Is this cabin upgrade, really an upgrade????

portcbob

Hi fellow NCL cruisers.

Have contacted NCL recently from AUSTRALIA about a Spirit cruise in the Med in the summer of 2015. At the present moment they are offering a free cabin upgrade or that's what they call it.

The upgrade is from Midships Balcony Stateroom from Deck 9 to same cabin on Deck 10. As far as I can see it I cant see any advantage at all about going up that one cabin. I believe an OBC would be more appropriate.

Guys, what are your thoughts. I believe that this is just clever marketing.

Cheers Bob.;););)

Well, the mid-ship balcony cabins on Deck 9 appear to be Category BB. The mid-ship balcony cabins on Deck 10 appear to be Category BA. So in NCL's mind, Deck 10 is an upgrade to Deck 9. Generally, cruise lines consider the higher decks to be higher in demand and therefore higher in category for comparable rooms. It's their definition that counts in their marketing. I personally also prefer higher decks, so I agree that it can be counted as a higher category. I'm not sure why one would think they should offer OBC instead, if that's not a current marketing promotion they want to offer.

Hi fellow NCL cruisers.

Have contacted NCL recently from AUSTRALIA about a Spirit cruise in the Med in the summer of 2015. At the present moment they are offering a free cabin upgrade or that's what they call it.

The upgrade is from Midships Balcony Stateroom from Deck 9 to same cabin on Deck 10.

Cheers Bob.;););)

Bob,

I also contacted them re this cruise (from Australia) and got the same/similar offer. The cruise wasn't available on the Australian website at the time. Now it is, but there is no upgrade offer! :eek:

The other thing that is bugging me is there is no option to select a Balcony room on Deck 10! :confused: As you go through the booking process it only offers Balconies on Deck 9 or 11.

I wonder what they are playing at?

Cheers, WOz

I think most of the balconys are all the same, 201 square feet. There is a cabin on the port/aft, 10686, positioned differently, that is huge. Peeked in on it while on the Spirit earlier this year.

So much for a great upgrade. But marketing is a wonderful thing..... :)

I prefer lower decks. Less motion if you prefer smoother sailing. Lower is easier to see the water and i always look for Dolphins, Whales, anything. I also think you can hear more ocean waves, wake, sea spray etc lower. That's my opinion YMMV.