Mother of all Hurricanes is forming!

There are quite a large number of web sites which provide plots of the official National Hurricane Center track forecast. Here are some:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200505_5day.html

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ (click on the thumbnail of the graph you want to see)

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Theron

we are going the end of august and i am praying that we get a break! i cannot believe that we have seen so much activity alreay. it is scary. it really does seem like once one passes, there is another right behind it. i am keeping my fingers crossed that the week of aug 21st, is "national hurrican vacation week"..!

Gina

If you can get to the ship, you should still be able to cruise. You might not get to experience the ports you signed up for, but at least they take you where the weather is nice.

It's the year of the magical mystery cruise. You never know where you will be going.

Leaving on September 3 from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and Grand Cayman. Hopefully we wont have a repeat of last September.

I know how you feel! We leave September 4th from San Juan and after last summers cruise for 5nts that turned into 7 nights on the Enchantment thatnks to Hurricane Frances!! But, as long as we make it to San Juan, I guess that is all that matters!

Not every wave that comes off the coast of Africa will develop any further. This time of year, the thundertorms in Africa do roll off the coast into the Atlantic one after another. The big mystery is which ones will further develop into depressions, storms, and hurricanes.

The forecasts made by the NWS and Dr. William Gray's group out of Colorado State have indicated that this season will be much more active than an "average" season, and even a little more active than last year. But that doesn't mean that each group of clouds rolling off the coast will become a hurricane. That happens all summer long every year.

Theron

At the rate they are going, they will soon run out of names. There are only 26 letters ya know. Last year, it was the end of August before the F for Frances was used. Here we are in the middle of July and we are at E already. The NE/Canada cruise I am thinking about for the end of August is looking better, although I will say that I enjoyed all the excitment of my hurricane extended cruise last summer. Imagine being in the dining room on the Explorer, unsure of when exactly you are docking in Miami, then the captain comes on the PA, and everything comes to complete silence(1500 people eating and you could hear a pin drop) to tell us that we are definitly extended for another day.

At the rate they are going, they will soon run out of names. There are only 26 letters ya know. Last year, it was the end of August before the F for Frances was used. Here we are in the middle of July and we are at E already. The NE/Canada cruise I am thinking about for the end of August is looking better, although I will say that I enjoyed all the excitment of my hurricane extended cruise last summer. Imagine being in the dining room on the Explorer, unsure of when exactly you are docking in Miami, then the captain comes on the PA, and everything comes to complete silence(1500 people eating and you could hear a pin drop) to tell us that we are definitly extended for another day.

Well, if I had to be stranded somewhere a cruiseship is a heck of alot better than an airport!! That would also make my son's day!! ;-)

Last year I was one of the Stuck in the Airport kind of cruisers. After 2 nights of being one of "those" people, we became one of the people who missed their cruise entirely. Not fun. We're hopeful that leaving from Baltimore this time we'll have a better shot of getting on the ship. Where we go will be irelevant. :)

Guest OBAYbee

It's the year of the magical mystery cruise. You never know where you will be going.

Awesome attitude you have there. I like that "Year of the magical mystery cruise"!

At the rate they are going, they will soon run out of names. There are only 26 letters ya know.

After you posted this I was interested in what other names would be used this year. Here's the list:

2005 Hurricane Names:

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Dennis

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katrina

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rita

Stan

Tammy

Vince

Wilma

Anyone wanna take bets on what the last storm name will be?

It is really hard to predict what will happen with each individual hurricane. I get sort of ftustrated with all the "OH NO LOOK WHAT'S COMING NEXT" threads posted here. Everyone gets into a panic and worries and many of them do not affect cruises at all. Some do and some do badly but it is really hard to tell which ones are going to be bad news. I used to live in Northwest Florida and well remember a hurricane popping through in June (I cannot remember the name of it but it was the same year as Opal).

Watch them and think about it but don't let the worry take over.

After you posted this I was interested in what other names would be used this year. Here's the list:

2005 Hurricane Names:

Arlene

Bret

Cindy

Dennis

Emily

Franklin

Gert

Harvey

Irene

Jose

Katrina

Lee

Maria

Nate

Ophelia

Philippe

Rita

Stan

Tammy

Vince

Wilma

Anyone wanna take bets on what the last storm name will be?

Thanks for the list... interesting. We are sailing Aug 26th from Bayonne with my brother & sister in law and her name is Tammy. Wouldn't it be a hoot if we had a "go round" with Hurricane Tammy? LOL..I know it's way down the list and not likely but at the rate they are going who knows LOL

National Hurricane Center, Miami, Florida stated a while back this:

• In 1985, the names "Xina," "York," and "Zelda" were added when the normal list was exhausted. Since then, either those three or "Xavier," "Yolanda," and "Zeke" have been added to preserve the alternating gender. If more names are needed for any one year, letters of the Greek alphabet will be used (e.g. Zelda, Alpha, Beta, ...).

I don't know if it is still true, but I have heard of this before.

Archived