SDI - Jan. 11 sailing from San Juan

WAO

Hi all , full review and thoughts to come on our return. So a week or so to wait!

We're told by captain that new crankshaft had been found in India and was in Dubai getting tested to meet ships certification rules before being flown to San Juan to be loaded on jam 11 as we got off. Forgot to look for a big long box on the quayside , apologies!

A team of engineers should be on board now fixing things.

On summary, head office have a lot to be blamed for. Crew were lovely, as seems usual, but stressed having to deal with what the bosses should have dealt with.

We're told by captain that new crankshaft had been found in India and was in Dubai getting tested to meet ships certification rules before being flown to San Juan to be loaded on jam 11 as we got off. Forgot to look for a big long box on the quayside , apologies!

A team of engineers should be on board now fixing things.

On summary, head office have a lot to be blamed for. Crew were lovely, as seems usual, but stressed having to deal with what the bosses should have dealt with.

I hope that you are correct about the fix being worked on. And I also agree that upper management should have addressed this issue.

Just got off sd1, engine still broken , 6 knots , no stops except for la Ramana to allow captain to get off to leave on vacation. Advised that the normal hotel was too busy to accommodate and other areas too dangerous to travel to. 6 days at sea being tossed like a salad spinner .. Staff was great, massage great except masseuse had to leave to throw up... It's being renamed seanightmare... It was an adventure bit bit what was promised! More later

Did Bjarne Smorawski return as Captain? He had just gotten off before we boarded in Costa Rica. Short vacation.:eek:

We just arrived home so more later when I have had time to digest all. Appreciate your advice . As to the salad

Spinner , according to the captain , the seas were 4,5 and sometimes 6 meters that combined with single engine stabilization was zip , the ride was fierce and bedtime noisy and sloppy .

We just arrived home so more later when I have had time to digest all. Appreciate your advice . As to the salad

Spinner , according to the captain , the seas were 4,5 and sometimes 6 meters that combined with single engine stabilization was zip , the ride was fierce and bedtime noisy and sloppy .

Janieab, thank you for checking in again. Will be anxious to read your (and flygod's) full reviews of this particular cruise.

These first hand reports ARE important because they lend a personal, first hand perspective to all the rumors and PR (and in mgt's case, no response) spin that goes on when problems like these arise.

Janieab -- I'm a bit confused. Did you say they offered you 35% PLUS the 15% on board discount? That would be 50%, which seems a bit excessive to me. It's my understanding that only 2 voyages have been impacted by port cancellations -- the one from Barbados through the Canal and the one back into San Juan. The earlier discount was 20% plus the 15% on board, which is 35% total. I don't believe any of the other voyages are anticipated to have port cancellations strictly as a result of the engine issue. But I can sure understand that it might not be very comfortable if you have rough seas and only one engine to compensate! I've had some rough seas around PR in the past, as well as in the southern Caribbean, so can commiserate!:eek:

FT, I looked at the contract and it appears they have themselves pretty well covered with no exceptions. However, I would agree with you that in this case, should a guest have wished to cancel, it would behoove SD to have accommodated them. Any other cruise line seems to do so when something has gotten screwed up somehow.. . .

7. CARRIER’S CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR INTERRUPTION OF CRUISE; CHANGE IN ACCOMMODATIONS

(A) The Carrier may for any reason whatsoever, with or without advance notice, substitute any other Yacht for the named Yacht, change the scheduled port of embarkation, omit or change any, some, or all scheduled calls at any intermediate ports, omit or change the scheduled port of disembarkation, call at any port whether or not contemplated in the itinerary, change all or part of any itinerary, as well as transfer the Guest and the Guest’s baggage to any other Yacht or conveyance, whether belonging to Carrier or not, back to the port of embarkation or to the originally scheduled port or disembarkation.

(B) The Guest shall have no right to any refund or any other compensation, and the Carrier shall have no obligation or liability in respect thereof to the Guest except in the event of the Carrier’s willful or negligent actions, as follows:

(i) If any portion of the cruise is cancelled altogether, Carrier shall refund a proportionate share attributable to the cancelled portion.

(ii) If the scheduled sailing date or time is delayed and you are not accommodated on board, the Carrier may arrange hotel accommodations at no additional expense to you for the duration of the delay.

(iii) If the scheduled port of embarkation or disembarkation is changed, the Carrier will arrange transportation to or from the originally scheduled port.

(iv) If in the opinion of the Master, booked accommodations must be changed, the Carrier shall have the right to allocate other accommodations to the Guest.

Jim, I think the captains do have a 2 on/2 off schedule. I can't remember if Bjarne said when he was coming back on board, but it may not have been early. I also suspect since he has been there a long time, he may be more comfortable with saying things than Capt. Remi might. After all, this was Capt. Remi's first contract (what a baptism of fire!) and, social as he appears to be, he may not know the lay of the land as well as Bjarne.

My understanding was that the part had been located and would be delivered -- they were looking for the time they needed in the schedule to make the repairs, but I don't know exactly when that was to be.

In any case, I agree that communication has been seriously lacking and I don't know why -- I don't know what the constraints may or may not be on the staff -- I know they read these boards and communicate with some of us and understand the concerns. I just don't understand why they can't seem to say something about it. :confused:

Perhaps this will be a "lesson learned" for them -- BTW, I've also suggested that Bob Lepisto do a CC Q&A!

I, too, will look forward to the full reports from JanieAB and Flygod!

Vandrefalk

Here is a copy of the letter , we ended up missing 3 of the 4 ports and one port was rescheduled , removed, rescheduled and removed. The offer was generous and had it been honored - a different forum may have emerged .

Important Notification Regarding Your Upcoming Voyage

December 23, 2013

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Beyer,

We are writing to advise you of some engine maintenance on board the SEADREAM I. Regrettably, this required maintenance has reduced the speed and will slightly affect the voyage plan. We've had to cancel the 4 hour call to San Andreas, Columbia as well as the port of La Romana. Cancellation is never our intention, nor our desire. Please know we commiserate with you and apologize for the situation. We are however certain you will enjoy the voyage with exceptional food, service and amenities on board the yacht.

New Itinerary:

Date Port of Call Arrive Depart

Jan 04, 2014 Colon, Panama Evening

Jan 05, 2014 at Sea

Jan 06, 2014 at Sea

Jan 07, 2014 Ocho Rios Morning Afternoon

Jan 08, 2014 at Sea

Jan 09, 2014 at Sea

Jan 10, 2014 Punta Cana Morning Evening

Jan 11, 2014 San Juan, Puerto Rico Morning

As a result of the changes, a $400 onboard credit has been added to each stateroom. Additionally, you are being provided a 35% future voyage savings which is combinable with the 15% (or 10% for open booking) onboard booking savings. In other words, if you reserve a specific future voyage while aboard you'll obtain 35% + 15% savings. If you reserve a future open-booking, you'll receive 35% + 10% savings. If you are not ready to deposit a future booking while onboard, you may take home the 35% savings which is valid towards a new reservation traveled by December 31, 2015. Savings is taken from the Book Today & Save fares as seen on our website.

Please provide this letter to SEADREAM YACHT CLUB or your travel professional when you next reserve.

We would like to wish you an incredible voyage on board the SEADREAM I.

Sincerely,

Adrienne d’Annunzio

Manager Guest Relations & SeaDream Club

SEADREAM YACHT CLUB

601 Brickell Key Dr., Suite 1050

Miami, FL 33131

Reservations:

info@seadream.com

(800) 707-4911

Edit your subscription | Unsubscribe

The cruises director said he was instructed by Miami... We wrote on board but are still waiting to hear ... Everyone agrees staff, crew and passengers Miami has communication . The contract excludes negligence .

Also can not bullet proof against misrepresentations which depending on facts could also be fraud.

FT

FYI not my first sd, did the Sir Francis Drake.. Loved it..perfection ...so sad I did not get even close.

Just curious, what is the Sir Francis Drake? Other than history, I am unfamiliar with a passenger ship of that name.:D

If anyone is interested in the details of a crankshaft replacement, here's a link to a pretty good article. I'm sure the reason for failure was very different, but even the non-engineer I am could understand. I assume if repairs begain in Puerto Rico, SDI did not have to be hoisted out of the water. Would have been very interesting in watching them get new crankshaft onto ship. If anyone took pictures, please post.

http://www.marinediesels.info/repairs/crankshaft_replacement_3.htm

FT

Edited by frequent traveler

The Sir Francis Drake Sound is between the American and British Virgin Islands .. St John , Tortola, Virgiin Gorda etc..

Pierre is on board, Captain Erkisen was on board , not sure who replaced him. He made very few announcements , sounded kinda of strict ,

The Sir Francis Drake Sound is between the American and British Virgin Islands .. St John , Tortola, Virgiin Gorda etc..

Pierre is on board, Captain Erkisen was on board , not sure who replaced him. He made very few announcements , sounded kinda of strict ,

Sorry in is understood. I thought you were referring to a ship. Hey, it is Monday.

I hope it's the Captain with the reddish hair, I love him! Is Brian and Mikee on board? Chef?

Mikee and Rose left for their vacation when we left the ship right before Thanksgiving. I don't recall how long they were going to be off. So if you're not sailing for a few weeks, maybe they'll be back.

If anyone is interested in the details of a crankshaft replacement, here's a link to a pretty good article. I'm sure the reason for failure was very different, but even the non-engineer I am could understand. I assume if repairs begain in Puerto Rico, SDI did not have to be hoisted out of the water. Would have been very interesting in watching them get new crankshaft onto ship. If anyone took pictures, please post.

http://www.marinediesels.info/repairs/crankshaft_replacement_3.htm

FT

Thanks FT. That is exactly the way they did it on the ship I was on. In automotive terms, SD I had a "blown engine".:eek: About as major repair as it gets. The big hold up was sourcing a new crank. Seems they have sorted that out. The rest is just work (and $$$$$$$).:D

Jim, don't think they did well on this one, did they?

4. The right to timely information updates as to any adjustments in the itinerary of the ship in the event of a mechanical failure or emergency, as well as timely updates of the status of efforts to address mechanical failures.

Vandrefalk

Jim, don't think they did well on this one, did they?

4. The right to timely information updates as to any adjustments in the itinerary of the ship in the event of a mechanical failure or emergency, as well as timely updates of the status of efforts to address mechanical failures.

Vandrefalk

It certainly seems that way. We were just lucky the distances were so short in Costa Rica. I would not have been happy with the Panama/San Juan trip as described.

To all SD lovers,

Having sailed SD2 20+ voyages, our first on SD1 and the old and elegant Sea Goddess prior to Cunard destroying them.... we are very familiar to the excellent product SD is capable of.

The SD1 voyage was unlike anything we can remember. Fond memories of the original "cross-over" cruise when Mr. Brynstad and his team when they purchased Sea Goddess from Cunard.....we were on that sailing - crew was stressed, food atypically mediocre but the memories of the birth of a new line, the new spa, the absence of the green astroturf on the upper decks, the loss of the sauna wrapped around the funnel, real candles in the dining room, whote gloved service at the jacuzzi at 2am....how decadent, now all but a memory albeit a fine one!

As JANIEAB & JES4845 have stated, it is perplexing why management has all but ignored any questions, complaints, compliments etc. It was my understanding that Pamela Connover [ the brainchild of Seabourn ] left after only 9 months with SD. All executive decisions were moved to Oslo and Mr. Bynstad's office. An email to Bob Lepisto, "who was the easiest CEO to talk to and had lightning fast email responses" went unanswered.

Now to my cruise review:

Ship was lovely and felt as it always has an elegant ship without all the people, changes of fabric or bedding, a little worn here and there, but who was to complain - the crew & officers easily made up for the lack of glitz and glam of bigger ships.

Pierre & Ennis worked their magic during the "salad spinner" week we were aboard, the Captain "I forget his name" was courteous, though affected by his need to leave the ship and go home to Spain to work on his sports cars, the new Captain " I forget his name also" all but hid somewhere on the ship, engaging nobody in conversation waiting with baited breath for us all to disembark in San Juan.

Any conversation about the "engine issue" with the other officers was returned with an abrubt change is conversation [ full stop ]

The best part of SD1: the spa services, the crews eager desire to try to fix the mess of management with good food and an eager desire to please.

The middle ground: the seemingly lack of crew in other areas, I even tried to find out if there were indeed 95 crew on the ship ... dining room waiters seemed stretched, housekeepers overworked and bar staff with little or no knowledge of mixology. Asking for a San Pellegrino often was often met with a glass of Pinot Grigio or a Manhattan met with a Gin Martini, a scotch whiskey with a bourbon, all delivered with love and care and a desire to please - language may be an issue and I am certainly patient, I guess this is simply a training issue or my lack of the use of the english language.

The opposite end of the spectrum [ at least for me ] was the bottom of the barrel wines and standard liquor on offer. Crane Lake Merlot [ purchased this for my staff party and was $3.50 a bottle at BevMo ] an Albarinho form Spain that was listed as a below 70 point wine for $4.40 a bottle at Vons, Absolute Vodka and Johnny Walker Red Label was the best available, mind you Grey Goose could be had for $10.00 and ounce [ the 4 seasons hotel in NYC for $20.00 throws in a silver platter with enough fixings it could be called a "light lunch" ] SD website calls this "five star offerings" ...

[ Open Bar with selected premium brands ]

The quandary: 3 half kilograms of Caviar [ at NYC prices a whopping $7,500.00 at the low end ] spooned out over the course of 6 days, lovely and very expensive - perhaps this $$$ could have benefited the bars and menus in a more positive way. I am a fan of caviar and love every spoon, though, times have changed .... move with the groove, buy USA caviar or import perfect smoked salmon, King Crab legs on every lunch buffet, filet/rib steak instead of strip loin....

The bottom line: no more room service of anything hot, the lack of the little things that we all loved about SD [ an engaging Captain, an open bridge, an unexpected stop at an unexpected port due to poor weather the day of arrival, a head office that sends more than a chain letter to concerned guests many of whom were the bread and butter of this line in its infancy

Indeed, it seems as though and dare I say it, SD is in financial turmoil [ maybe its the caviar ] or being run by an owner who has lost his way?

The 15% plus 35% discount on future cruises was a nice offer, however, that discount is now being calculated at 35% and then 15% which is in fact only 43%. SD Club director, a hard working, eager & courteous young fellow named Garreth, had his hands tied trying to get answers from that "black hole" known as head office. Our future cruises we tried to book on-board are still unconfirmed and perpetual requests go unanswered, none the fault of this young man.

------

It is with a heavy heart that we will bid farewell to Christophe, Pierre, Ennis, Werner and all those other very special people that we have grown to love over our many years with SD 1 & 2. The fond and funny memories like the day we were in NYC on SD and Ivana Trump visited the ship and fell out of the hammock that was once on the "top deck", all that blond hair and makeup face down on the teak decking....a media nightmare but a fond memory for a nobody like myself or Mr. Brynstad engaging guests with his beautiful wife and 2 very well behaved children, asking what SD could do better than what Cunard has so undone. I felt "listened to" if that is the correct grammar?

The new Seabourn Sisters, Odyssey, Sojourn, Quest will be our new home at sea....at least until SD figures themselves out and management can step up to the plate & take some responsibility for their companies promises.

Having just completed a 14 day Seabourn Legend trip, these little ones have their own issues too [ on the Seabourn forum ]

Engines break, things fall apart, management changes... we get that - but this indignant silence is unacceptable.

If SD does come to the plate or builds a new hull...we will be back in a nano-second because after all "its the people that make the company and that company the experience"!

JNJATSEA