Maybe table clothes will be back.....

kona_wahine

Good. They can find somewhere else to be cheap then.

This no table cloth thing would not apply to the Magic unless the Magic's tables were resurfaced first as they have a foam cushioning glued to the top.

The tables on all the ships have the same foam cushioning. The tables on the Glory had new table tops installed.

Hard to believe that some of you can get so wound up over a stupid tablecloth. The casual night dining has gotten more and more casual over the years. Now a large portion of folks (myself included) were shorts on casual nights. This change is merely reflecting the change that has already happened. Cruise dining is casual.

On elegant nights the mood changes to a little more dressy (khakis and polo for me) and the dining area reflects that change with tablecloths and more elegant menu.

Change is just hard for people to accept, but the casual change is here to stay so everyone needs to get used to it. No doubt the other cruise lines will soon follow suit. (just like RCCL banning smoking on balconies, other lines will soon follow)

jh posted questions on facebook today and said the beards will be listening. Yes or no to table clothes? It's running more to the yes.

+100,000,000,000

Even if you never use them, care to have them, many reasonable folks understand why they would be important in this setting. At least use them for dinner seating where dressing up, a bit more, is suggested. I am willing to pay extra for this touch, its not a tug boat!

Edited by Blk_Amish

+100,000,000,000

Even if you never use them, care to have them, many reasonable folks understand why they would be important in this setting. At least use them for dinner seating where dressing up, a bit more, is suggested. I am willing to pay extra for this touch!

"where dressing up a bit more is suggested" is the elegant nights when table cloths are used. The other nights (with no table cloths) are casual nights when dressing up a bit more is not suggested.

I was thinking. I was thinking about this whole table cloth situation and why we are all so focussed on having table cloths, myself included.

1) Most fine dining restaurants have table cloths UNLESS they are going for the modern / ulta modern look. Generally the decor is such that table cloths would not look right

2) The MDR serves banquet - style food that is dressed up. Generally meals like this on land (weddings and the such) have table cloths to cover the crappy tables.

3) The big reason why we are all so upset? We have finally drawn the line and put our collective foot down. We are tired of the cut backs. We arose together and marched into the distance yelling, "No more, Carnival! No more cutbacks!"

I just priced RCCL out of galveston. Prices extremely close to CCL. Close enough to be a no brainer. I got on Wikipedia and compared ship sizes (dimensiens, GRT, pax decks and the such) between the two lines. RCCL's are substantially larger and have fewer passengers. What does RCCL do with all the extra space on their larger ships? They fill it with activities and features. All for only a few dollars more a day - if that.

I do hope CCL gets their act together, I truly do. They used to have a great product. I was almost ashamed when my friends asked me what cruise ship I was going on recently. I would stammer and say something along the lines of, "Oh I had to go with Carnival. They were so desperate to fill rooms that they waived the single supplement so I got a balcony for an incredible deal."

My next mission in life will be to get John Heald hired by another cruise line. He deserves better and I hope he can escape before this ship goes down. I may make light of his over-selling of Carnival and their brilliant announcements but that man is a wonder worker and is the best thing that the Carnival brand has going for it.

"where dressing up a bit more is suggested" is the elegant nights when table cloths are used. The other nights (with no table cloths) are casual nights when dressing up a bit more is not suggested.

You don't say. I packed 7 gowns and 7 cocktail dresses for nothing. Now I understand the incredible strange looks and smiles:D:)

This is not all about tablecloths but another cutback to bare bones cheapness. The rate of cheapness and decline is overwhelming, in a relatively short period of time.

Carnival was never a lesser product than RCL and Princess but one to be enjoyed differently, but now they are not in the same category in my mine.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I cant believe that this tablecloth issue has created such a ruckus.

But I agree that if the beards don't get their way with the tablecloths, they'll get their way somewhere else. I'd rather live without the tablecloths but to each his own.

You don't say. I packed 7 gowns and 7 cocktail dresses for nothing. Now I understand the incredible strange looks and smiles:D:)

On my Magic cruise 12/1 the VAST majority of people were dressed decently on casual nights. Nearly all the men wore slacks. Of the men that wore slacks and proper footwear the majority of those wore a dress shirt. Most of the women put effort into the casual nights as well. Cocktail dresses were everywhere.

Elegant night produced men in suits, gowns and a surprising number of tuxedos.

My vote:

Tablecloths on formal/elegant nights.

None needed on other dining nights -- but the tables themselves need to be in great condition -- no chipped, scarred surfaces. And keep the linen napkins.

The goal is certainly to reduce laundry costs. OK, so don't strip every table -- no spills/stains, then don't replace it. Carefully brush all crumbs, and reset -- like many restaurants do.

On my Magic cruise 12/1 the VAST majority of people were dressed decently on casual nights. Nearly all the men wore slacks. Of the men that wore slacks and proper footwear the majority of those wore a dress shirt. Most of the women put effort into the casual nights as well. Cocktail dresses were everywhere.

On my Magic cruise in April as well. YES, YES, people put effort into casual, its not an excuse to look like crap as a few here let it sound. Instead of gowns there were nice Maxi and cocktail dresses. Jeans were paired with nice tops and a little bling, bling. I NEVER saw the Peopeofwalmart (web site) image some are painting. On Elegant night people took it up a notch or two, possible three. Overall people were looking cruisefabulous!

11387255274_27d951f1e9_m.jpg

[/url] by ,

Edited by Blk_Amish

I don't understand why removing the tablecloths on casual nights is being seen as a cut back. While CCL will save some money on landry, I think the change is more in keeping with society, in general. Like it or not, it seems as though many are not interested in lugging formal wear on vacation. Checked luggage fees may also be responsible for this shift.

From what I observed, passengers on my recent Epic sailing were no better dressed than pax on my previous 4 CCL cruises.

I think CCL is shifting toward a more casual dining experience, because it reflects society today, in general.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

I don't understand why removing the tablecloths on casual nights is being seen as a cut back. While CCL will save some money on landry, I think the change is more in keeping with society, in general. Like it or not, it seems as though many are not interested in lugging formal wear on vacation. Checked luggage fees may also be responsible for this shift.

From what I observed, passengers on my recent Epic sailing were no better dressed than pax on my previous 4 CCL cruises.

I think CCL is shifting toward a more casual dining experience, because it reflects society today, in general.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

Why is it an issue? Because people are tired of cut back after cut back and are finally drawing a lign to stand behind. Enough is enough. I think it is half table cloth and half people fed up with cutbacks

Why is it an issue? Because people are tired of cut back after cut back and are finally drawing a lign to stand behind. Enough is enough. I think it is half table cloth and half people fed up with cutbacks

Some will never get this but hope Carnival does.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, I guess I don't see removing table cloths as a cutback :) Removing live bands, and downgrading entertainment, to me, is a cutback - but table dressing, not.

On my Magic cruise 12/1

the VAST majority of people were dressed decently on casual nights.

Nearly all the men wore slacks.

Of the men that wore slacks and proper footwear the majority of those wore a dress shirt.

Most of the women put effort into the casual nights as well.

Cocktail dresses were everywhere.

Regardless of what silly stuff one may read here

that(above) has been precisely my experience on all eight Carnival cruises I've done!

Most civilized couples dress nicely for their evening meal, Elegant Night or otherwise! :)

Thanks for the smile. In the scheme of things I see your point:D:)

I would love to see improvements elsewhere, as many of us do :) Certainly what my MDR meal is placed on (bare table or not), is not high on my list of "must haves" for me on a cruise. I'm just happy to be able to cruise!

Edited by soccersharon

Regardless of what silly stuff one may read here

that(above) has been precisely my experience on all eight Carnival cruises I've done!

Most civilized couples dress nicely for their evening meal, Elegant Night or otherwise! :)

Me too! I don't recall ever seeing "wife beaters" and cut off shorts in the MDR.