HELP!!! Which CD to choose?? Butch, Jamie or Matt?

blueyez4evr

I am about to book a cruise on either the Sunshine, Breeze, or Glory (All three ships have been highly recommended by people we know and I've seen great reviews on here as well) I have also heard that a cruise director can make or break your cruise! Please help in my decision! Which one do you like or have you experienced with?:)

Interesting theory. Pretty much the last thing I think about when planning a cruise. Actually don't consider it at all.

Of the choices you listed I'd pick Glory because the new menus look delicious.

We sailed the Breeze in October and it was the second time we had Butch. We LOVE him! The Breeze was the best ship we've been on so far.

I agree with both recommendations,of Butch and the Breeze. However, we did a lot of the fun stuff since we were cruising with our adult kids. Sometimes, if it's just DH and myself, we rarely see the CD.

Last cruise the CD was switched on us. And then we booked the Breeze and it was again switched on us. So out of 3 cruises that I'll have done with Carnival, 2 of them switched cruise directors before the sail date, so I wouldn't put that at the top of my list for choosing a ship.

Butch gets my vote.

But in 20 years of cruising on Carnival, I have never bothered to know in advance who the CD is. That would probably be the last priority on my decision making process.

I can't imagine basing my choice on the CD on the ship. I normally don't know who it is as we base our choices more on itinerary then cruise line/ship. The only one that I remember their name was Big Tex who was on the Fantasy back in 2006. I only remember him because I thought he was really annoying. All of the others we have had must have been just average. Since the CD is not guaranteed I wouldn't choose just because of that. They might be reassigned or have an emergency leave or something.

Was just on the Glory less than a month ago. Loved Matt and his entire team. They were great. On the four previous cruises I took...I couldn't tell you one time I saw the CD outside of the man showroom or one thing about them. But I saw Matt all over the place at all times of the day and night. Always very friendly...up beat....funny.....and helpful. He and his team were involved in several things that I did on this cruise and it was always a blast!!!!!

I really wonder how a cruise director "can make or break a cruise"??

For us it is all about the itinerary/price/date etc.

We rarely even notice the cruise director!

I'd like to know the answer too.

I never notice the CD.

I rarely even see the cruise director.

It would make no difference to me at all.

I agree! I cannot fathom selecting a cruise based on the cruise director! Other then hosting occasional shows and throwing out some old tired jokes, their activities are pretty structured by the company. (including the incredible, amazing and always entertaining hairy chest contest ... Yea right!)

The main reason I pick a cruise is for the ship, the itinerary, and how the cruise fits into my schedule. Never for the CD. I feel the CD does not make or break a cruise.

But... I did enjoy Jaimee when she was on the Dream this past June. She was full of energy, was everywhere, and mingled with the crowds. I joked with my husband every time I saw her saying, "she must have just drank some Red Bull." Nothing bad, but you just could not stay seated or still when Jaimee D. was around. :D

Jaimee will be with us on the Sunshine in June, but this had no bearing on our decision of what cruise or ship to take.

Edited by travlngrl1996

I echo the sentiments of most who say they never would select a cruise based on the CD. I too wonder about the statement "a cruise director can make or break" a cruise. Have never noticed prior to sailing who the CD will be, and most cruises, can't tell you who the CD was after sailing.

To all those who answered kindly. Thank you for your input. I am NOT choosing a cruise JUST because of the CD. I am trying to make a choice of the three ships I mentioned and getting recommendations from friends. I am new to cruising and just wanted to get more information about these cruise directors and yes, I have been told that a CD can make or break a cruise in case you have bad weather and have to stay on the ship most of the time.

[quote name='TwinPrincessMermaids']Makes me wonder if this is a cruise newbie. Anyone who has been on a cruise in most cases realizes that the CD is about 5%, if that, of the trip...[/QUOTE]

About .05 for me. I don't think I've even seen them on all of my past cruises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Butch is better, very outgoing and friendly[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][quote name='blueyez4evr']I am about to book a cruise on either the Sunshine, Breeze, or Glory (All three ships have been highly recommended by people we know and I've seen great reviews on here as well) I have also heard that a cruise director can make or break your cruise! Please help in my decision! Which one do you like or have you experienced with?:)[/quote]

[quote name='blueyez4evr']I am about to book a cruise on either the Sunshine, Breeze, or Glory (All three ships have been highly recommended by people we know and I've seen great reviews on here as well) I have also heard that a cruise director can make or break your cruise! Please help in my decision! Which one do you like or have you experienced with?:)[/quote]

[quote name='blueyez4evr']To all those who answered kindly. Thank you for your input. I am NOT choosing a cruise JUST because of the CD. I am trying to make a choice of the three ships I mentioned and getting recommendations from friends. I am new to cruising and just wanted to get more information about these cruise directors and yes, I have been told that a CD can make or break a cruise in case you have bad weather and have to stay on the ship most of the time.[/quote]

When we book a cruise, our choice is based on itinerary, the ship and its' on board amenities, how old the ship is, and maybe just a little bit on customer reviews. Unless the entire crew is a bunch of blood-thirsty pirates (like in "Treasure Island":rolleyes:), I've never been terribly concerned about who the CD is, or the Maitre'D is, or the captain or anyone else. As long as we have an enjoyable cruise, and get to and from each port safely, then I'm happy. Of the three CD's mentioned, I'm only familiar with Jaimee. She's very high energy and fun to be around. We've been on the Destiny (now the Sunshine), and are planning to sail on the Breeze next. I'm sure that at some point in the future, we'll book a cruise on the Glory. If at any time during a cruise we should happen to have bad weather and have to remain on the ship, my DW and I are quite capable of entertaining ourselves, without relying on the CD.;)

I have to agree about Matt. We sailed on the Pride and he was the CD at the time. I can't remember ever having such a good time at activities or just with the announcements. We also sailed on the Glory in September and I was very happy to see he was on board. While I don't choose a cruise for the CD, when we sailed on the Pride it was the first time I was really aware of a CD. I had never really noticed who the CD was before. He was always around and participating. He is very funny and a pleasure to speak to. He actually made some of the activities a lot more fun. I would hope that all CD's would take lessons from him.

For those who say a CD doesn't matter, you haven't cruised with a really good one like Butch! While he didn't make the cruise, he made it more enjoyable. He knew so many passengers by name it was incredible! He was everywhere and got lots of people involved in activities.

On the Legend recently we had Brent, the bore. No wonder he covers those on vacation and doesn't get a promotion. I hope he's not on her in April! He even messed up the Love and Marriage show!

A good CD can make a BIG difference!