When to purchase Insurance

Lkcossmfr

If I buy insurance now on a cruise scheduled for next September and cancel the cruise before final payment do I get the insurance refunded as well?

If so, is there any reason I would want to get it now?

This insurance thing is a little confusing to me

Edited by Lkcossmfr

Guest maddycat
If I buy insurance now on a cruise scheduled for next September and cancel the cruise before final payment do I get the insurance refunded as well?

If so, is there any reason I would want to get it now?

This insurance thing is a little confusing to me

The price of the insurance will not be refunded if you cancel the cruise. However, you might be allowed to use the insurance for another cruise.

I always buy our travel insurance with in a few days of booking our cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

Thanks!

So as I understand it ..if pre-existing conditions are not an issue there is no reason not to wait till final payment to get insurance?

I just don't want to find out later that I have missed some deadline or other.

Thanks!

So as I understand it ..if pre-existing conditions are not an issue there is no reason not to wait till final payment to get insurance?

If there is a specific policy you are considering I would contact the insurance company jus to talk all of this through.

Keith

Thanks!

You must purchase promptly if you want Cancel-for-any-reason coverage with a 3rd-party policy. TravelGuard, at least, also makes some of their other coverages dependent on prompt policy purchase. You'd have to read each policy you are considering to be sure.

If you want coverage for pre-existing conditions, you have to buy the insurance within the specified time, usually 2 to 3 weeks after booking.

I use TravelEx. If I have put down $200 (using a next cruise certificate) as a deposit on the cruise, I call them and get the minimum insurance coverage. As we get closer to the cruise and I purchase air fare and deposits on private excursions, I call them and add to the policy. When I make final payment, I add to the policy again.

This keeps you from laying out all that insurance premium if you have booked far in advance.

We had two B2B cruises planned for late March and April 2014. I had paid the minimum insurance for both cruises, intending to add later as we got our air tickets, etc.

Due to illness I had to cancel the trip and TravelEx refunded most of my premium, keeping a small amount for processing.

I don't know if other companies will allow you to do this, but with TravelEx, I can pay the minimum within the specified time for pre-existing conditions then add as the cost rises.

Thanks!

Suppose you had an accident or were diagnosed with something after making your deposit but before final payment. You think you are well enough to cruise so you buy insurance and make your final payment. Two weeks before your cruise you have a relapse and have to cancel. Your insurance would be worthless and you would get back little or nothing from the cruiseline.

Edited by Scrapnana