative to the stuff you buy here - I believe you would use about half the quantity in a recipe. Large bottles are very cheap and as the OP said it is the real stuff despite the cheap price.

Blue Mountain Coffee - Make sure it says JABLUM - Jamaica Blue Mountain Growers Assn - usually in Burlap bags around hermetically sealed bags.

Don't know what the prices are now - BUT last time we were there it (or had someone buy it for us in 2004) It was about $15-17 a pound at Taj Mahal or Sonjis Plaza ( prices vary a bit from store to store). US prices can be as high as $56. per pound Yes I said $56 per pound AND you can freeze it. I still have a couple of pounds left

If you are a rum drinker - and I don't mean rum and coke

And you get to Jamaica,

Look for Appletons' Estate 21 year old Rum. It is about $25/bottle.

Not available in the states - 18 yr old is but while it is ok it is not the same<g>.

If you appreciate a good sipping rum after dinner or perhaps along with a good cup of Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee - This is definitely something to buy for a special person or yourself

We enjoy good coffee and typically drink columbian or kona. What does Jamaican coffee compare to taste-wise. Thanks for the great info. I appreciate all the info that everyone has so kindly shared! P.S. Looking forward to purchasing some rum too!

We went to Jamaica and bought coffee. It was great. Then we came home and went to BJ's and saw they had Blue Mountain Coffee for less than half price of what we paid in Jamaica. We bought some and it tasted the same to us. I guess we are not coffee connoisseurs, but we didn't think spending the money in Jamaica was worth it. Anyway, to each his own.

(We did buy the Jamaican Blue Mountain in the burlap bag for our family and friends.)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

Katie

Do keep an eye on the free items the jewelry and souvenir stores are giving away, as they make nice little gifts, or your daughters might like them. I got a free topaz last November and they put it in a sterling silver setting for my Son's GF for $15. It made a very nice gift for her.

The teeny, tiny diamond chip stud earrings are nice for little girls with pierced ears. I gave two pairs of those to my best friend's grandaughters who are both 3.

If you find a pendant, ask for a free chain. Bargaining is the thing.

Agree about the savings book on the ship. Not worth it.

We went to Jamaica and bought coffee. It was great. Then we came home and went to BJ's and saw they had Blue Mountain Coffee for less than half price of what we paid in Jamaica. We bought some and it tasted the same to us. I guess we are not coffee connoisseurs, but we didn't think spending the money in Jamaica was worth it. Anyway, to each his own.

(We did buy the Jamaican Blue Mountain in the burlap bag for our family and friends.)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

Katie

The cofffee BJ's sells is not 100% Blue Mountain - it is a blend - and while it is very good it is not the same. They also sell a Kona Blend - which is also good but not the same as Kona which is around $36 / lb

We enjoy good coffee and typically drink columbian or kona. What does Jamaican coffee compare to taste-wise. Thanks for the great info. I appreciate all the info that everyone has so kindly shared! P.S. Looking forward to purchasing some rum too!

I find it milder than Columbian and maybe about as strong as Kona but less acid.

Again - you will have to play with ratio of cofffee to water. I like 1:1 my wife likes it a little less intense like 4 scoops to 5 cups

By the way a less expensive and very acceptable brew is Costa Rican Tarazu or Tres Rios ( also a Costa Rican coffee). Mild but very flavorful and not acidic at all.

That is our daily cofee - bought it from Cafe Britt onboard RCCL and have since reordered from their website.

When you are on Grand Cayman, stop in the Bernard K. Passman shop to look at his black coral jewelry and sculptures. He is not cheap, but his things are beautiful. To see what he makes go here:

http://www.passman.com/

He was 87 in January this year and is still actively designing things.

Also, if you like Baileys, try some Tortuga Rum Cream at the Tortuga cake and liquor shop. It's great over ice cream.

I agree, Bernard K. Passmans is a must stop even if you don't plan on buying. That's my problem, I buy there every time I stop in one of his stores. I have 6 pieces now. It is expensive but his pieces are more of a work of art and collection. Check his gallary out.

I agree, Bernard K. Passmans is a must stop even if you don't plan on buying. That's my problem, I buy there every time I stop in one of his stores. I have 6 pieces now. It is expensive but his pieces are more of a work of art and collection. Check his gallary out.

He also has a Gallery in St. Thomas.

His stuff is gorgeous - we never started collecting as we collect other artists but if I had room to display his stuff that is one artist I would buy if for no other reason than it is incredible.

Do keep an eye on the free items the jewelry and souvenir stores are giving away, as they make nice little gifts, or your daughters might like them. I got a free topaz last November and they put it in a sterling silver setting for my Son's GF for $15. It made a very nice gift for her.

The teeny, tiny diamond chip stud earrings are nice for little girls with pierced ears. I gave two pairs of those to my best friend's grandaughters who are both 3.

If you find a pendant, ask for a free chain. Bargaining is the thing.

Agree about the savings book on the ship. Not worth it.

I would agree about the book except for one item - the tote bag from Del Sol

That's probably worth the $20 price. If you are a shopaholic you can probably get about $100 worth of Mdse I doubt much more.

Archived