Kotor - what to do if we want to DIY?

We'll be in Kotor during a 12-night Mediterranean Cruise in July 2014. It will be the last port we visit during our cruise and therefore would like to DIY and keep it relaxing and inexpensive. I've searched this forum and found great information about the area. What is there to do within walking distance of the pier? I've read about a fortress that we can climb - where is this and what is the name of it? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

We'll be in Kotor during a 12-night Mediterranean Cruise in July 2014. It will be the last port we visit during our cruise and therefore would like to DIY and keep it relaxing and inexpensive. I've searched this forum and found great information about the area. What is there to do within walking distance of the pier? I've read about a fortress that we can climb - where is this and what is the name of it? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

The town is right at the tender pier and you just walk through the Sea Gate to it. The fortress of St John costs about €3 to walk up and will take about 40 minutes as there are around 1400 steps. From 2.19 in this

shows my nephew and I walking up and down it - take some water with you. Kotor is a superb port stop and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you want to go in the sea afterwards there's a little beach area which looks out towards the ship. All the best Tony

Thanks!

Are you referring to Jazz Beach or is this a different beach? Is there any admission fee to this beach?

I don't know what it's called - perhaps it has no name it's not really a beach, just that area we are in at the end of the video. But it did the job for us at the end of a very hot day !

Hi CruisePac,

When we visited Kotor a couple of years ago we had also planned on Kotor being a DIY port until we ran into Milo. He probably gave us the best tour of any of the ports that we stopped at and for a fraction of the cost. We were able to see so many beautiful places that even included a stop at Jazz Beach.

If you look up the thread "Kotor tour choice" you will see a lot more information.

We climbed the wall...entrance is at very back of the town for 3E. It's a pretty strenuous climb up many many step. We were fine because we are runners, but others seemed to turn around before making it to the top.

Then we ate some lunch, tasted wine and visited the many cute shops. There was a market just outside the main entrance and bought many handmade wool gloves, hats, slippers.

This was one of my favorite ports. Seemed non-touristy compared to Dubrovnik.

Kotor is an almost perfect DIY cruise port. The town is right at the port, so no shuttle needed. Has a nice variety of shops in a beautiful little town - and a nearly free activity (walking up the wall for the views). And, actually the wall is free in the off tourist season. It has a wide variety of inexpensive restaurants and cafes (with great Spanish style thick hot cocoa if you're there in a cooler month). And to top it off, it has a great sail into port.

The most heard comment on our ship was that people thought it was a throw in port and it surprised them how great a port stop it was.

• 3 weeks later...

We docked in Kotor Nov 19, 2013. I had read about Milo on cruise critic and had arranged for Milo and a friend to take 8 of us on a tour. He is a marvelous tour guide and so informative about his country. I also feel that it was one of the most reasonable tours we have taken. If you want to see more than just what is near the port, I strongly recommend getting in touch with him ahead of time. I will be happy to share his email if you wish to contact me: jaalice at msn dot com. Please put Kotor tour in the subject line.

We booked a tour on the Monty B....a small sailboat that putters around the bay at Kotor hosted by a lovely British couple and their dog.

Lovely, lovely day. Beautiful scenery. Sailed by Our Lady of the Rocks.

Just beware that if you have any mobility issues - this is not the tour for you. You need to be able to climb in and out of a Zodiac type boat to tender to the ship docked in the bay. Let's just say this was not one of my more elegant moments!