Diamonds - Lounges & Drinks Packages

NathUK

As Diamond What Would I Do If The Premium Package Was $40  

142 members have voted

1. 1. As Diamond What Would I Do If The Premium Package Was $40

• I would buy the drinks package and still use the DL
    • I would buy the drinks package and not use the DL
    • I would not buy the drinks package, would go DL and not buy alcoholic drinks outside
    • I would not buy the drinks package, would go DL, would buy some alcoholic drinks outside of it
    • I would not buy the drinks package, continue not going DL
    • I already purchase package so RCI would lose their $15 a day extra. I do not go DL
    • I already purchase package so RCI would lose their $15 a day extra. I do go DL
    • I would consider one of the other packages if they were cheaper but continue to go DL
    • I would consider one of the other packages if they were cheaper but not to go DL
    • I don’t care either way and wonder what I'm doing in this thread

People are always posting about how the Diamond lounges are so crowded.

I personally don't intend to use it even when I hit Diamond as since the drinks packages were introduced my wife and I will likely spend the $55 or more the premium package costs outside of the DL opening hours and during dinner.

I wondered if there was a C&A discount for Diamonds and up on the packages how many more would go for this and alleviate pressure on the lounges.

So completely hypothetically.

I've kept it to premium as it makes it easier than 50 million options.

Premium = $55 a day. Lets say - cost of 2 x glasses of wine @ $8 and for ease, say $40.

So the question is, As Diamond or over (or when you become it), which of the following statements suites you best.

Be careful with your responses, some are very similar.

Edited by NathUK

I'm not Diamond yet so I didn't participate in the poll. I will be shortly though and am watching with interest if RCI will provide a Diamond discount for the drink packages. It would seem to me, offering this simple discount would allow the same access to the DL for all Diamond and above and help with over crowding. I have no idea if I would use the DL (once I'm Diamond), it seems I would for the drinks, but if I got a discount on the package I would likely buy that and not use the DL except for instances when I needed the Concierge.

Just my opinion. Curious for those who actually use the DL if they would buy the package and likely not attend the nightly happy hour?

We just use the sea pass and charge as we go. I don't drink, so I purchase diet cokes. My husband varies what he drinks. We do go to the Diamond Lounge to socialize with others. I usually have a diet coke and he has a glass of wine (before dinner). We have met many lovely people there. We enjoy the fact that Royal gives us a place to congregate and treats us to a drink (whether it be diet coke, wine or a mixed cocktail) and before dinner hor 'd orves. I would hope that the Diamond Lounge remains intact.

We drink 2-3 glasses of wine/champagne in the DL before dinner. Occasionally, we buy a bottle of wine at a specialty restuarant. Otherwise, we also drink 2-3 diet cokes a day. A discount on a drink package would not be beneficial to us as we would not drink any more than what I mentioned and it would not be financially worth it. I hope they continue the diamond lounge for those of us who have reached diamond. We are working towards diamond plus, but it may be a few years to reach that.

The drink package would be an absolute waste of money for us, we'd never drink that much. And we tend to taper off as the cruise winds down.

You can't beat free drinks in the lounge and if you get to know the concierge well, you end up getting really good poors and some extras:D Hey you can drink as much as you like free in there! Then with a couple bottles of bring on wine along with another couple freebies with Diamond coupons.....

Edited by BecciBoo

We will continue to go to the lounge to meet other frequent cruisers. Do not drink that much, would buy drinks at other lounges during the day and would not buy package because of the amount we don't drink.

How do you vote? Tried to click on my choice but nothing happened.

We don't really use the DL (I've been maybe twice had one drink each time)

I would never buy a drink package, and it's OT, but I would like to see them resolve crowding by loading " a free drink" or two onto my sea pass to be used daily anywhere between 5-8, like they have on recent TA's.

The OP makes a great and valid point regarding the discounting of the drinks package for C&A members, and that's something that RCI may well look at doing now that they've removed the restrictions regarding both stateroom guests having to purchase the same package. However the drinks package and the CL or DL are two completely separate issues. So many people who read these threads are given the misconception that the lounges are used only for free drinking. That's simply not the case. Yes, it's a nice perk and a well deserved one too, but it's not ALL that the lounges are there for. The provision of a separate area for the most loyal of guests allows us to meet and mingle with fellow and like-minded passengers who are seasoned travellers and with whom we are likely to have a great deal in common. It's also a peaceful haven for those who want to relax and read or catch up on their correspondence. The availability of a dedicated staff member to assist with any concerns or issues is a huge benefit too. So, it's not all about the free drink. Too many people use the excuse of the free drinks to save on their bar tab and simply don't drink anywhere else on the ship, I've had several occasions when I've met people in the DL who are quite proud that they drink for free each night from it opens until it closes and at the end of the cruise their stateroom tab will be zero. Fine, but they are, thankfully, in the minority. In essence, what I'm getting at is that reducing the cost of the drinks packages for loyal guests would be a great additional perk, but it won't stop those people from 'hogging' the lounges because they would never buy it anyway. And for those of us who do enjoy a drink or three, we'll buy it AND enjoy a few 'free' drinks in the lounge as well. As a D+ I'm happy to say that I've earned the right to my free drinks, but I would never abuse the system.

I find it interesting that some posters seem to think that everyone wants a discounted drinks package. Look at the numbers please. 42% will not buy the drinks package and want the Diamond Lounge and buy drinks out of pocket. If you look at those that do not want the drinks package, want the DL and won't buy drinks, the total that don't want the drinks package but do want the DL is 50%. The other 50% is spread out among the other answers. There are 10 choices and 50% are out of two very similar answers. That's pretty definitive so far.

Edited by BND

The OP makes a great and valid point regarding the discounting of the drinks package for C&A members, and that's something that RCI may well look at doing now that they've removed the restrictions regarding both stateroom guests having to purchase the same package. However the drinks package and the CL or DL are two completely separate issues. So many people who read these threads are given the misconception that the lounges are used only for free drinking. That's simply not the case. Yes, it's a nice perk and a well deserved one too, but it's not ALL that the lounges are there for. The provision of a separate area for the most loyal of guests allows us to meet and mingle with fellow and like-minded passengers who are seasoned travellers and with whom we are likely to have a great deal in common. It's also a peaceful haven for those who want to relax and read or catch up on their correspondence. The availability of a dedicated staff member to assist with any concerns or issues is a huge benefit too. So, it's not all about the free drink. Too many people use the excuse of the free drinks to save on their bar tab and simply don't drink anywhere else on the ship, I've had several occasions when I've met people in the DL who are quite proud that they drink for free each night from it opens until it closes and at the end of the cruise their stateroom tab will be zero. Fine, but they are, thankfully, in the minority. In essence, what I'm getting at is that reducing the cost of the drinks packages for loyal guests would be a great additional perk, but it won't stop those people from 'hogging' the lounges because they would never buy it anyway. And for those of us who do enjoy a drink or three, we'll buy it AND enjoy a few 'free' drinks in the lounge as well. As a D+ I'm happy to say that I've earned the right to my free drinks, but I would never abuse the system.

Everyone is well aware of the comradery offered in the DL and that is definitely why most of us go there, but just because people drink free is no reason to label people who take advantage of something that is freely given as a perk to C&A members as "abusers of the system or lounge hoggers"....jeez. We've made lifelong friends in the DL, but we will continue to accept the drinks offered there as well:cool: And we never end up with zero tabs, we do buy drinks at other lounges and plenty of them.

Edited by BecciBoo

So -

DL = Diamond+ Members and Diamond Members, no free drinks, but well discounted drink packages (more so for D+)

CL = Suite Guests & Pinnacle, free drinks

D & D+ get their camaraderie which is clearly stated as the important aspect of the lounge, the people just there for the free drinks will reduce overcrowding in the DL...

Suite guests will have a place to sit in the CL easily again along with the deserving Pinnacles..

(Yeah yeah, just stirring the pot that's where this thread was headed anyway, right? :))

Everyone is well aware of the comradery offered in the DL and that is definitely why most of us go there, but just because people drink free is no reason to label people who take advantage of something that is freely given as a perk to C&A members as "abusers of the system or lounge hoggers"....jeez. We've made lifelong friends in the DL, but we will continue to accept the drinks offered there as well:cool: And we never end up with zero tabs, we do buy drinks at other lounges and plenty of them.

But can't you see that you've just reinforced my point? You, like me, enjoy the DL for the reasons you mention. My point regarding the price reductions in drinks packages for C&A members would do nothing to reduce the congestion in the lounges, because the people causing the congestion do not, nor would they ever, buy drinks. They abuse the system in the lounges, hence the congestion.

But can't you see that you've just reinforced my point? You, like me, enjoy the DL for the reasons you mention. My point regarding the price reductions in drinks packages for C&A members would do nothing to reduce the congestion in the lounges, because the people causing the congestion do not, nor would they ever, buy drinks. They abuse the system in the lounges, hence the congestion.

The congestion is not caused by abuse (your wording not mine). The DL offers free drinks and appetizers. D's take advantage of what is offered to them. It's not abuse. The lounges aren't the issue as they can easily move to other venues. The issue is the CL because they rarely expand into other lounges. They don't need to for suite guests, but the number of D+ and above drive that train.

Saying using the DL/CL is abusing the system is like saying taking advantage of other benefits (balcony discounts, free photos, free internet minutes) is abusing the system.

We enjoy the DL/D events for many reasons, meeting people, "free" drinks (nothing is ever free), and relaxing before dinner. The price reductions in drink packages wouldn't mean much, as the poll indicates. The drink package would be a huge waste of money for us. I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a day, including in the DL. DH drinks maybe 1 and we don't drink soda. Why should I vote to waste my money on such a package? It's been shown that only a few people ever benefit from the drinks packages (just read the threads and there's usually only a handful who do, the rest say it wasn't worth it). Sorry, but I can't imagine ever drinking 5-6 drinks a day. Our bar bill on our last cruise in Nov (7 night Allure) was not quite $200 and we had maybe 3 drinks total between us each night in the DL.

The congestion is not caused by abuse (your wording not mine). The DL offers free drinks and appetizers. D's take advantage of what is offered to them. It's not abuse. The lounges aren't the issue as they can easily move to other venues. The issue is the CL because they rarely expand into other lounges. They don't need to for suite guests, but the number of D+ and above drive that train.

Saying using the DL/CL is abusing the system is like saying taking advantage of other benefits (balcony discounts, free photos, free internet minutes) is abusing the system.

We enjoy the DL/D events for many reasons, meeting people, "free" drinks (nothing is ever free), and relaxing before dinner. The price reductions in drink packages wouldn't mean much, as the poll indicates. The drink package would be a huge waste of money for us. I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a day, including in the DL. DH drinks maybe 1 and we don't drink soda. Why should I vote to waste my money on such a package? It's been shown that only a few people ever benefit from the drinks packages (just read the threads and there's usually only a handful who do, the rest say it wasn't worth it). Sorry, but I can't imagine ever drinking 5-6 drinks a day. Our bar bill on our last cruise in Nov (7 night Allure) was not quite $200 and we had maybe 3 drinks total between us each night in the DL.

My attempts at explaining myself here are being taken the wrong way. The original post was regarding C&A members being offered a discount on the drinks packages as a possible way of reducing congestion in the lounges. And it included a poll so we could vote on what our views were. I agree with your views, the package would be no use to you, even at a reduced rate. I, on the other hand, purchase the package because I like to drink (I like to try a lot of cocktails) and not worry about the cost. I also enjoy going to the DL and (now that I'm D+) the CL. For the reasons you state, namely meeting fellow D and D+, and now also meeting P's as well. And, yes, I do enjoy the nibbles and the 'free' drinkies. My point, the only point of contention, is that some guests do not buy ANY drinks, plonk themselves in the lounge at 4.00pm and don't leave until 8.30pm, drink in hand, having drank themselves senseless and 'hogged' seats whilst other visitors have to stand during their entire time in the lounge. Those same people who pride themselves in having a zero bar tab at the end of the week. I understand that as suite guests or fellow D, D+ or P's they have the 'right' to do so. But that doesn't make it right that they do so. And that, in my very humble opinion, is the cause of the problems of overcrowded lounges. I note that you say your bar tab was a few hundred dollars. That's great, but you're (and my, and many others) bar spend is contributing both to subsidising these peoples 'free' drinks as well as paying the tips for the staff that serve the 'free' drinks. The 'hoggers' provide no such funding. THAT'S my gripe. Rant over!

But the way you put it, was to condescendingly judge the people who just go to the lounge to drink. That is still not abuse and there is no right or wrong to it. They are entitled to do just that because of their long history of spending as diamonds. How can you possibly know that they never have bar tabs??? Even if they brag about it.

I think that is why you got the negative replies. It made us feel like you were labeling all of us. If you feel others are hogging the lounge, you need to get there early and grab your seat. But these people have just as much right to be there as you do, even if they never speak to another person in there.:)

• 1 month later...

We had a drink package on a recent cruise and NEVER went to the DL. In the past we ALWAYS go to DL or CL. You can meet fun people who enjoy cruising and want to hang out in any lounge on the ship. Yet we felt like we missed out on a "benefit" (free drinks) of the CL because we had the prepaid drink package. I feel like they should offer some sort of discount, at least for Pinnacle and D+, on the drink package. For D/D+ they offer coupons for 2 for 1 drinks etc., since drinks are "prepaid" in a package, those are worthless, I feel like they could do something. Price-wise it probably works out about the same for us either way,(maybe the package a tiny bit more); so do I go to DL/CL and then pay individually for drinks outside or pay upfront and get "free" drinks all over the ship. I may have just answered my own question. hmmm.....