Breakfast room service ?

captain bob

I've been to a fab couples resort in the Riviera Maya where they have a box they put the room service in there and call you to let you know it's arrived. It was sooooooo nice!

Excellence? Playa Mujeres is our favorite resort in Mexico. Yes it is such a great setup. No trays on the floor outside of rooms when you put it in the box when done.

Is this serious? Really??? Yes you have to open the door!!!!

You just never know. The question is a valid one if you've never done it.

Stayed in a hotel on the French Riviera in Menton. Room service barged into the room, put the tray on a table at the foot of our bed, opened the blinds, and then the waitress ( in black with the white apron and cap) said " Bonjour Madame, Bonjour monsieur, votre petite dejeunier, bon appetit!"

My DH and I were both laying in bed stark naked. She didn't even bat an eyelash; we still joke about it 25 years later.

Excellence? Playa Mujeres is our favorite resort in Mexico. Yes it is such a great setup. No trays on the floor outside of rooms when you put it in the box when done.

Sssh!!! Quit telling people about this place. :p. The price has already increased so much there that we have decided to do an 11 day cruise to the Caribbean instead. I love cruising, but know I will miss Excellence this year too.

Yes, you must open the door. When ordering you choose a window for delivery by checking a box on the order form. Food service calls to let you know that the delivery will be arriving shortly. My experience has been that time of delivery is within minutes of that call and within the requested time band. Breakfast food orders are delivered by your cabin steward. You receive a call from food service about 15 mins after delivery to ask if the food arrived as ordered and is all okay.

Yes, you must open the door. When ordering you choose a window for delivery by checking a box on the order form. Food service calls to let you know that the delivery will be arriving shortly. My experience has been that time of delivery is within minutes of that call and within the requested time band. Breakfast food orders are delivered by your cabin steward. You receive a call from food service about 15 mins after delivery to ask if the food arrived as ordered and is all okay.

Wow, your experience has been very different than mine. Usually is it NOT the room steward who brings breakfast, but a special delivery person. If we order something from room service later in the day, like a snack, then it has been the steward who brings it. And I have never, in quite a few X cruises, received a phone call asking if we received our order!! Must be dependent on the Hotel or F&B manager.

Wow, your experience has been very different than mine. Usually is it NOT the room steward who brings breakfast, but a special delivery person. If we order something from room service later in the day, like a snack, then it has been the steward who brings it. And I have never, in quite a few X cruises, received a phone call asking if we received our order!! Must be dependent on the Hotel or F&B manager.

We almost always order room service for breakfast, and the only time it has been the steward delivering was when we had a Concierge room. This reminds me to ask: Is it still customary to tip a dollar or two when your steward is the one delivering? I did, but it felt awkward and he seemed surprised. I wondered if I insulted him.

We almost always order room service for breakfast, and the only time it has been the steward delivering was when we had a Concierge room. This reminds me to ask: Is it still customary to tip a dollar or two when your steward is the one delivering? I did, but it felt awkward and he seemed surprised. I wondered if I insulted him.

We've stayed in either concierge or Aqua cabins for all but 1 of our X cruises. If it's routine for cabin stewards to deliver room service to these types of cabins, then this may explain why some cruisers report different experiences. We've only ordered room service one time other than a breakfast; dinner from MDR on the Summit. We were told that MDR dinner orders had to go through the cabin steward, which meant we had to wait until the steward returned from his afternoon break to place the order. This resulted in a very long wait for our meal. The room steward explained that main dishes can only be acquired when they are prepared for the MDR diners. Since he reported after the early dining wave, then next opportunity wasn't until 2nd seating was ready for the main meal.

We always tip for deliveries, even if it's our cabin steward.

Whoever delivers, they have a key but will knock first. I guess if you want to remain in bed, just yell out "come in". He might even feed you if you smile nicely. :(

Sent from my ST27i using Forums mobile app

Now that I think about this, we've never tried calling out to come in. I usually jump into the bathroom while my DH opens the door. :o

I don't see how they could possibly open the door while carrying a heavy tray!

And I only tip the room steward extra if it's for a big meal, like a dinner, which we have done exactly twice in 30 years of cruising. But I do tip a delivery person; one cruise in CC we had the same young lady every morning, all dressed in white, who dashed in and dashed out. Finally on the last morning I stopped her long enough to hand her $20 for bringing our coffee each day.

Used to always be a F&B person, but for the last year or two it's been our butler in a suite or Room steward in our balcony or CClass cabin.

For us anyway.

It's doesn't vary by ship or demand does it?

Edited by A Sixth?

Used to always be a F&B person, but for the last year or two it's been our butler in a suite or Room steward in our balcony or CClass cabin.

For us anyway.

It's doesn't vary by ship or demand does it?

We were on Silhouette for 15 days earlier this year and the coffee was never brought by our steward(ess)--so who knows?

Actually, we recently discovered that rather that trying to guess what time we'll be waking up, we can just order the coffee from the TV when we're ready and we usually receive it within 5-10 minutes. It's easy if you have an early port day planned, but harder on sea days to try to figure out the night before when you'll wake up. I'm one of those people who sets up the coffee pot the night before, so I only have to stumble into the kitchen and press 'go' when I wake up!!

Now that I think about this, we've never tried calling out to come in. I usually jump into the bathroom while my DH opens the door. :o

That happens with us too, maybe because my wife is usually naked straight out of bed :D

We have ordered room service a lot on days we have tours or excursions. We find that they always call before they send down the tray, however, once we were awaked even before our wake up call (about 40 minutes earlier than we expected breakfast). I got up turned on the light and opened the door in my PJs, fortunately the attendant was male. That is the only time I have not tipped an attendant for delivering room service.

Normally, you indicate on the menu card a time period when you want breakfast delivered, like 6-6:30, and they generally deliver on the earlier of that bracket.

We had a similar situation In Princess. They delivered an hour early. On Carnival our friends next door got their breakfast on time. We ended up at the buffet when ours didn't come at all. We had a message when we got back from our excursion that they tried to deliver at 815 but we weren't there. Of course we weren't. Our excursion left at 730 and we expected breakfast at 630.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app