Easter Island

KruiserKat

I really don't know stats... but I have been on ships calling there twice and both times it was questionable whether or not we would get it. First time weather settled and it was no problem. Second time they did run the tenders but suggested that people who had mobility issues not try it and the weather deteriorated during the visit. I stayed on board for that one simply as a caution (and they refunded my tour charges). It is a remarkable place to visit and if I had not made it off the ship the first time I probably would have tried it on the second.

Susan

I have done a lot of reading on this, as this is a place I really want to go to. What I read did not give me much hope, kind of comparable with getting into Stanley (Falkland Islands). Hit or miss.

As this is number 1 on my list of places to see, we have decided not to take any chances and do a pre-cruise tour there. That way I am certain to get there, and to spend some more time there than a ships port stop would allow.

How likely is it to be "weathered out" from Easter Island???

Interesting that it can sometimes depend on your captain. On our visit things looked bleak on getting ashore. The captain took the ship to the opposite side of the island which was on the lee of the rough seas. The crew built a dock with two tenders and some planks hooked up to a small cement wharf. You climbed through the tenders and walked across the plank. Not as exciting as I made it sound but it was interesting. Many more seasoned cruisers than I commented that other captains they knew would not have done that. Best of luck on getting ashore.

Interesting that it can sometimes depend on your captain. On our visit things looked bleak on getting ashore. The captain took the ship to the opposite side of the island which was on the lee of the rough seas. The crew built a dock with two tenders and some planks hooked up to a small cement wharf. You climbed through the tenders and walked across the plank. Not as exciting as I made it sound but it was interesting. Many more seasoned cruisers than I commented that other captains they knew would not have done that...

We were on this cruise and it turned out that this was not a very smart move. There was damage done to one of the tethered tenders that required some major fiberglass repair.

I don't believe HAL will do this again in a similar rough sea situation.

Scott & Karen

We were on this cruise and it turned out that this was not a very smart move. There was damage done to one of the tethered tenders that required some major fiberglass repair.

I don't believe HAL will do this again in a similar rough sea situation.

Scott & Karen

Not to mention than one year later (last year), there were damages to 2 tenders, with at least one large window exploded and replaced by plywood. We must not forget that these tenders are life boats and just after Easter Island, there are 5 sea days !!!!

:eek:

This year, HAL added to the itinerary : Easter Island = weather permitting ! And the WC 2015 does not include it anymore.

The surest way to be absolutely sure to get to Easter Island is to fly there. If not, just consider it as a possible stop, and just be happy if you make it there.

Edited by happyglobetrotter