Wrapped Xmas gifts onboard?

Sunshine101

Hi all,

Wondering if there would be an issue bringing wrapped stockings onboard for my kidlets when going through port security. Not sure if they go through baggage? I won't be wrapping them when flying because of TSA, but was planning on sending the wrapped gifts with my parents who are driving down to MIA. Was thinking that would save me from bringing wrapping paper and tape and all that crap. Thoughts?

I can't see there being an issue as long as nothing you are wrapping for the stockings are liquid (that would be mistaken for booze) or would look like something that is not allowed to be brought onboard.

They xray the suitcases and flag anything that looks like it may be a no-no. If they can see through suitcases, they can see through wrapping paper in the suitcases.

Just remember they need to be able to see anything in your luggage to look for bombs, etc... beyond liquor.

So as long as you are willing to receive your luggage with the gifts ripped open, if they need to check, then yeah, bring wrapped presents.

Personally, I would just bring some of that folded wrapping paper and tape and scissors in a luggage pocket.

Or like somebody already suggested, gift bags......

We did this a couple of years ago. It wasn't Christmas time, but actually our youngest daughters first cruise. She was 3 at the time and we did not know how she was going to act during the cruise since it was her first. We brought presents, wrapped, for each night and if she was good, she got to unwrap a present (all related to something that had to do with cruising). She worked hard at being good to earn that gift.

We did not have any problems with it in our luggage on the plane trip or by customs at the port. :)

We also brought a few on our last Christmas cruise last year with no issues either.

Just remember they need to be able to see anything in your luggage to look for bombs, etc... beyond liquor.

So as long as you are willing to receive your luggage with the gifts ripped open, if they need to check, then yeah, bring wrapped presents.

Personally, I would just bring some of that folded wrapping paper and tape and scissors in a luggage pocket.

Or like somebody already suggested, gift bags......

They won't "rip the gifts open" they won't even open your suitcases without you present. If anything in the xray of your suitcase is something they want to further look at, they will take it to the naughty room. So wrapped or not that would happen.

As I said above xrays see through canvas and plastic sides of suitcases, then they can see through paper as well.

They won't "rip the gifts open" they won't even open your suitcases without you present. If anything in the xray of your suitcase is something they want to further look at, they will take it to the naughty room. So wrapped or not that would happen.

As I said above xrays see through canvas and plastic sides of suitcases, then they can see through paper as well.

But if something in the presents looks squirrely on the scan, they will need to see inside the present. (if it is socks or undies, no biggie)

I stupidly packed a 6 pack of soda on a cruise a few years ago, right after the port banned sodas in your luggage.

My suitcase was opened, without me present, gone through, until they found the soda and a note placed inside when it was delivered to our cabin, still with the sodas.

(note basically said, please do not pack sodas in your luggage anymore)

So, yeah they can go through your luggage without you present.

(I think it was Port Canaveral)

Bill

Edited by bguppies

They won't "rip open" anything, but they will go through your luggage without you present. On our last cruise, we had a pair of scissors and a water bladder (a backpack with a water bladder for hiking) in our luggage, and it arrived with a letter inside saying that something showed up on the x-ray and they had searched it, but everything was found in order.

If its the gift or something locked they will most likely call you down to the "naughty" room to open it in front of them so they can check it out.