Sewage smell on the Breeze

Sun 4-ever

I have read several post regarding a sewage smell on the Breeze, it appears it is in the aft part of the ship. For those of you who have experienced this does it matter if you are higher up or lower? We are aft way down on deck 1 in January and I'm trying to decide if I should change cabins.

I never smelled anything on the dream. I think some people just look for something to complain about

Oh it's there alright. At least once a day I encountered it. I simply left that area and got on with my life. There have been plenty of threads / posts about it here.

Oh it's there alright. At least once a day I encountered it. I simply left that area and got on with my life. There have been plenty of threads / posts about it here.

I too have noticed an enormous amount of posts about this issue. Have you (rhetorical, the question is for anyone) ever heard why it seems to plague this class of ships and what they intend to do about it? You would think by the time the Breeze rolled out the engineers would think, "OK, we're two-fer on this sewage thing, lets fix that on the next roll-out!!" Makes no sense that 3 ships all in the same class have the same [icky] issue.

Edited by Vanessa L

I think it's a cruise ship issue and not necessarily a Dream class ship issue. My husband and I get Ocean View rooms so we're always on one of the first 3 floors and we usually smell sewage at some point on every cruise. It's not a big deal...it doesn't last very long. I've been forward, mid, and aft and smelled it. If you think it will be a problem to smell something stinky for a small bit of time, move above floor 4 or 5.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the breeze this past april and didnt smell anything..now we did smell that "smell" when we cruised on the dream in 2010...would it keep us from sailing on it again? nah! Heck we smelt that smell when we cruised on the disney wonder yrs back..

I'm amazed that people still want to blame this on Dream class ships. This smell is possible on any and all ships at sea. I have smelled it on a Princess ship, on the Miracle, & several other ships. Most of the time, it's fleeting and faint, and not really even worth mentioning. There have been a few isolated incidents where it was strong & lasting in an area, but you can't worry about that happening to you, as that can happen anywhere on the ship and on any ship you ever go on. The "faint & fleeting" possibility might be a little greater on deck 2 aft.

We stayed on the Dream's deck 2-forward and the Breeze's deck 2-midship. No smells at all, even when walking to the aft of the decks.

Edited by k2excursion

I'm amazed that people still want to blame this on Dream class ships. This smell is possible on any and all ships at sea. I have smelled it on a Princess ship, on the Miracle, & several other ships. Most of the time, it's fleeting and faint, and not really even worth mentioning. There have been a few isolated incidents where it was strong & lasting in an area, but you can't worry about that happening to you, as that can happen anywhere on the ship and on any ship you ever go on. The "faint & fleeting" possibility might be a little greater on deck 2 aft.

We stayed on the Dream's deck 2-forward and the Breeze's deck 2-midship. No smells at all, even when walking to the aft of the decks.

I have over 40 cruises to my credit, going back to 1984. I have never, ever smelled any sewage smell on any cruise. And as a nurse, I am keenly aware of smells. While I don't "blame" this on a Dream class ship, I have only ever read about this issue on the Dream class ships. I have never sailed a Dream class ship (first one will be next year) but the issue is certainly well documented on these boards. I'm not a big time regular here, I only pop in when I have a cruise planned, but do not recall reading about this issue in a review of any other class of ship. Just my $.02, YMMV.

This does all stem from a very legitimate problem that was on the Dream when she first went into service. They did fix the problem quickly, but by then, it had already snowballed around these boards. Most posts about the smell since then are just people bringing up that they have read about it. 1 report turns into what seems like dozens of reports, as others reference it. So a few reports (in reality) can turn into hundreds (seemingly). That will prompt concern (understandably) in some people, who will then ask about it. And that question will cause another to ask about it. While it is understandable that they do, it does then make the problem seem even worse. And like I've said at other times, the Dream, Magic, & Breeze just love to be picked on around these boards by a few. I can't ever figure that one out. I think all 3 ships are great.

After reading the reports on the Dream, I have been more aware of the smells, and I have caught a passing whiff here or there on every ship since. If not for reading the reports of smells, I probably would not have even noticed, or I would've thought someone in a nearby room was having a rough day.:o

Edited by k2excursion

WE were on the Breeze in Nov and never smelled it in the cabin areas at all. The only time and place we ever smelled it was in the back of the ship up on the lido deck. My husband works in plumbing and watched the video (many times) about how they basically have a sewage plant on board. He said they may be releasing sewer gasses . The ONLY time we ever smelled it was late at night and ONLY on the back of the very top deck away from all cabins.

We were on the Breeze last month doing a B2B and had an aft wrap on Deck 6. The smell wasn't outside of our cabin, but there wasn't a day we couldn't smell it just down the hall from us. I had read about "the smell" on the boards here, but of course, had forgotten about it.....until I smelled it for myself.:eek: