snacks??

carlp

I also would like to see HAL have 24/7 cafe/snacks like we get on RCI or NCL. For me, the Lido closes too early in the evening.

I know people say that there is room service. IMHO this is ok if you have a suite, balcony or large OV cabin. If you are in a small inside cabin it is not so pleasant to have your late night snacks there.

I totally agree. Have taken most of my cruises on HAL, but more recently three on Princess and one on Celebrity. HAL definitely could improve in providing snacks, especially when pax return from a shore excursion that goes past lunch hour...and either only a beverage is served on the shorex or sometimes nothing at all. I have written that on my HAL surveys...please have snacks available for returning shorex folks who do not have lunch included with their venture.

For those who have patience and can wait, the room service menu is better than that of Princess and Celebrity.

In post #4 I mentioned about all the food options available once the main lunch ends.

Lots of choices.

Those of us who have experienced the 24/7 cafes with the always freshly-made croissants and pastries available know how much these little treats are appreciated mid-ship, without having to go up to the Lido for cafeteria-style servings - when available - or waiting an age for room service. Sometimes, you just need a little something with your coffee, tea or whatever.

No kidding...really any of the food items in there are free? I always thought that like the coffee drinks they were an extra cost??

Absolutely and positively FREE! We thought you had to purchase also, but about four years ago we discovered differently:D

Absolutely and positively FREE! We thought you had to purchase also' date=' but about four years ago we discovered differently:D[/quote']

As noted by others, and in our experience, not all the staff at the coffee bar in Explorations got that word, and it hasn't been worth an argument for a piece of pastry.

Having done one Princess cruise, totally agree with prior posters' opinions that HAL could do much better in this area -- we fell in love with Princess' International Cafe, and actually lunched there several times. Their ever-changing variety of offerings, all together in one place, with both gourmet coffee and drink service available, at all hours, was really enjoyable.

If you go to a bar or order juices through room service, you will be charged for it.

It has been about five years, but I like to drink a lot of juice when I have a cold. So, I had a picture of orange juice delivered to our cabin every evening and would drink it throughout the night and when I got up in the morning. I know we were not charged for room service orange juice. If HAL is charging for something like this, I think that is going overboard trying to get extra $'s!

On our recent cruise, everytime we returned mid afternoon (or just after lunch) we were able to get sandwiches at the deli, hamburgers or hot dogs at the Terrace Grill, pizza at the Retreat, or do room service. Plenty of food available.

Hmmm, maybe it depends on the ship? We will cruising on the Eurodam on Feb. 2nd for a B2B. We shall see.

Perhaps, my experience is more through the 'lens' of my dietary restrictions...needing to be gluten free.

I haven't been on a HAL ship for at least two years now. Maybe things have changed? I just know that unless I were to have used the room service feature, I was frequently left hungry. And I am a 'light weight' :-) In fact, the lack of food availability (except for room service) was one reason why we took a hiatus from HAL.

Princess, IMHO still does a much better job with the availability of food 24/7 and that included an offering of gluten free desserts at their International Cafe. It was never a problem for me to find something to eat. By the way, even my hubby who can eat whatever he wants found the Princess did better in this area than HAL.

As for comfortable beds, well HAL is the winner in that category.

Toward the end of our transatlantic, we discovered the coffee and bakery station by the Sea View Pool. During breakfast, they used the Slice for that! It was awesome...from then on, we ate our breakfast out at the pool as everything was so handy. A nice change, too.

I have to agree about Princess and their International Cafe. Fabulous!

HAL really does have limited selections from about 2:30-5:00 just when people are coming back from their excursions. They could learn a thing or two from Princess in that area.

Tea is at 3:00 in the Main Dining Room and has lots of goodies, both sweet and savory. Wonderful events.

lunch bread pudding...

I think I gained 10 pounds from this on my HAL cruise! I had always hated bread pudding (sorry, Mom!) but this stuff with the vanilla sauce was addicting..

HAL's bread pudding is outstanding. The warm custard sauce is what takes it into the celestial category. Every other place I've tried bread pudding the topping, if present, was gluey vanilla pudding. UGH!

It has been about five years, but I like to drink a lot of juice when I have a cold. So, I had a picture of orange juice delivered to our cabin every evening and would drink it throughout the night and when I got up in the morning. I know we were not charged for room service orange juice. If HAL is charging for something like this, I think that is going overboard trying to get extra $'s!

Orange juice -- ordered to the cabin is free.

But other juices that can come in a can -- you are charged for them.

Toward the end of our transatlantic, we discovered the coffee and bakery station by the Sea View Pool. During breakfast, they used the Slice for that! It was awesome...from then on, we ate our breakfast out at the pool as everything was so handy. A nice change, too.

When we first sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010, Slice wasn't used in the morning for anything.

I thought that was a clever idea to turn it into the Bakery with pastries and coffee and tea.

Thanks for the tip. We'll have to look for this on our next cruises.

Tea is at 3:00 in the Main Dining Room and has lots of goodies, both sweet and savory. Wonderful events.

Yes, that's lovely - now and then. However, I don't want to wait in line to be seated with others, and served in turn, when all I want is a quick cup of tea and little pastry or croissant to go with it. On my own.;)

Yes, that's lovely - now and then. However, I don't want to wait in line to be seated with others, and served in turn, when all I want is a quick cup of tea and little pastry or croissant to go with it. On my own.;)

We always come in a little late, always get a table for two, and the trays are already getting passed around and out so we get quick service. Agree, lines are not fun. We also abandoned the idea of dressing up a bit for the event, and come in just as we are, particularly after a shore excursion.

It does work as a quick, mid-afternoon snack if you work it right for what you want. Not sure when they start wrapping it up - but there is at least a half hour to maybe an hour you can enjoy the Tea Time snacks. 3-4pm covered.

We always come in a little late, always get a table for two, and the trays are already getting passed around and out so we get quick service. Agree, lines are not fun. We also abandoned the idea of dressing up a bit for the event, and come in just as we are, particularly after a shore excursion.

It does work as a quick, mid-afternoon snack if you work it right for what you want. Not sure when they start wrapping it up - but there is at least a half hour to maybe an hour you can enjoy the Tea Time snacks. 3-4pm covered.

Exactly. Limited time. It obviously suits you but likely not too many others. I like a little flexibility when on vacation and not regimented times for this and that, including a snack.