Best part of 7 mile beach for snorkelling

Eager2Explore

Really, IMO the only even mediocre snorkelling along SMB is around the far end (Cemetery Beach) but there aren't any facilities/amenities there. You'd also have to have your own gear.

Much better snorkelling can be found to the right of the cruise terminals, at Paradise Grill & Eden Rock, but the water is deep and there's no beach. Both places have restrooms and gear rentals.

concur and here's why

7 Mile is a great beach because the water is shallow with a white sand bottom for about a mile off shore. This means snorkeling is over sand . . . not very exciting. At 7 mile the reef is a mile off shore and starts at a depth of around 60 feet - for the most part.

South of town, Beginning at Eden Rock area and extending well past Sunset House the coral runs right up the shore. There is no sand beach, they call it Iron Shore. several places have cut entry ways into the Iron Shore so you can shorkle 'right there'

100_0098_zpsd8dc80be.jpg

Sunset area from the air

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

My 3 teens snorkeled at Paradise Cafe last summer (2013). There is also a water trampoline. They brought their own equipment and had a great time snorkeling and then jumping on the trampoline. I could hardly get them to leave. I tried to go out to the trampoline and was wearing water shoes (turned out, these were like an anchor). It is true that there really isn't a shallow part. There is also a mild current. Just don't be like me and think that you can just swim out to the trampoline. I couldn't make it out there and turned around. Then, I thought I wouldn't make it back to shore. Very scary. The waiters there did warn me about the current and said it was best to wear flippers (which my teens had). After this, I just wanted my kids back on shore and then to go back to the boat! They were completely fine. I am just out of shape.

In the summer of 2012, we took a cab to 7 mile Beach. It is beautiful and is a must-see. My teens snorkeled at Tiki Beach. It is true that it is probably not the best snorkeling, but it is just so beautiful. It is shallow and you can just sit in the water and stay cool. In fact, we all got sunburned there. Beware of the sun!