Fort Lauderdale to Orlando - Help Me Figure This Out

kicker

Doing a cruise ending Jan 18 in Fort Lauderdale, then using a timeshare in Orlando for 4 days. My plans as of now (2 of us):

Amtrak from FL to Orlando, then rent a car

Questions:

1). Are there car rentals near Amtrak? (I see different info about that)

2). Seems much cheaper to rent directly at Orlando airport. Does anyone know the taxi fare from Amtrak to MCO?

Car Rental in FL with return to Orlando is another option, but seems costlier. Any advice from you great and helpful CC'ers will be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Already booked a return flight out of MCO, so that means returning the rental car there.

Is there some reason why you don't want to rent your car at FLL and then drive up the Turnpike to your timeshare? It would be so much easier.

I'm a married man. Two reasons for not renting in FL (although that could change):

1). Rates seem to be much cheaper if I just rent in Orlando ($20 per day as opposed to $45 (might do better with more research)

2). We live in a fairly quiet area of Central NY. My wife doesn't like the idea of watching me navigate Florida traffic for a four hour drive!:rolleyes:

PS: I'm Hertz Gold but I don't use it much - will give them a call and see what they offer.

PPS: Flights from FLL to MCO cost about the same as Amtrak, but it would require hanging around FL all day (nothing against FL, but did a post-cruise tour last year there)

If this helps anyone's thoughts:

Hertz quoted me $362 for a full-sized car renting in FL, returning to Orlando; $244 renting in Orlando. Amtrak schedules fit well - arrival time in Orlando would be the same whether driving or taking the train.

Also, other rental companies would be cheaper just renting in Orlando.

I'm a married man. Two reasons for not renting in FL (although that could change):

1). Rates seem to be much cheaper if I just rent in Orlando ($20 per day as opposed to $45 (might do better with more research)

I bet you can get the rate down. Try http://www.autoslash.com/ and http://www.carrentalsavers.com/ Thrifty also has a very good rate when you enter CD# 004M001010 in the corporate field on the reservations page. This is the Orlando Magicard rate and available to all.

2). We live in a fairly quiet area of Central NY. My wife doesn't like the idea of watching me navigate Florida traffic for a four hour drive!:rolleyes:

The Florida Turnpike is a high-speed, controlled-access road that has no traffic to speak of. It is one-way, doing the speed limit or better, all the way.

PS: I'm Hertz Gold but I don't use it much - will give them a call and see what they offer.

PPS: Flights from FLL to MCO cost about the same as Amtrak, but it would require hanging around FL all day (nothing against FL, but did a post-cruise tour last year there)

Hope you enjoy your trip!