Minor traveling with one parent

CrusingwithM6

Hello cruisers! I'm going on the Victory in February with some family members. My niece (12 years old) will be coming along with her mother, but not her father. Her parents are married, both have the same address, same last name, etc., but her dad will be staying at home since it's a girls-only trip.

Does my sister-in-law have to get some kind of letter signed by kiddo's father saying he gives permission for her to travel out of the country? If so, does anyone have any insight as to what type of letter? Notarized? Thanks for any help! I googled and searched but got varied results.

I just returned from a cruise on the Victory with my 7 year old daughter. I had a notarized letter from her father as well as court documents indicating that I have full custody. I took everything just in case. I was never asked for any documentation what so ever, other than passports when we returned. My daughter was asked once what her name is and if I was her mom but never asked for any documentation. The next time I will not bother taking anything other than passports.

It's not actually required to cruise, but some countries (Mexico, for one) can deny entry if you don't have the letter. 90% of the time, I don't think they ask for it, but you don't want to be one of the 10%.

If you travel to Mexico by air or cross the border by land, they will definitely ask for the letter.

I have a different last name than my son and have been questioned trying to get back on board in Canada. When my son's father tried to bring my son across the border to Canada, he was questioned at length. Maybe Canada is just being extra careful.

Next time I leave the country with my son, I will be bringing a letter.

Get the letter. It's better to have it and not be asked than to be asked and not have it.

I always had it just to be safe.

~robin and brian

(summertime jersey shore beach bums)

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

I cruise about 4 times a year with my DS (11) and since my DH hates cruising, it's just the two of us.

I bring a standard letter (not notarized) from his Dad plus a copy of Dad's passport. Not once was I asked for this...

Last time he was in the same cabin as his grandmother and they checked in together. No one asked them to see any documentation.

I have a different last name than my son and have been questioned trying to get back on board in Canada. When my son's father tried to bring my son across the border to Canada, he was questioned at length. Maybe Canada is just being extra careful.

Next time I leave the country with my son, I will be bringing a letter.

We had the same experience when DH flew with oldest son from Albany to London via Toronto. He was asked for the letter and didn't have one. The only things that saved their trip were their round-trip plane tickets and their questioning son separately from DH as to where I was and why I wasn't with them.

Last year we cruised with my nephew out of Baltimore. Perhaps it's more understandable that we were asked for the letter, since he wasn't our child. But we were asked, not only when boarding the ship but also by Customs and Immigration when we returned. The letter's easy enough to do, and if the child traveling with you is not your own you can use it to get permission for emergency medical treatment for the child.

Just have to add a funny note.

When I travelled with my 11 y/o son to London on our way to a land vacation in Europe, we deplaned and went through Customs. I showed my passport and was looking for my son's when the man asked him, "So young man, you know this lady?" My son looked at up at me, then at the man and said, "No, I've never seen her before in my life." !!!

My eyes were popping out of my head and I said, "What are you doing?" The man just laughed and allowed us through. My son looks exactly like me.

I take the document along when traveling with my children without my DH. Sometimes we need it, sometimes we don't. Totally random in my experience. Its a piece of paper that takes up no room in my bag and the notarizing takes 5 minutes tops. I guess I don't understand the "well they didn't ask so I'm not going to bother with it next time" response. I think you, the OP/family, are very wise to think of this. How disappointing to have something so simple interfere with the experience of sharing a cruise,

I have heard, however I am unsure of its truth, that Royal Caribbean and such are more strict. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Don't know personally since we haven't sailed RCI - but when we sailed with nephew we were told by the intake person that RCI never would have accepted nephew's birth certificate. I'm not sure why - it was the only BC my sister had, it was state-issued, and it had a raised seal. Maybe she was just trying to encourage passports because they're easier to process.:confused:

This board is such a good source of information! Thank you all for your help and for sharing your experiences. I'll be printing a letter for my sister-in-law so we can be prepared for February. FYI, we'll be stopping in Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. I want to have all our ducks in a row, as this is their first trip out of the country and sister-in-law is a tad nervous to be bringing her precious cargo on a cruise.