SDI - Jan. 11 sailing from San Juan

WAO

My TA told me yesterday that SD I was in San Juan as we speak to fix the propellor issue. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I am a little skeptical of the info SD corporate is providing to my TA. Thank you.

Stines, your question and your TA's confusion are just two examples of why SD's management needs to get off their derrieres and start communicating. I'm afraid that their continued 'stick head in the sand' attitude is going to do irreparable harm to the reputation of this line and their ability to survive.

My TA told me yesterday that SD I was in San Juan as we speak to fix the propellor issue. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I am a little skeptical of the info SD corporate is providing to my TA. Thank you.

I bet they wish it was only a propeller issue.

I wanted to follow up on my earlier response when I said we had cancelled our third booking since August and what was our only remaining one. In that post I noted no one at SD USA tried to talk us out of it whenI emailed the cancelation notice and it was acknowledged. The brief PS is that I did later receive an email from senior management inquiring why. I decided I owed it to them, the staff and my fellow CC SD followers here not to dodge the question. My reply was as candid as many of us have been here on this forum. I urged more communication in general and about the engine, the ships, kids, groups etc including doing a CC Q&A. That was several days ago. So far silence in return. In the meantime we have rebooked our August vacation on another luxury cruise line. My wife and I remain saddened by the fact we won't see and interact with the SD crew.

Here's hoping that someone or more reports to Cruise Critic while on there cruise this upcoming week (11-18th). Give us the real low down on SDI.

Don't need anymore then your observations , been quiet here this week.

Were going March 20th 9 day cruise>> Barbados-Barbados.<<

Got our Room before cruise at Hilton.

Hope to here from others going on our cruise and hoping SD gets things on the right path

We are in San Juan right now ready to head out tomorrow. The ship is not at the pier right now. We are looking forward to a great time. I will report back.

Have a great time, Orchard Hill - will look fwd to reading about your cruise.

Hopefully Flygod will also check in soon.

Just got off sd1, engine still broken , 6 knots , no stops except for la Ramana to allow captain to get off to leave on vacation. Advised that the normal hotel was too busy to accommodate and other areas too dangerous to travel to. 6 days at sea being tossed like a salad spinner .. Staff was great, massage great except masseuse had to leave to throw up... It's being renamed seanightmare... It was an adventure bit bit what was promised! More later

Just got off sd1, engine still broken , 6 knots , no stops except for la Ramana to allow captain to get off to leave on vacation. Advised that the normal hotel was too busy to accommodate and other areas too dangerous to travel to. 6 days at sea being tossed like a salad spinner .. Staff was great, massage great except masseuse had to leave to throw up... It's being renamed seanightmare... It was an adventure bit bit what was promised! More later

sorry to hear that. Look forward to more details.

FT

We also are sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered. They were entirely anticipated though and I, along with others, are appalled by SeaDream management's handling of the issue. I understand the parts are rare to non existent but to continue to impact voyage after voyage of unsuspecting (for the most part) passengers by sailing a ship with one engine damaged is going to have long term consequences I fear. Hard choices are to take the ship out of service until repaired or to refit the ship with more modern engines. Both very expensive choices which would involve heavy financing which might not be available to SeaDream.

We also are sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered. They were entirely anticipated though and I, along with others, are appalled by SeaDream management's handling of the issue. I understand the parts are rare to non existent but to continue to impact voyage after voyage of unsuspecting (for the most part) passengers by sailing a ship with one engine damaged is going to have long term consequences I fear. Hard choices are to take the ship out of service until repaired or to refit the ship with more modern engines. Both very expensive choices which would involve heavy financing which might not be available to SeaDream.

Hey Jim, if SeaDream I remains with 1 engine what are your thoughts on making the stops on the Feb 15 cruise?

Feb 15, 2014 Marigot, St. Martin, FWI Morning Evening

Feb 16, 2014 Sandy Ground, Anguilla, British West Indies Morning Afternoon

Feb 16, 2014 Gustavia, St Barts, FWI Afternoon Overnight

Feb 17, 2014 Gustavia, St Barts, FWI Evening

Feb 18, 2014 Falmouth Morning Evening

Feb 19, 2014 Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe Morning Evening

Feb 20, 2014 Basseterre, St. Kitts Morning Evening

Feb 21, 2014 Coconut Grove, Nevis Morning Evening

Feb 22, 2014 Marigot, St. Martin, FWI

Hey Jim, if SeaDream I remains with 1 engine what are your thoughts on making the stops on the Feb 15 cruise?

Feb 15, 2014 Marigot, St. Martin, FWI Morning Evening

Feb 16, 2014 Sandy Ground, Anguilla, British West Indies Morning Afternoon

Feb 16, 2014 Gustavia, St Barts, FWI Afternoon Overnight

Feb 17, 2014 Gustavia, St Barts, FWI Evening

Feb 18, 2014 Falmouth Morning Evening

Feb 19, 2014 Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe Morning Evening

Feb 20, 2014 Basseterre, St. Kitts Morning Evening

Feb 21, 2014 Coconut Grove, Nevis Morning Evening

Feb 22, 2014 Marigot, St. Martin, FWI

I would think that the distances are short enough to make all but possibly Terre de Haute, Guadaloupe. But they could shorten the stay at St. Barts and possibly then make all stops. Of course, the engine could be repaired by then?:D Have you heard nothing from SeaDream yet?

Edited by Jim Avery

Very sorry to hear this.

I was able to switch to Seabourn and it has been fabulous. Seadream really handled this badly. Did they offer you any money back or just a discount on a future trip?

I can't understand Seaborn providing just a room credit when the trip was changed so dramatically. Very bad decision

Edited by Dave Stuart

Quick question. Did SeaDream tell you in advance that there would be no stops? Any compensation? Thanks. J.

Seadream advised Christmas Eve due "routine" maintenance 2 stops would be omitted , they offered a 35% discount + the 15% on board discount and said it would be combined .. They did this In writing from there Miami Office. Once on board they would not honor the discount ! In addition they did not offer us the choice of canceling or re-booking. More later...

I would think that the distances are short enough to make all but possibly Terre de Haute, Guadaloupe. But they could shorten the stay at St. Barts and possibly then make all stops. Of course, the engine could be repaired by then?:D Have you heard nothing from SeaDream yet?

We did Guadaloupe last year, so wouldn't be terribly disappointed if that was cut.

Not a peep from Seadream. At this point I'm just praying that 1) SeaDream is sailing that week and not being repaired, 2) we make it to Anguilla and Nevis -- never been to either of those islsands, and 3) that they can still make a delicious Salty Chihuahua. Fingers crossed!

The discount was for future bookings not the Jan 4 booking

janieab,

You are a kinder and more flexible person than me. Had I received the dec 24 letter as described I likely would have cancelled and demanded full refund and reimbursement for all non refundable expenses- eliminating 2 ports "for routine maintenance" is something totally within SD's control, not something to be shrugged off as bad seas or a port decisions or political country development.

And had we missed all stops due to an engine issue known to SD before I boarded I would be seeking a full refund. I would be arguing that they did not deliver as promised even in the Dec 24 letter and that now takes them out of the safety of all their exclusions in their carriage contract and subjects them to US law. This is so different than how they have handled serious issues in the past. Price to our last cruise with children we had received full compensation for cancelled due to charters and acceptable partial refunds/obc/ future discounts due to other on board issues.

sorry to those who view this as rabble rousing, but my personal opinion mirrors those of several others and perhaps is even stronger. I am a former hard core SD cheerleader, even an addict and I still think the on board crew is the best service team in the world, but SD is in crisis mode and either doesn't know it or doesn't know how to handle. If SD were larger, this would be front page cruise industry news and a lot more questions would be being asked right now.

FT

With a very heavy heart as to the crew, I agree with FT. There was a time not too long ago they had us or at least me hooked completely. We only did big vacations on SD for the five years since 2008. I checked out ship locations and web postings almost daily. I encouraged people via this forum and elsewhere to give it a try. I did the same on board and in person when travel came up in conversation. My wife said I was auditioning to be the CAD or something. Even management when on board thanked me. Then all went terribly wrong in less than six months. I won't repeat the other postings with the details. Once on track for two trips per year sometimes three and certainly lots more over time when we retire in a few years we are trying another line. While we are still working calendars require we plan ahead. I'm not comfortable leaving money on deposit so far out from a voyage under these circumstances. I'm also not comfortable with how other passengers are being treated. The Internet informs and empowers consumers like nothing before it. The intense loyalty the SD staff earns and creates for the product bonds us on this forum. That should be an SD asset if managed properly, but becomes a major liability when owner and management squander it.