Cruiser who have had Gastro Bypass Surgery...need help and advice,,,

Ebvette

OK, first I know this is an oddball type topic, but I had Gastro Bypass Surgery on Oct 23rd, and going on Carribean Princess cruise in mid January. Recovered from rare cancer caused by Agent Orange, but left my stomach a mess after taking daily chemo for 4.5 years. Thus the surgery.

So, my question is can people who might have had this offer some advice on what to eat, what I can eat, and just general advise, as most know I can eat very little, and this is very concerning to me....

Please I certainly could use the advise, I will be just off my mushy stage....

OK, first I know this is an oddball type topic, but I had Gastro Bypass Surgery on Oct 23rd, and going on Carribean Princess cruise in mid January. Recovered from rare cancer caused by Agent Orange, but left my stomach a mess after taking daily chemo for 4.5 years. Thus the surgery.

So, my question is can people who might have had this offer some advice on what to eat, what I can eat, and just general advise, as most know I can eat very little, and this is very concerning to me....

Thank you for your service.

Your question begs the question . . . What would you be eating at home if your weren't on the cruise?

The ship will be able to accommodate whatever dietary requirements and/or restrictions you might have.

Enjoy!

My best suggestion to anyone with special dietary requirements is to book into the Traditional Dining Room and inform your waiter that you have special needs. Your assigned Head Waiter (section manager) will visit you to discuss your specific needs. He or she will present you with the next evenings menus and discuss options that or best for you or suggest things you should avoid. If something special is required, it can be ordered with 24 hours notice (that's why they talk to you about the next day's menu). They are very accommodating and have seen everything. No need to be shy or embarrassed at. Feel free to ask for what works for you. Within reason they will do their very best to make it happen. Enjoy your cruise and hope that you are well on your way to improved health.

Oh - the same can be accomplished in any dining venue but I reco Traditional because you will have the same waitstaff every evening and they will know your needs better.

I had a friend some years ago who had the surgery and she could eat most foods but very little of any of it - just a bite. If this is true for you I would meet with the waiter as stated before this and also let them know how much you are allowed of each food that way you can try several things without feeling like you are leaving a full plate behind. I think you won't feel so left out. Of course you need to make sure the foods are not prohibited by your special diet according to your doctor's orders. The beauty of a cruise is there is so many different types of food that you are sure to have plenty of choices. I'm sure you know, but just don't over eat or you will pay for it. My friend often had that issue. Best of luck, and thanks for serving our country.

Hey, Mac;

Semper paratus!

Been about a year since we slung posts back and forth about the Triumph and Grandeur. Sorry to hear about your health.

I believe that there was a thread sometime early this year about the same topic, you might want to search CC.

While I cannot speak for specific foods, etc, I would recommend this:

1. Contact the special needs department of the cruise line. They will alert the ship.

2. Once onboard, contact guest services to speak to the Maitre 'D or Executive Chef. That will put the Executive Chef and the Chef Tournants in the loop that there will be a need for special cuisine.

3. Even on NCL, where there is no traditional dining, you can request the same server every meal, and save on the constant explaining.

4. As someone posted, follow your Dr's recommendations, and eat as you would if you were at home.

Have a good time on your cruise, I'll be heading back for another 2 month "tanker cruise" in the GOM.

I would stress to them not just what you can and can not eat but that you can't/won't be eating very much.

Most crew members this more is bettter. If you can't decide on two entrees then they bring both. While nice and all, in your case it wouldn't be.

You might want to call that out as well.

Thank you for your service, and best wishes for an easy recovery from the surgery.

In addition to using traditional dining, there are a number of venues where you can choose just a few bites throughout the day and evening. At the Horizon there is usually a pretty good variety to choose from, so you should see something that you can have and choose just the quantity you wish at the time. In addition, the International Cafe in the Piazza on deck 5 has a variety of items, and while the portions may not be quite as small as you would choose, you might find something appealing. They always have a soup available. Again, nobody will question your choice of a single item- you can probably safely consume 3/4 of the selection as long as it is something that is permitted on your eating plan.

Finally, there is a mini-fridge in your room, and you will be able to keep little snacks in there.

Wishing you a bon voyage!

Hey, Mac;

Semper paratus!

Been about a year since we slung posts back and forth about the Triumph and Grandeur. Sorry to hear about your health.

I believe that there was a thread sometime early this year about the same topic, you might want to search CC.

While I cannot speak for specific foods, etc, I would recommend this:

1. Contact the special needs department of the cruise line. They will alert the ship.

2. Once onboard, contact guest services to speak to the Maitre 'D or Executive Chef. That will put the Executive Chef and the Chef Tournants in the loop that there will be a need for special cuisine.

3. Even on NCL, where there is no traditional dining, you can request the same server every meal, and save on the constant explaining.

4. As someone posted, follow your Dr's recommendations, and eat as you would if you were at home.

Have a good time on your cruise, I'll be heading back for another 2 month "tanker cruise" in the GOM.

Really nice to hear from you again. actually I am doing great.....lost 65 lbs and going down each day. In no time I will be able to wear my dress blues.

Thanks for you and everybody else recommendations, just wanted to make sure I was not an odd ball, I already contact the cruise line and they told me same what everybody else is, so I know its good info, just plan to have a good time and celebrate life...:D

The cruiselines have lactose free milk. It is a lot better for your stomach.

Plain white rice is always served at lunch or dinner. It will be better for

your digestion than bread.

Princess has great icy sorbets that are tasty for dessert.

Baked potatoes are good too for your stomach. You can also order baked

fish. They have some simple soups to eat.

Princess will show you their dinner menu every evening for the next evening. You can also order foods that are not on the menu.

Princess has a lot of spicy foods on their menu I have noticed so watch

out. For example: the duck is marinated in a spicy sauce. Stay away from

any foods that have sauce because the sauce will bother your stomach.

My final advise is just to eat with family members because you could get

sick all of a sudden from some food that didn't agree with you. Try to

get a table near the front of the dinning room because the restroom is

located near the front door.

I have a friend who was exposed to agent orange and once in awhile he

will vomit coffee if he doesn't take his meds before eating.

Have lots of fun on the cruise. Eat to live and let your intuition tell you if a certain food is safe for you to eat. I have a delicate stomach and sometimes when I taste something and I don't feel it is safe for me to eat I just leave it on the table. The waiters don't care if you don't eat

something you don't like. They aim to please.

Sometimes I don't eat much and I just tell the waiter I am not hungry.

The Buffet is a great place to choose some simple snacks for you to take to your cabin. I like taking a banana back to my cabin. You can also request fruit for your cabin.

Always use the elevators instead of the stairs. It will be easier on your body. I know you will have a great time. Just take it slow and eat small

snacks all day that agree with you.

One nice thing about Princess is that you can pre-order almost anything within reason. Just ask for the menu during dinner for the next night and order what you want (or modifications) from the Maitre d'. They will specially prepare it for you. They are very flexible.

All the advice you have received is correct, given the spread of ages on Princess ships they have a chef in the kitchen that does nothing but special orders, so your requests will not be unusual or too much trouble for them.

Their main goal is that you enjoy your cruise minus any stress or illness.

As many others have said, thank you for your service. My younger brother is dealing with the effects of agent orange now. I send healing thoughts to both of you and wishes for a Healthy New Year.

I'd ask your doc for specific guidelines on how much protein, carbs, fiber, and fats you can have per meal.

I am on a permanent low fat/low carb diet that my doc says is similar to what people who have had a stomach bypass would have.

For protein,low fat sources like seafood, fish, turkey,or chicken will work. The portion should not exceed the size of your palm. If you want beef like steak of something, I'd make the portion even smaller.

Carbs should be consumed with protein, and be quality, not to exceed double the amount of protein. On Princess, watch things like rice as they can have butter in them.Ask for brown rice in case they have it.

Eat a good serving of vegetables, like brocolli.

Deserts-order a couple of them, take maybe one taste of each, then push away.

Again, talk to your doc. I travel with Cliff Builder Bars, available at Costco. One bar has 20g of protein, 220 calories and fiber and vitamins. They taste like glue but they give you close to what your body needs and are handy if you are on an excursion and need something to eat.

I keep stressing the doc part because your body will tell you in the worst way that you ate wrong if you do with your surgery. Also, if you experience any forms of stomach distress, it might be good to have proper medication. Again, ask your doctor for advise. Tell him you are cruising and your concerns and he should be able to help you out. I remember when I told my doc I was going to Costa Rica, he wrote me out at script for doxycycline to be taken prophylatically.

First-

Thank you for your service!

Now on to the food-

We have two friends that have cruised with us multiple times that have had gastric bypass. The first trip 3months post-op and the last trip 3yrs post-op.

They follow their diet from home without any problem or even special orders.

Now let me say....one has cheated and ruined a few days of the first trip. In general they find it easy having food available all the time allowing them many very small meals a day. They usually start with room service breakfast...they find the buffet is too tempting to eat to much and get sick. Lunch is usually a chicken breast from the grill on the lido deck split between them. They love being able to get a hot and fresh grilled chicken breast whenever they want! Dinner we do the anytime dining without any issue. There is always a un-sauced chicken breast and salmon option. The one trick we learned on the first trip....if you feel a bit yucky post -op.....ask for the childrens menu chicken soup! They both tend to ask for sorbet or fresh fruit for desert. Just follow your Dr.'s order and you'll have a great cruise!

Edited by Magellan321

Once again great advice from all of you. I have talked to my Doctor on several occasions, and they advice you are telling me is the same. However, I cannot digest rice yet, bread is out of the question, grilled chicken is a yes, grill fish is a yes, and the most encouraging thing my Doctor told me was Fillet Mignon is really good for me, very lean beef.

Fresh fruit like bananas, apples (no skin), and other foods like scabbled eggs with chees, oatmeal, is all good for me. Funny, Doctor told me Peanutbutter and crackers (can only eat two), are good.

Drinking, I will choose water with fresh fruits, that is fine, some Coffee or Tea is good also. NO Sodas, booze, beer, or wine period.

So I think this will be in hand, just plan to relax after my ordeals with hospitals and doctors etc. and besides me wife and I are celebrating 20 wonder years of marriage....

Thanks everybody....

The key is to know what you can handle. Many foods may be richer or heavier than what you're used to, and might not sit so well. 12 years out, I still have times when that happens. You already know to eat slowly, chew thoroughly, don't drink with meals. Be extra cautious with those on vacation.

Eat your protein first, don't go crazy trying new things for the first time, watch the sweets. All the usual stuff. Just use your head and you'll be fine.

Have a wonderful cruise, and thanks for your service!

Protein, protein, protein. Make sure you bring your vitamins and if you do shakes at home bring them as well. Make sure you get your water in, and stay away from white carbs. Rice, bread, potatoes are the last thing that you should be eating. Your small pouch may not be able to handle salads yet.

I have the band now and will be revising to the gastric sleeve eventually, but my first cruise post banding I was asking the same questions as you are now. I was 4 months out and limited in the amounts I could eat, and what I could eat and we went on Princess. My meals at dinner I had the steak medallions (basically 2 small filet and would eat 1/2 of one at dinner and they would wrap the other 1 1/2 for me for later. I would cut it in small pieces and have that to snack on when needed. At lunch I would have grilled chicken, and soup. I took my protein powder with me and had my shake in the morning and then go have an egg. Mashed potatoes I would have about 2 tablespoons and that was it. The white carbs will hinder loss and while you are in the honeymoon phase you do not want to do that. Save the white carbs for maintenance.

Because you have been rerouted, please be wary of sugar of any type, including the sugar free items, they can lead to dumping syndrome and that is the last thing you want to experience on a cruise.

Most of the desserts are filled with sugar, cream, chocolate, etc. They are just too rich for most sesitive stomachs. Just order a sliced fruit plate or sorbets that are made of mostly ice and some fruit flavor.

I don't know if you are allowed to eat ice cream.

I always order a fruit plate as an appetizer eventhough it is not on the menu.

Instead of eating apples you might want to eat apple sauce.

People say that the hot cereals are very tasty in the morning.

Tapioca pudding is also served on the ship. I wonder if you can eat that.

It will be a tasty snack to just eat a few spoons of it.

I am leaving on a cruise on Sunday so I am already thinking of eating

foods that are healthy for me. I don't like to eat heavy sauce type meals

for dinner. So I plan to be careful in ordering.

Princess ships are very festive and a lot of fun. It is fun to hang out at the Atrium on deck 5. They usually have music or some fun activity.

I always have fun in that area. Have fun on your cruise and protect your body from foods that don't agree with you.