Recent Bannister Island Visitors?

Mullwi

I e-mailed RCCL to see if they still go there since it was reportedly sold. They said yes. Has anyone been there recently. Previous reviews were poor and wondering if possibly new owners have improved it at all. My daughter just wants a nice beach day and parents need shade. It looks like there used to be quite a bit under thatched umbrellas. Going early January. Thanks!

Edited by Mullwi

I e-mailed RCCL to see if they still go there since it was reportedly sold. They said yes. Has anyone been there recently. Previous reviews were poor and wondering if possibly new owners have improved it at all. My daughter just wants a nice beach day and parents need shade. It looks like there used to be quite a bit under thatched umbrellas. Going early January. Thanks!

Bannister Island was recently sold, so it has a new owner. We will be there next week with NCL. I will let you know how it was when we get back.

Bannister Island was recently sold, so it has a new owner. We will be there next week with NCL. I will let you know how it was when we get back.

Please do report back when you return. Many of us will be interested.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We just got back yesterday from the NCL Dawn. NCL is no longer going to Bannister Island, and after talking to a local there, no cruise ships will be going there in the near future. We decided to take NCL's beach break to Water Caye which is now the place they are offering. Here is my opinion....if you're looking for just a beach day to lounge on a chair, this may be the place for you. The two reasons we went were for the snorkeling ( which they said was very good) and to kayak (which they said they offered) With that being said....the snorkeling there is NON- EXISTENT! The water is murky, the bottom is mushy and they will not let you go out past the pier. When we asked about the Kayaks we were told a guide had to be with us, and again you could not go past the pier, which in a sense you could only kayak in the small swimming area. They are doing some construction there, so other than the beach area, they had the rest roped off and you could not wander around. We would not go back again.

Thanks for update. Can you tell me if there was much shade At water cay? My parents both have skin cancer so very important. Lastly, do you remember if they had floating beach mats... Top priority for daughter. Thanks again for prompt update. We leave in 10 days.

Edited by Mullwi

There are some trees for shade, some of the outside picnic tables had umbrellas, there were 2 buildings, one with picnic tables where you can eat, the other one is the bar. When we were there the only food that was available were nachos, fish fingers and bbq chicken. They also played loud music over the speakers, not sure if some older people would care for that.

Thanks for update. Can you tell me if there was much shade At water cay? My parents both have skin cancer so very important. Lastly, do you remember if they had floating beach mats... Top priority for daughter. Thanks again for prompt update. We leave in 10 days.

I did not see any floating mats there, however there were 2 water trampolines.

Edited by houseflipper48
forgot to add something

Carnival is still going to Bannister Island. I will be there in a couple weeks and will report back on it.

FYI...the day we were at Water Caye, a group from the Carnival Legend was also there. We did not find out they had switched from Bannister to Water caye until we started asking questions the day before we were to take that excursion.

houseflipper48-Thank you for the heads up. I did some research and I found out that private tour companies are still going to Bannister Island. Some of the cruise ships are still playing hard ball with trying to get lower prices so that is why they are cancelling that excursion. I will hopefully be there in 10 days and will report back.:)

I went there in April 2013. Not sure when it was sold. It was a pleasant day. My kids had their swim masks and we saw 1 fish and 1 very large seastar. The sand was very sharp and we we were very thankful for our swim shoes. We did borrow the kayaks for no charge, and that was fun. There was a bar for drinks and a little bit of food for purchase. The souvenir shop was practically empty.

I watched a new episode on Island Hunters on HgTV last night. It follows the same format as House Hunters with the people looking at three islands to buy and end up buying one of them. This episode was in Belize and the couple bought Bannister Cay (Island). The video showed exactly what I remember from a Snorkel and Beach excursion I took in 2013 on NCL. I have no idea when this purchase happened (they did not say) but it was interesting seeing an island I have been too sell.

The buyer stated that they had a snorkel business and wanted to buy an island for customers to use and for their personal house. It sounded like the day trips would not be part of this person's business plan. But it was fun to see the island and hear that a true Caribbean beach (lots of sand flowing into the water, etc) is not really found in Belize.