Sheraton/Melia Jan 2014

Katrine822

We were there this past Thursday, gorgeous resort and thank God for a nice day since we had rain in Port Canavaral and the ship could not dock in Freeport due to bad weather and high winds. Just an FYI I didn't pay for an excursion on my own in Freeport, lots of people had and are now worried about getting their money back. If they have walk up which they do at Melia I would just pay when you get there and not before. We got off the ship at 11:15 we took the #10 Jitney cost is 6.00 for a family of 4, resort was $30 for the day pass, we got a pizza from starbucks it was 9.75 we all had a slice and it was good til we got back on the ship. Also we saw a family of 6 walk right on the beach without paying, security was right there and did not say anything. My husband said you don't have to pay for the day pass unless you want to use the water sports (kayak, stand up surf, mats, snorkel gear) I'm not sure about that but there were people on the beach without bracelets and they had carnival towels so they were not resort guests. We left at 4 pm got back on the ship by 5 and it was a perfect relaxing day. They have a heated pool they had nice carribbean music playing, we did not see any fish snorkeling btw.

Thank You to Gary, YellowSerenity & louteejay

Based on your info we have decided this is the place for us.

You have set our minds at ease & I will pass this info on to others in our CC & FB group that were wondering.

Pat

We left at 4:00 also that day. The taxi ride was about 30 mins but you need to allow time to go through the security check point at the port and the long walk back to the ship. I was on the Breakaway which was the furthest of the 3 ships in port that day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

For the people that were here recently, was that big blue inflatable up? It looks like something my daughter would enjoy. If it was, do you know what it was exactly? Also, I know someone mentioned that there was no fish seen while snorkeling; did you see coral? Thank you!

. Also we saw a family of 6 walk right on the beach without paying, security was right there and did not say anything. My husband said you don't have to pay for the day pass unless you want to use the water sports (kayak, stand up surf, mats, snorkel gear) I'm not sure about that but there were people on the beach without bracelets and they had carnival towels so they were not resort guests. We left at 4 pm got back on the ship by 5 and it was a perfect relaxing day. They have a heated pool they had nice carribbean music playing, we did not see any fish snorkeling btw.

ALL outside guests are supposed to pay to use the beach and property.. security was just being lax. These days they are hit or miss until management makes it an issue and fires them.

The bottom line is.. if you know you are supposed to pay for a day pass.. then sneaking in would be theft of services.. and immoral.

Is "day use" all inclusive? What does that mean exactly?

No, day use means the use of the property for the day. Beach, pools, restrooms, towel service, loungers, security, lifeguards and non-motorized beach toys.

For additional $$, you can get lunch included.

So, we can take a jitney to the Melia property at the cost of about $2 pp? How far away is the Melia from the cruise ship dock?

Yes, the #10 jitney from downtown is just $1.25 ea. way. Just tell the driver where you want to get off and pay as you leave. Drivers don''t usually give change, so have the right amount.

Melia is 5 miles from the cruise ship dock.

I'm so glad to hear they are still doing day passes! We were interested in Blue Lagoon but we arrive in port at 11 and that just doesn't work with the ferry schedule.

We are wondering about getting to the hotel -- we have a 6 month old and want to be sure he's safe on the ride. Are taxis available that we could put his car seat in?

I'm so glad to hear they are still doing day passes! We were interested in Blue Lagoon but we arrive in port at 11 and that just doesn't work with the ferry schedule.

We are wondering about getting to the hotel -- we have a 6 month old and want to be sure he's safe on the ride. Are taxis available that we could put his car seat in?

taxi's are available outside the port gates. Should be about $20.

I am soo confused by all of this . What is a day pass for ? and why do I want one ?

we will be there on 1/23 .

A day pass is needed to access the property and use the beach in front of the hotel. It also allows you use of the pools, loungers and facilities.

Without paying for a day pass, hotel security will ask you to leave.

There are public beaches in Nassau. (free).

But they are not as nice, and they are generally not maintained. Very few have any amenities or restrooms, and NONE have lifeguards.

I you want to enjoy a nice clean hotel beach with security and facilities, you'll need to pay for a day pass.

A day pass is needed to access the property and use the beach in front of the hotel. It also allows you use of the pools, loungers and facilities.

Without paying for a day pass, hotel security will ask you to leave.

There are public beaches in Nassau. (free).

But they are not as nice, and they are generally not maintained. Very few have any amenities or restrooms, and NONE have lifeguards.

I you want to enjoy a nice clean hotel beach with security and facilities, you'll need to pay for a day pass.

there are too many to choose from - in your opinion , which one would you book ?

Could someone tell me specifically what "non-motorized beach equipment" is offered at the Melia at Cable Beach? Am curious if it includes a water trampoline, paddles boats, aqua cycles, kayaks, snorkeling equipment? Also, are there "for fee" activities, i.e., banana boat rides, water slides, water skiing, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1 month later...

Could someone tell me specifically what "non-motorized beach equipment" is offered at the Melia at Cable Beach? Am curious if it includes a water trampoline, paddles boats, aqua cycles, kayaks, snorkeling equipment? Also, are there "for fee" activities, i.e., banana boat rides, water slides, water skiing, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I just wanted to say that we had a day room on Jan 24. They did not honor the price we were quoted for the day room. We were overcharged. I have sent a few e-mails, contacted the resort and left a message with the manager. Still waiting for a response.

The only reason I did not catch the overcharge was that my husband checked us out while I was checking on our pre-arranged taxi. They just handed my husband the receipt which was higher than quoted.

We took a cab to the fish fry for lunch because the $19.00 hamburger and $4.00 pop seemed a bit too much for a family of four. This cab driver recommended Twin Brothers. The food was good, my husband and I shared the grouper fingers, and conch fritters, our son had cracked conch, daughter had hamburger and fries and a slice of carrot cake (delicious) I had a diet coke everyone else had water. The bill was 93.00USD. Plus the cab fare there and back, in hindsight we should have ordered the $19.00 burger.

I spoke with the front desk of Melia today, they told me they only do the day passes for $30.00 and the room rate would be 25% off the daily rate.

I will keep everyone posted on whether they refunded the overcharge. :)

Maybe there has been some stuff lost in translation as they are converting over from a Sheraton to a Melia property. You should definitely be compensated. Copy Andrew.Tilley@Melia.com on your emails - he is the new GM and I'm sure you will get swift resolution if he gets involved. This isn't some Super 8 in the middle of nowhere - it's a 700 room resort in the Bahamas...You Canadians are way too nice :)

On a side note - food in the Bahamas is expensive. I've been to the grocery stores and even the locals pay high prices for food. They don't produce anything in the Bahamas (other than beer and rum) - it's all shipped in from the US and Canada - high cost of fuel and government tariffs makes the costs higher...Best bet is to buy packages that include food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to book the melia day pass with lunch for the week of march 8. Some people were saying that they stop selling if they fill up or turn away younger people to keep out the spring breakers. Were in our mid 20's and not looking for a spring break atmosphere but I don't want to get stuck. Someone recommended ***** which sells the melia passes online. How does that work? Also does anyone know if you book with the third party if you are guaranteed a pass or could it happen that they sell out and don't honor the third party?