Amsterdam Viking hold luggage on disembarkation day ??

SeaTheWorldBySea

We are doing Budapest to Amsterdam next year. Where in Amsterdam does Viking dock? We would like to leave our luggage onboard while we tour for the day then return to the ship, pick it up and take the train to our hotel near the airport. Does that sound like a reasonable plan to those who have disembarked in Amsterdam?

We have never cruised with Viking, but have cruised with Grand Circle out of Amsterdam. Viking and Grand Circle docked in the same area, a very short distance from the Centraal Train Sation., see MAP. Given the disembarkation and embarkation, the cleaning, etc., I don't know that it would be practical to leave luggage on the ship. I would recommend taking the luggage, when you disembark, to the train station, and leave it in a locker, see info. The station is in the heart of the city and there are tourist information people right outside the front door to assist you. It is a huge but very well organized train station with direct service to the airport. If you walk from the dock, you will be going in the back door. If you can get a taxi for the short ride, you would be coming in the front door.

We have never cruised with Viking, but have cruised with Grand Circle out of Amsterdam. Viking and Grand Circle docked in the same area, a very short distance from the Centraal Train Sation., see MAP. Given the disembarkation and embarkation, the cleaning, etc., I don't know that it would be practical to leave luggage on the ship. I would recommend taking the luggage, when you disembark, to the train station, and leave it in a locker, see info. The station is in the heart of the city and there are tourist information people right outside the front door to assist you. It is a huge but very well organized train station with direct service to the airport. If you walk from the dock, you will be going in the back door. If you can get a taxi for the short ride, you would be coming in the front door.

Thank you so much - this is valuable information for us as we plan!

You certainly can leave your luggage in a locker at the train station. However, Viking does provide an area to set aside luggage for departing passengers (vs that of embarking passengers). We had deliberately scheduled a late flt out of Amsterdam on disembarkation day so that we could do some sightseeing before heading for the airport. After b'fast, we set our luggage outside our cabin so that it could be placed in the luggage storage area by the crew(this is all discussed the evening b/f, as to how to handle & tag your baggage). We then set off on our sightseeing.

You certainly can leave your luggage in a locker at the train station. However, Viking does provide an area to set aside luggage for departing passengers (vs that of embarking passengers). We had deliberately scheduled a late flt out of Amsterdam on disembarkation day so that we could do some sightseeing before heading for the airport. After b'fast, we set our luggage outside our cabin so that it could be placed in the luggage storage area by the crew(this is all discussed the evening b/f, as to how to handle & tag your baggage). We then set off on our sightseeing.

Thank you for your post! Would you mind sharing a bit more of your experience touring Amsterdam for 1 day? We are thinking of taking a walking tour & booking tickets to see Anne Franks house afterwards. Did you take a taxi to the airport - or the train?

You can find Viking's docking location on the website.

We are sailing Basel to Amsterdam next June and in my research (Trip Advisor Amsterdam Forum is a good resource) I've found WOW tours. If you Google, you will find out more information. I believe the walking tours are 3 hours every day starting at 10 am.

Thank you for your post! Would you mind sharing a bit more of your experience touring Amsterdam for 1 day? We are thinking of taking a walking tour & booking tickets to see Anne Franks house afterwards. Did you take a taxi to the airport - or the train?

Actually, much to my surprise, Viking had arranged a private van for us and another couple who also had a late flight. We were going to be picked up at the ship at 1:30 pm. So, we were able to return to the ship after our exploring, have a light lunch, and get our transport to the airport. So effortless. In our planning at home, we were not aware Viking would accommodate our late departure, so we were prepared to go to the airport with others who had early flights, put our bags in lockers, and take the train back to Amsterdam to sightsee.

As far as our sightseeing, Trip Advisor has a free City app for Amsterdam that I had downloaded to my Nook b/f leaving home. Once you download it, it works offline. It has great walking tours of the city, and an interactive map of restaurants, sites, etc. It's also downloadable for most smart phones.

Becki

Amsterdam is very easy to do on your own. Buy a tram pass and go wherever you want. Like others have said, the station is right by the dock. You can buy your passes there or on the trams themselves. We bought the advanced tickets to Anne Frank's house which was the best thing ever! We avoided a HUGE line. Almost felt guilty because it was raining and we just walked right in front of the people who had been waiting for hours. Dam Square is fun to experience. Of course, they are well known for their museums. Our friends took a canal tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Do your research before you get there so you know what YOU want to see. Sometimes group tours don't touch your interests.

Yes, you shouldn't have a problem with them storing your luggage, however, they will be taking on a lot of passengers and that luggage seems to be in the front hall too…so I'd make sure it was well marked. Also, make sure you know when they will be leaving!!!!

For a day? I'd get a canal boat pass (right in front of the train station is a main canal boat area)…there are multi-colored boat routes, and a pass will allow you to take any/all of them. That alone could take you all day and you can hop on hop off at will. One boat goes near the Anne Frank house, but there is an enormous line that will take a long time to get through. If you get your tickets in advance online (months before) you will be able to get in a shorter line. Someone else will have to tell you how long that might take. I'd do it first, so you know how much time you have for the remainder of your day.

Yes, you can walk it easily too, but the canal will show you so much more.

I second the idea of storing your luggage at the train station since you'll have to back track a bit if you go back to the dock, then to the train station, whereas the train station is right where you'll pick up the canal boat OR it's the starting point for your walking tour. Enjoy! We love Amsterdam!

• 1 month later...