Upgrading Classic Drink Package

reilly1

We have just booked Eclipse to The Baltic in June 2014 and are very pleased to get the Classic Drink Package free, along with $300 OBC. However, we usually purchase the Premium Package as we like our speciality coffees, fresh orange, good choice of wines etc. My TA says that I can only upgrade the Packace once onboard, but I would really like to have it paid for in advance and not use my OBC for this purpose. Has anyone had any luck with upgrading pre-cruise?

Your TA is incorrect. They should be able to upgrade the package for you just by calling X and requesting it for you. We just did this through our TA for our cruise next month which included the classic package from a 123Go sale. Your other option would be to call X directly, however be prepared that since you booked through a TA that they will most likely tell you to go through them which is standard practice. Either way though, it can be done.

Edited by prim8keeper

Your TA is incorrect. They should be able to upgrade the package for you just by calling X and requesting it for you. We just did this through our TA for our cruise next month which included the classic package from a 123Go sale. Your other option would be to call X directly, however be prepared that since you booked through a TA that they will most likely tell you to go through them which is standard practice. Either way though, it can be done.

We are booked with a TA and had no problem upgrading by calling X directly.

In my experience (twice now), this is not correct. Even if you have booked through a TA, you are still able to deal directly with Celebrity to buy (or upgrade) a drink package (or for other things like purchasing a shore excursion).

OP: Easiest way is to call Celebrity's Cruise Enhancement Dept. directly at 800-722-5941 and take care of this yourself (especially since your TA is incorrect).

(Edited to add: I see the OP is not in the U.S., so that 800 number above won't likely work.)

Edited by Turtles06

I have a question. I have several bookings for next year with drinks promo. I booked directly with X. On a couple of them, I asked for the upgraded package a nd they just added it. On a couple of the other ones, they sent me to "enhancements" and they told me that I had to pay the upgrade now. I thought that I would end up paying with final payment. Any one know about how this works? Cruises are all next fall. Not positive that we will be doing all of them, so pre-paying for the upgrade will be only make refunds more difficult. I want to add the upgrade now in case they raise the prices of the packages. There was speculation that they may go that route like RCI. Any advice?

I have a question. I have several bookings for next year with drinks promo. I booked directly with X. On a couple of them, I asked for the upgraded package a nd they just added it. On a couple of the other ones, they sent me to "enhancements" and they told me that I had to pay the upgrade now. I thought that I would end up paying with final payment. Any one know about how this works? Cruises are all next fall. Not positive that we will be doing all of them, so pre-paying for the upgrade will be only make refunds more difficult. I want to add the upgrade now in case they raise the prices of the packages. There was speculation that they may go that route like RCI. Any advice?

My experience has been that if you upgrade now, you pay now, same as if you were to book a shore excursion in advance of the cruise -- you'd have to pay for it now. If you cancel the cruise before you sail, you get a refund for things you have purchased in advance, like a beverage package or upgrade, or a shore excursion. In my (limited) experience, getting a refund is not a big hassle, Celebrity puts the money back on your credit card. If you want to protect against a possible price increase, and your only concern is a later refund if you cancel (as opposed to cash flow now), then I would do the upgrade now.

I thought speciality coffees and juices were included in the classic package and it was just the high end spirits wines and cocktails that weren't.

There are a few minor differences on non-alcoholic beverages.

The classic package doesn't include sparkling water and includes "non-premium" bottled water vs. Evian included in the premium package.

Specialty coffee is a confusing and inconsistent area but the worst case is a few coffees with lots of added ingredients might not be included. See this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39322013#post39322013

I thought both packages include the special juices although I've never had anything more than the "regular" no-extra charge juices available to all passengers, so I really can't speak to which juices the packages do or don't include.