Royal afternoon tea ?-- On Royal Princess?

Jetswdo

I was looking at recent patters on the Royal that a few people were kind enough to post- None of them showed the "Royal Afternoon tea " for $10.00 that someone posted--- I see the regular 330-4:30 tea times scheduled- but not the special one that is supposed to be wonderful on Princess ships. Has this been discontinued, or is it only on certain ships? Anita

From the Princess web site:

Tea Tower – Featuring a tea sommelier and a choice of 250 blends, tea lovers will revel in Royal Princess’ unique tea tower located in the ship’s central Piazza. Here passengers can enjoy pre-blended tea varieties or create their own custom flavors. The ship’s tea sommelier, an expert on tea blends, will host tea tasting events and a new Royal Afternoon Tea Experience, inspired by some of the most famous tea spots in London.

From the Princess web site:

Tea Tower – Featuring a tea sommelier and a choice of 250 blends, tea lovers will revel in Royal Princess’ unique tea tower located in the ship’s central Piazza. Here passengers can enjoy pre-blended tea varieties or create their own custom flavors. The ship’s tea sommelier, an expert on tea blends, will host tea tasting events and a new Royal Afternoon Tea Experience, inspired by some of the most famous tea spots in London.

Interesting. But during 30 days aboard the Royal, I think I would have seen this at least once. Never did.

I spent quite a bit of time on the Royal in The Piazza late afternoon when they had dance lessons. On a few occasions I could see them doing something special in the part of the Piazza where they have couches and chairs. It was a circular section behind a rail near the piano. They had white table cloths on the tables and servers. I assumed it was for the Royal Tea. As Pam said, the Tea in the dining room is very good and at no charge, just didn't seem as 'fancy' as the one they were holding in the Piazza. Nevertheless, I always enjoy the one in the dining room.

Edited by sasha'smom

I was looking at recent patters on the Royal that a few people were kind enough to post- None of them showed the "Royal Afternoon tea " for $10.00 that someone posted--- I see the regular 330-4:30 tea times scheduled- but not the special one that is supposed to be wonderful on Princess ships. Has this been discontinued, or is it only on certain ships? Anita

Hi Anita,

On the Nov. 3rd sailing, this tea was held on the final Sea Day. It was not listed in the Patter for that Saturday.

You do have to sign up in advance at the International Café, as the number of people who can attend is limited. It is held beside the Piazza, as indicated in an earlier post. There was a little talk on the history of tea, which was a bit difficult to hear, as there were dance lessons in the Piazza at the same time.

It was a nice experience, but I enjoyed the tea in the Concerto Dining Room just as much, and there you can get a table with an ocean view. Each to his own.

Someone posted this on CC:

Royal Afternoon Tea. On sea days in the sitting area under the stairs in the Atrium. Limited to 24 people (they only have 12 tea sandwich stands) and you have to sign up for it in advance. You try a number of different teas (your choice) or make your own blended teas. They use tea pots with built-in tea infusers and you can have a number of pots of tea on your table concurrently, not sure if there's a limit to how many you can have.

Costs: $10 pp, or $20 pp with champagne

I have never gone on a ship for tea time. Did this in London years ago.

So the one on the Piazza is to sample different teas? Just wanted to understand what this was about.... Thanks again, Anita

In the Piazza you pay; in the dining room it's free. I never once saw them have it in the Piazza in the 30 days I was on board. Of course I might have missed one or two, but this was never advertised.