Muster Drill question

magandab

I remember reading somewhere on here (can't find it) that if one is aged or infirm and would have difficulty standing through the muster drill, there is somewhere else they can go and still be "attending" the drill. My mother is very worried about getting to and standing through the drill and I'd like to know in advance if what I am remembering is correct or just my mind wandering where it likes.

If this is possible, is it something that I need to set up before the start of the cruise? If it's something we can do once on board, how? and with whom?

Thanks to all for all the help over the years.

BTW, we have a cabin to sleep in! We got the SB we had guaranteed and it will be just lovely.

I believe they do this special drill in the atrium. Joanie reported on this if you can search for her posts. A recent member review chastised HAL muster drills as "45 minute operations where elderly were dropping like flies". Good to get this info out about the alternatives for those who finding standing, as a real life incident would require, beyond their own abilities at least for the practice muster.

I remember reading somewhere on here (can't find it) that if one is aged or infirm and would have difficulty standing through the muster drill, there is somewhere else they can go and still be "attending" the drill. My mother is very worried about getting to and standing through the drill and I'd like to know in advance if what I am remembering is correct or just my mind wandering where it likes.

If this is possible, is it something that I need to set up before the start of the cruise? If it's something we can do once on board, how? and with whom?

BTW, we have a cabin to sleep in! We got the SB we had guaranteed and it will be just lovely.

Print the following & you should have no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solocanadian View Post

I can no longer stand for extended periods of time, especially 20 to 30 minutes required for safety drill. Last cruise I draped myself over the railing to get pressure off my hips after the Officer had come by. It was still an effort to stay standing. Does anyone know whether HAL loans out rollators for this purpose only or supply a folding chair? I don't need it to get around the ship, therefore don't want to fly with my own. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solocanadian/Gail; there is an easy solution to your issue! When HAL instituted the current mandatory pax safety drill, a Medical Officer/Nurse is now stationed at the bottom of the Atrium near the entrances to the 'Boat Deck' (LP Deck on the S and R class vessels and on Prinsendam; Promenade Deck on the Vistas & Signatures) starting at 15 min prior to the commencement of the drill. Contact that medical officer and advise him/her that you are unable to stand for long periods of time during the drill. He/she will contact the Bridge/Staff Captain via portable radio and they will check you off the muster list.

There is some good advice here also from Tangerinebunny and Trixiee re: contacting the Infirmary staff ahead of time (after embarking) however, if you contact the medical officer stationed in the Atrium, it's a done deal. He/She will have you take a seat on one of the benches in/near the Atrium for the duration of the drill. Have a great voyage!

Semper Fi!

Also tell your life boat supervisor you will be attending the drill with the nurse in the Atrium. They will take your name and cabin number and you will not have a problem. Enjoy your cruise.:)

When you return from your cruise, would you mind coming back here and letting us know how you experience this?

Hope that this will actually work for your mother.

I will be happy to!

One other question. Will I be permitted to stay with her in the atrium or will I go out to the lifeboat station? Either way, I'm fine with it.

I will be happy to!

One other question. Will I be permitted to stay with her in the atrium or will I go out to the lifeboat station? Either way, I'm fine with it.

I took it for granted that I had to join the other able-bodied pax, so left my DH there, but I believe companions actually stayed with them there. I would do that, because it can be difficult to find each other after the drill.:(

Congratulations -- you will be happy with the SB.

I believe they do this special drill in the atrium. Joanie reported on this if you can search for her posts. A recent member review chastised HAL muster drills as "45 minute operations where elderly were dropping like flies". Good to get this info out about the alternatives for those who finding standing, as a real life incident would require, beyond their own abilities at least for the practice muster.

Sounds like a bit of poetic license to me. We sailed Zuiderdam Nov 8, and it was hot, but I did not see (nor hear) of anyone with heat related problems. There may very well be some issues from time to time, but I think "dropping like flies" would be a bit much. I did not find the drill to be overly lengthy, but they would definitely be a bit shorter if sea cards were scanned, instead of a manual sound off, as so many people did not have the common courtesy to shut up and listen. There was a mouthy group of six standing next to us who were so inattentive that when they finally raised their hands, I knew I had heard their cabin numbers called at least three times.

Did not hear any announcement or see anything written about muster sights for those with mobility issues, but it would make sense.

Edited by MermaidWatcher