Ceasars, not Bloody Mary's - calling all CDN's

smachale

I was on the Liberty a couple of weeks ago and saw the funniest thing in the MDR. Being married to a Canadian I am very familiar with Caesars. I'm not sure if the bar waiter or bartender didn't know how to make it but I saw the waiter bring to someone at a big table of Canadians a can or bottle of clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. I did not spot any Mott's rimmer salt. I thought it was hilarious.

I was on the Liberty a couple of weeks ago and saw the funniest thing in the MDR. Being married to a Canadian I am very familiar with Caesars. I'm not sure if the bar waiter or bartender didn't know how to make it but I saw the waiter bring to someone at a big table of Canadians a can or bottle of clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco. I did not spot any Mott's rimmer salt. I thought it was hilarious.

I wasn't even sure they would have Clamato, that is interesting! lol

Definitely going to have to try that for sure!!! I"m a huge caesar fan, not liking bloody mary's for the tomato juice. I guess you should be able to bring on your own celery salt eh!

As long as they have clamato juice and you know the ingredients, you can instruct a bar staff who will likely be willing to mix it for you.

Last week on the Glory a person we had been chatting with at the EA Sports bar ordered a dark & tan which the bar staff had never heard of. He did it for them with instruction. Mind you - putting two beers in the same mug isn't as complicated as making a drink, but I'm sure they can handle it.

When I was on the Emerald Princess in 2008 I asked for a gin and ginger and the bartender looked at me like I was insane. He made it but kept asking me if I was sure. It's not a drink I have often, but I didn't realize it was such an odd request.

Jill

As long as they have clamato juice and you know the ingredients, you can instruct a bar staff who will likely be willing to mix it for you.

Last week on the Glory a person we had been chatting with at the EA Sports bar ordered a dark & tan which the bar staff had never heard of. He did it for them with instruction. Mind you - putting two beers in the same mug isn't as complicated as making a drink, but I'm sure they can handle it.

When I was on the Emerald Princess in 2008 I asked for a gin and ginger and the bartender looked at me like I was insane. He made it but kept asking me if I was sure. It's not a drink I have often, but I didn't realize it was such an odd request.

Jill

What is a gin and ginger? Gin and Ginger Ale? Gin and raw ginger? Sounds yummy. I often have ginger ale with my Tanqueray, but didn't know it was an actual cocktail!

What is a gin and ginger? Gin and Ginger Ale? Gin and raw ginger? Sounds yummy. I often have ginger ale with my Tanqueray, but didn't know it was an actual cocktail!

Yes- literally a shot of gin with ginger ale. Don't know where I picked that one up truth be told and that one on the Emerald was probably the last time I had it!!

I'm not a Canadian, but I was introduced to Ceasars by my FIL a number of years ago. He called them "Clamdiggers." (DH grew up on the Great Lakes - maybe that was the Canada connection?) I love them - they're much lighter than regular Bloody Marys. I also make them with gin in place of vodka at times - it gives it a different kick.

Learn something new everyday! I had no idea that a Ceasar is a Canadian thing ;) I always figured everyone drank those!

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

They are very Canadian, invented here in Calgary at the Westin Hotel in 1969 (fun fact)..

Just try ordering one in the US, not many places know what they are. I now know to order a "clamdigger" in Wisconsin.. I wonder if other places would call it a clamdigger too?

It's a very good morning after drink.. well at least for me it is.

They are very Canadian, invented here in Calgary at the Westin Hotel in 1969 (fun fact)..

Just try ordering one in the US, not many places know what they are. I now know to order a "clamdigger" in Wisconsin.. I wonder if other places would call it a clamdigger too?

It's a very good morning after drink.. well at least for me it is.

Thanks! Great piece of Canadian trivia :)

What exactly is this drink? I see the comparison/reference to a Bloody Mary, which I love. Please do tell!:D:D

291px-Caesar_Cocktail.JPG

here is how wikipedia describes the cocktail, far better than I could.

"A Caesar or Bloody Caesar is a cocktail created and primarily consumed in Canada. It typically contains vodka, Clamato (a proprietary blend of tomato juice and clam broth), hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and is served with ice in a large, celery salt-rimmed glass, typically garnished with a stalk of celery and wedge of lime."

Learn something new everyday! I had no idea that a Ceasar is a Canadian thing ;) I always figured everyone drank those!

:)

I discovered that when we went to San Jose CA and I spent 2 hrs hunting down different liquor stores to find my "ceasar" in the can to go camping with. I was so depressed lol but discovered a new appreciation for my Canadian roots :) We have awesome drinks

Hi all

I travel all over the world and I am Canadian . I LOVE ceasars and found a solution for calmato juise, there is a company in Healdly Manitoba called Wild West seasonings that do web orders :D. They have a package mix of powder calmato juice that once mixed you can not tell the difference. I bring a one litre container with me, mix the powder mix with water and I am set. You are looking for ceasar pleaser mix :D

I have actually found Calmato juice in the bigger liquor stores in Florida, but the small jug there cost as much as a large jug here at home.

we buy more calmato juice than we buy milk here at home, calmato is a staple

Hi all

I travel all over the world and I am Canadian . I LOVE ceasars and found a solution for calmato juise, there is a company in Healdly Manitoba called Wild West seasonings that do web orders :D. They have a package mix of powder calmato juice that once mixed you can not tell the difference. I bring a one litre container with me, mix the powder mix with water and I am set. You are looking for ceasar pleaser mix :D

I have actually found Calmato juice in the bigger liquor stores in Florida, but the small jug there cost as much as a large jug here at home.

we buy more calmato juice than we buy milk here at home, calmato is a staple

You are AWESOME!!!! :D:D this is great, now I can have ceasars and not have to bring Clamato all the way from Canada! WHooooo Hoooooo! I'm a happy girl!

Hubbys favorite drink ... shudder..... and we have cruised on 4 different lines and they all have carried clamato. Now when you order it the server will say spicy bloody mary ??? and you must say no !!!!!! Clamato juice please lol ....