Noro is alive & well on Legend

Big is such a relative term. If it were 1 case and that 1 case was me, this would be a BIG problem. If it were 50 people on a ship that carries 5,000 guests and 2,500 crew... that's ~0.6%, which isn't big at all.

Edited by poncho1973

And, what do you call a big outbreak? Any factual #'s?

No self serve is automatic with 1 case, to hold down spreading

Our experience has been that with a Noro outbreak, self-service was eliminated when a certain percentage of cases have been reported and are being treated. It takes more than 1 case to stop the self service process.

Edited by cruisenfever

Not exactly correct. Have been on ships with Noro and self-service is eliminated when a certain percentage of cases have been reported and are being treated.

That's correct also. Sometimes with a confirmed case and a bunch of others sick they will take away the self serve for precaution. In, fact a while back when we docked in coz the captain came on and warned of a Noro outbreak on the ship tied up at the dock next to us, and asked everyone to take extra precaution and there was no selfserv on our ship for lunch, but all was ok later. So each cruise is different

Edited by setsail

Our experience has been that with a Noro outbreak, self-service was eliminated when a certain percentage of cases have been reported and are being treated. It takes more than 1 case to stop the self service process.

You're right. I worked 4 years on cruise ships, and I think the number of trips where there were NO reported cases were very few and far between. The self-service will be discontinued when there is an increasing trend in reported cases. Since this has not made the CDC/USPH website yet, it has not reached the 3% of passengers or crew level, which is when USPH posts it as an outbreak. USPH must be notified by the ship via "special report" when the reported cases reaches 2% of passengers or crew, and again when it reaches 3%.

About the noro, it is anywhere and everywhere, and it is a PITA to get it on a vacation. Drink more cocktails that have lots of alcohol in them,for medicinal purposes, it may not keep the noro at bay, but at least you will fell like you tried.

Not surprising with the amount of people I've seen leaving public restrooms without washing their hands. :eek:

ditto! even if you just walked in to fix your hair or make-up, you still touched the door handle. it takes a couple of moments and is the best way to stop the transfer of many illnesses. Why are people so disgusting? my DH and I will use the hand sanitizer walking into the WJ, get our food, and use our own hand sanitizer again.

sometimes i wonder if people purposely do not do the things their parents told them to do a million times as kids just out of spite because they are "adults."

And, what do you call a big outbreak? Any factual #'s?

No self serve is automatic with 1 case, to hold down spreading

We probably won't see the numbers until later, but its pretty obvious to an experienced cruiser when there's an outbreak going on just by watching the behavior of the crew (enhanced cleaning protocols, stopping self-service, etc.)... so I'm inclined to at least believe the OP that there's some degree of outbreak.

Edited by Dave85

Getting on her Thursday. If its true, doesn't this typically delay embarkation?

Not necessarily. While I don't doubt there is a noro issue onboard, I don't believe it is YET a "big outbreak". The crew will be fogging public areas every night, and sanitizing cabins daily until the end of the trip. On turn around day, they will fog again, and sanitize, but unless the numbers of reported cases continued to rise right up until the last day, and they either hit or exceeded the reporting percentage, this additional sanitizing will not delay embarkation. When the reporting percentage is hit, then a set protocol must be followed and reported to USPH, and this "deep cleaning" is what usually delays boarding.

Having said that, without seeing the daily numbers (senior ship's management used to discuss this at our normal morning meeting), I don't know whether you will be delayed or not.

Getting on her Thursday. If its true, doesn't this typically delay embarkation?

I wouldn't say "typically" but it definitely can depending on the scope. I had embarkation on an RCI cruise once delayed by a couple hours for a noro "deep clean" ...and there wasn't a single person in that crowded terminal complaining one bit once they found out why we were delayed! Clean clean clean.

Not surprising with the amount of people I've seen leaving public restrooms without washing their hands. :eek:

I'm always amazed by these replies.. who hangs out in a public restroom long enough to see "the amount of people" which implies a large number of folks. I would be more concerned about someone who would hang around a public restroom long enough to see an 'amount' of people.

I'm always amazed by these replies.. who hangs out in a public restroom long enough to see "the amount of people" which implies a large number of folks. I would be more concerned about someone who would hang around a public restroom long enough to see an 'amount' of people.
Sounds like a "crazy" statement!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would think they meant they were washing their hands with soap for the length of time needed and watched others walk by and out the door, or just swish with water and leave.

As I have seen happen many times, while I am still at the sink washing with soap and water.:eek:

Has anyone on here tried Zylast or heard any first hand reports of its effectiveness? I bought a bottle of both the antiseptic and antiseptic lotion for each member of my family to take on our cruise in a couple weeks and hoping it serves as an extra measure of protection from any nasties we may come in contact with.

I had an experience with this last week, so I would like to add a comment! There are bigger stalls in the public restrooms that have a sink INSIDE them. I don't think some people realize this. As I left the stall and passed the normal sinks, I heard a woman gasp and say "she's walking out and didn't even wash her hands!" to the other women in the restroom. So just because you see someone leave without washing in front of you, it doesn't mean they didn't wash their hands.

...and there wasn't a single person in that crowded terminal complaining one bit once they found out why we were delayed! Clean clean clean.

I wouldn't complain either as I prefer a deep cleaning. But it would be convenient to know if there is a delay ahead of time so that I wouldn't have to leave work earlier than necessary. I'm planning to work half a day.

I keep hand gel in my pockets or backpack and take wipes and immediately clean the TV remote for DH, doorknobs, telephone, safe...DH did not carry his hand gel on the ship as often as in the past and he and a friend both became ill with upper respiratory the day we left the ship.

Now, this may offend some and I apologize, but while on our last cruise, I was appalled @the number of people who put their empty water bottles into the water dispensers and refilled them. It was bad enough to see people refill their huge personal thermal cups, but come on...water bottles with the opening against the public dispenser.

Carnival had a small sign beside the beverage bar: ' drink as much as you want, but please use a clean glass." Well, the high percentage of those I saw did not.

This was disturbing to me. It didn't ruin my cruise, but...

To the poster talking about being concerned about people noticing what is going on in a bathroom.....we are talking about a restroom on a ship where there are only a few stalls and sinks....and the major example is right before dining....ladies especially....I wonder what their own bathrooms must be like because all of a sudden go on a cruise and toilet paper can be thrown everywhere paper towels on the floor...and you got it...you are standing in line waiting your turn and just see ladies go from the stall out the door...and these stalls do not have a sink either...so yep gives one the chills...just saying...

I had an experience with this last week, so I would like to add a comment! There are bigger stalls in the public restrooms that have a sink INSIDE them. I don't think some people realize this. As I left the stall and passed the normal sinks, I heard a woman gasp and say "she's walking out and didn't even wash her hands!" to the other women in the restroom. So just because you see someone leave without washing in front of you, it doesn't mean they didn't wash their hands.

I'm sure that might be the case for some people, but I've seen people do this in non-cruise ship bathrooms that definitely do not have sinks inside of the stalls more times than I can count.

Edited by crazyventures