“Live Review” ~ Allure of the Seas (Western): December 15-22, 2013

Pebbles468

Diane, I just signed up for the Internet package special for the last three days. I loved reading your review so far. It is fun reading a "live" review where I am experiencing it with you. Can't wait to compare notes.

Having a great time. See you in about 8 hours for the slot pull!

Can you let us know? We're cruising in May and would LOVE to have him....he's the best!!

Which him? Ken or Allen??

Allan Brooks is the BEST cruise director! I've had him twice and both times they were the best cruises. Does he still do the breakfast thing in the pink robe?

AllureoftheSeas2011211-1.jpg

Having Internet issues.... That's why there haven't been many posts & pictures. Internet much better on this deck right now.

The CD update... It is Ken Rush although the Cruise Compass stated otherwise.

Cruise is absolutely fabulous!! we remain mostly in suite area places.. Right now on suite ImageUploadedByForums1387484010.921140.jpg.c30167ac3f96a0f90b0678f621a63e65.jpg

deck.. Just above the pools and faces the Caribbean band for music. Plenty of shade and sun chairs.. Just need to look for them. Of course always some saving seats and not around.

Edited by Pebbles468

Diane, I just signed up for the Internet package special for the last three days. I loved reading your review so far. It is fun reading a "live" review where I am experiencing it with you. Can't wait to compare notes.

Having a great time. See you in about 8 hours for the slot pull!

We missed the slot pull!! :-(. We were so tired from our excursion in Jamaica.. We slept in and had breakfast in Solarium Bistro...

Glad you are having a wonderful time too! This ship is seriously a floating city. I am laying in bed as I listen to the divine music being played in central park just below my balcony!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forums mobile app

Glad you are having a wonderful time too! This ship is seriously a floating city. I am laying in bed as I listen to the divine music being played in central park just below my balcony!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Forums mobile app

Nadine.. We seen you in an elevator and that's it... :-(. Hope to cross paths again soon

2nd Formal night ~ lobster and escargot

ImageUploadedByForums1387515258.800217.jpg.69bc3f4b75a0630eb0bf2c8fce164d39.jpg

Escargot

ImageUploadedByForums1387515302.367535.jpg.6070c53e1b39cae7ef62fa83fec42413.jpg

Wild mushroom in puff pastry **** wonderful!!!

The fisherman's platter was lobster with shrimp. I love lobster, however, this was not very good at all. The poor kitchen works hard to prepare so many lobsters and It did not taste as though it was cooked enough, with a bit of a fishy taste and rubbery.

Escargot delicious!

!ImageUploadedByForums1387515554.800938.jpg.f2a877fb04a4dabc13dbb2b7377df8e4.jpg

Son had Roasted Peach chilled soup.. He loved it!!

Welcome to Cozumel!!ImageUploadedByForums1387559979.884855.jpg.038151fb2137eefefa9eb8af00ef2f22.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1387560005.067728.jpg.7cc7c962dca017624110c45c36f6dd49.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1387560054.817910.jpg.4880167928defea1c77b9a8e5e3b932e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1387560080.584372.jpg.1b222f0d623ad3776d6a6d5141d9d681.jpg

**. As you get off the ship, the shops & marketplace prices are marked up and higher than what the prices are in town! Bracelets with names ($10/each, but in town they are $5). Maracas in town, $1... $4-$5 in the marketplace right off the ship!

Here is the taxi sign...

ImageUploadedByForums1387560354.167671.jpg.779902b1b31d7bf2bc1aaa636f7ecc56.jpg

We really didn't want to do anything except shop and it was impossible to shop right by the ship. We tried to walk somewhere close by and there isn't anything within walking distance. We spent $12 with tip to the Forum Shops. We bought a few trinkets, bracelets and maracas...went to Panchos Backyard -- 3 waters, 2 iced teas, 2 guacamoles, chicken taquitos and a black bean soup $38 + tip. Another $12 cab ride back.

ImageUploadedByForums1387560789.717886.jpg.651312e7051939a412b11a0cb169a620.jpg

We are all really tired and didn't want to go to the beach. We will use the pools & hot tub on the ship. The pools on the ship are salt water.

Back on the ship by noon...

subscribing!

We are taking a family trip aboard the Allure with Western Itinerary in a couple of weeks from Jan 12-19. I originally grew up a little southwest of Chicago, but we (DW, DD and I) now live in Northern, VA. Also going is my parents, brother and family, and sister and family who all still live in the plainfield/naperville Illinios area.

I am looking forward to getting some good tips ;)

Edited by ditkafan
type-o

We had phantom mini bar charges, but have not used the mini bar. Went down to guest services and they removed them without question.

Will be ordering room service from the main dining room tonight .. We just don't feel like getting dressed up and doing much.

Kids enjoy Adventure Ocean... Last night, I left them there from 8-11pm and paid $14.00 for (2) kids. After 10pm, there is a charge of $3.50/per hour, per kid.

Had to laugh and showed my 16yo DS your post about the peach soup. On our Freedom cruise my son would have the chilled fruit soups each night for dinner and then have the waiter bring him another bowl for dessert. He was 12 at the time. He is excited to know that he hopefully will be able to have more fruit soup on our Allure trip next year.

Loving your live review and we live in Chicago also. It's been some crazy weather here glad you are having a wonderful time on Allure!

Barb

Had to laugh and showed my 16yo DS your post about the peach soup. On our Freedom cruise my son would have the chilled fruit soups each night for dinner and then have the waiter bring him another bowl for dessert. He was 12 at the time. He is excited to know that he hopefully will be able to have more fruit soup on our Allure trip next year.

Loving your live review and we live in Chicago also. It's been some crazy weather here glad you are having a wonderful time on Allure!

Barb

Our sons are similar!! *laughing*

I hear there is another storm coming to Chicago and may prevent us from getting home... Guess we will see what happens! Our Concierge, Fernando, has already said he will get us a hotel ...and to give him a call using his business card if we have a problem after we leave the ship! How sweet he has been to us all week!

Dinner tonight ~ room service off the MDR menu

ImageUploadedByForums1387590844.711864.jpg.d0b8c7dbd5440834f1d9bb2a691c15f4.jpg

Beef Carpaccio ....not really carpaccio....just thin roast beef! It was good, not what I'm used to.

ImageUploadedByForums1387590932.695624.jpg.ab68a2f30d13e2617afa2805d8cd3c76.jpg

Spinich Dip....good

ImageUploadedByForums1387590972.944940.jpg.9d118c3dd1414238fa4e6d55618b0b90.jpg

Goyza... Good

ImageUploadedByForums1387591001.062248.jpg.004613fd343401be86c93335042b5a8c.jpg

Chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream!! Definite must have!! MMMMmmmm. It's too bad I can't have the whole thing!! I can't have much sugar, so only one forkful for me.

I packed up one bag in anticipation of having to leave this beautiful ship... We have enjoyed the week, and are so thankful to having Starbucks and all the espresso and cappuccino we can handle! We are tired all the time, and not partying or drinking! I can't imagine how horrible we would feel waking up with a hangover... Haha. It has been different cruising with children... Our activities are much different than they were on our previous cruises. No more closing the bar and hanging out in the Lounges.. I went to on air last night and had my first martini of the cruise because the kids were at Adventure Ocean til 11pm.

it's funny as I recall the recent posting about children on cruises.. I really disliked that thread because of how nasty the comments were. My parenting skills were attacked by someone who has never me me or my children... That said, I have not seen any of the children on this cruise misbehaving! My own children have been unbelievably good this entire trip! They were even complimented by the AO staff when I dropped them off today! Of course I have to wonder if they see another side of them like their teachers and they only act up for me... Haha. I'm sure things can and do happen.. I haven't experienced any misbehavior on this trip from other people's children...

It's time for a walk on deck... A little fresh air to work off the forkful of delicious cake! LOL

Until tomorrow... Day 7

Edited by Pebbles468

Our sons are similar!! *laughing*

I hear there is another storm coming to Chicago and may prevent us from getting home... Guess we will see what happens! Our Concierge, Fernando, has already said he will get us a hotel ...and to give him a call using his business card if we have a problem after we leave the ship! How sweet he has been to us all week!

Dinner tonight ~ room service off the MDR menu

[ATTACH]296173[/ATTACH]

Beef Carpaccio ....not really carpaccio....just thin roast beef! It was good, not what I'm used to.

[ATTACH]296174[/ATTACH]

Spinich Dip....good

[ATTACH]296175[/ATTACH]

Goyza... Good

[ATTACH]296176[/ATTACH]

Chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream!! Definite must have!! MMMMmmmm. It's too bad I can't have the whole thing!! I can't have much sugar, so only one forkful for me.

I packed up one bag in anticipation of having to leave this beautiful ship... We have enjoyed the week, and are so thankful to having Starbucks and all the espresso and cappuccino we can handle! We are tired all the time, and not partying or drinking! I can't imagine how horrible we would feel waking up with a hangover... Haha. It has been different cruising with children... Our activities are much different than they were on our previous cruises. No more closing the bar and hanging out in the Lounges.. I went to on air last night and had my first martini of the cruise because the kids were at Adventure Ocean til 11pm.

it's funny as I recall the recent posting about children on cruises.. I really disliked that thread because of how nasty the comments were. My parenting skills were attacked by someone who has never me me or my children... That said, I have not seen any of the children on this cruise misbehaving! My own children have been unbelievably good this entire trip! They were even complimented by the AO staff when I dropped them off today! Of course I have to wonder if they see another side of them like their teachers and they only act up for me... Haha. I'm sure things can and do happen.. I haven't experienced any misbehavior on this trip from other people's children...

It's time for a walk on deck... A little fresh air to work off the forkful of delicious cake! LOL

Until tomorrow... Day 7

Fernando is great I am sure he can help if you need it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

subscribing!

We are taking a family trip aboard the Allure with Western Itinerary in a couple of weeks from Jan 12-19. I originally grew up a little southwest of Chicago, but we (DW, DD and I) now live in Northern, VA. Also going is my parents, brother and family, and sister and family who all still live in the plainfield/naperville Illinios area.

I am looking forward to getting some good tips ;)

Ditkafan.. Love the name!! Anything you want to know, I will happily answer for you. We had a great time... Learned things along the way for the future!

I will say this.. The big ships that Royal has necessitates new pier locations and you are forced to take a taxi in Cozumel, when we used to dock at Punta Langosta. Extra $$ now to travel to the shops.

Falmouth to Ocho Rios... Took us 90 minutes each way!!! Too darn long in the car!! I will be honest, we didn't like the prospect of 45 minutes each way... We absolutely HATED the actual time of 90 minutes each way!!! There was a lot of traffic and the road not wide enough for much passing.

Falmouth to Ocho Rios... Took us 90 minutes each way!!! Too darn long in the car!! I will be honest, we didn't like the prospect of 45 minutes each way... We absolutely HATED the actual time of 90 minutes each way!!! There was a lot of traffic and the road not wide enough for much passing.

Wow, doesn't sound too good for your Courtney Taylor tour. I was hoping to hear good things. Sorry to hear you had problems with traffic.

Enjoy day 7!!!

The tour was wonderful.. We loved our tour guide, Dean! Our Secret Falls Guide, Jermaine, was so very sweet to all of us. We have no complaints except how long it took to get there and back.

We did hit a goat in the way back. It darted out along the highway, and so much traffic there was nothing we could do. The kids asked if we hit the goat and I said it was just a bump in the road. I think they knew though ...

Edited by Pebbles468

The tour was wonderful.. We loved our tour guide, Dean! Our Secret Falls Guide, Jermaine, was so very sweet to all of us. We have no complaints except how long it took to get there and back.

We did hit a goat in the way back. It darted out along the highway, and so much traffic there was nothing we could do. The kids asked if we hit the goat and I said it was just a bump in the road. I think they knew though ...

I appreciate all your feedback. Sorry the ride took 3 hours of your day! (bummer for the goat!) I can only hope for better traffic in May.

Thanks again for taking us all along!!

Pebbles, thinking of your sweet family now making the most of every minute of your last day and night at sea. You might be at the parade right now! Thanks so much for sharing your Alluring week with us with the bonus peek into suite life! It has brought back fond memories for me--we love the Allure and miss sailing with our kids (small world aside: one goes to U Chi!). I had to laugh when you talked about your son's love of the peach soup and another poster chimed in...there must be something about boys and chilled fruit soups, that was the number one menu item our son always looked forward to having on cruises!

Best wishes and safe travels.