Anguilla by Ferry

kcparrothead

I read an old post that said they took a cab to Marigot, then took the ferry over to Anguilla for around $15. per person each way. Is the Dune Preserve at Rendevoux Bay close to the ferry terminal? I'm wondering what the taxi fare would cost us to go to that beach or another nice beach. Our ship will be in port in St. Maarten from 8 to 7 so we should have plenty of time to spend in Anguilla, right? I'm in the beginning planning stages right now, but wondering if many cruisers do this. Thanks!

We did this trip when we were staying on St. Martin last year. I am not sure that I would attempt this as a day trip from the cruise ship.

YOu need to be on line for the ferry at least 45 minutes in advance. YOu must bring your passport and go through immigration and pay $25 per person each way (ferry and fees). The crossing is sometimes delayed because of choppy seas in this area (It takes about 30 minutes). The cab fare to Rendezvous Bay is about $25 from the ferry terminal. While the beach is beautiful, I am not sure that it would be worth the time and expense. You need to leave the beach to take a ferry back no later than 3. If they fill up you have to wait for the next one.

We did this because we wanted to check out CuisinArt resort on Anguilla. The crossing on the ferry was very rough and packed with people. Didn't enjoy that. The beaches are beautiful though. We took a taxi on Anguilla but I don't remember how much it was.

We did this trip when we were staying on St. Martin last year. I am not sure that I would attempt this as a day trip from the cruise ship.

YOu need to be on line for the ferry at least 45 minutes in advance. YOu must bring your passport and go through immigration and pay $25 per person each way (ferry and fees). The crossing is sometimes delayed because of choppy seas in this area (It takes about 30 minutes). The cab fare to Rendezvous Bay is about $25 from the ferry terminal. While the beach is beautiful, I am not sure that it would be worth the time and expense. You need to leave the beach to take a ferry back no later than 3. If they fill up you have to wait for the next one.

I have never been to the ferry 45 minutes prior to boarding. This past July we got to the ferry 5 minutes before the scheduled departure and still made it.

I think that you have plenty of time with on your port day if you arrive on schedule. Have a plan B in case of bad weather because the beaches are the big draw on Anguilla and if it's not a good beach day then it's really not worth the trip IMO anyways.

I have never been to the ferry 45 minutes prior to boarding. This past July we got to the ferry 5 minutes before the scheduled departure and still made it.

I think that you have plenty of time with on your port day if you arrive on schedule. Have a plan B in case of bad weather because the beaches are the big draw on Anguilla and if it's not a good beach day then it's really not worth the trip IMO anyways.

Thank you! I agree, if it's not a good beach day, we'll have a Plan B. I've changed my mind about Rendevoux Bay and now want to go to Shoal Bay, which I read is in the top ten of Caribbean beaches. It's closer, too!

Thank you! I agree, if it's not a good beach day, we'll have a Plan B. I've changed my mind about Rendevoux Bay and now want to go to Shoal Bay, which I read is in the top ten of Caribbean beaches. It's closer, too!

Shoal Bay had lost a lot of beach last year compared to the summer before. Meads and Rendevoux are also beautiful. We had lunch at Meads Bay at the Straw Hat restaurant last summer and really enjoyed it. We swam and snorkeled over by the Malliouhana resort. We crashed Cap Juluca on Maundys bay by going in the service entry and the beach waiters offered us free drinks. The beach there actually had pebbles and was our least faviorite. Rendevoux has the best views because it is facing St. Martin.:)

Shoal Bay had lost a lot of beach last year compared to the summer before. Meads and Rendevoux are also beautiful. We had lunch at Meads Bay at the Straw Hat restaurant last summer and really enjoyed it. We swam and snorkeled over by the Malliouhana resort. We crashed Cap Juluca on Maundys bay by going in the service entry and the beach waiters offered us free drinks. The beach there actually had pebbles and was our least faviorite. Rendevoux has the best views because it is facing St. Martin.:)

Thank you again!! I originally wanted to go to Rendezvous because I've read that Bankie Banx beach bar at the Dune Preserve is one of the best in the Caribbean (I'm sure that's up to each individual, though! :) ) Rendezvous would be a lot closer than Shoal Bay, too, right? When I first looked, I thought it was on the west side across from St. Martin, but the last time I looked it looks like it's opposite the ferry dock.

Thanks for your reply - I still think we could do this since we're in port for 11 hours. We've been to St Maarten several times & are ready to see Anguilla

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Don't forget to check out the cuisine art resort

Edited by Pennstateman

Thank you again!! I originally wanted to go to Rendezvous because I've read that Bankie Banx beach bar at the Dune Preserve is one of the best in the Caribbean (I'm sure that's up to each individual, though! :) ) Rendezvous would be a lot closer than Shoal Bay, too, right? When I first looked, I thought it was on the west side across from St. Martin, but the last time I looked it looks like it's opposite the ferry dock.

We have not visited Dune Preserve, but I have seen various magazine reviews that rate it top 10 or even number one beach bar in the Caribbean. That said, I have heard and read reviews that it can be a total disappointment, with sky-high prices and less than indiferrent service.

Note that Anguilla has two locations known as 'Shoal Bay'.

There is Upper Shoal Bay, which is on the northern and eastern of the island, and Shoal Bay West, near the West End Village.

gary

When we stayed at the Cuisinart Resort last year, we went to Banky Banx during the day, it's quite dead then. The real scene is at night.

Maybe we should just spend the day at Shoal Bay East, then make a quick stop at Bankie's just to say we've been there! ;) Are the beach bars fun over at Shoal Bay? I just want, as Kenny C would say: "The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand!"

There are some things we love to do when on a land vacation that we don't want to do on a port stop.

Going to Anguilla by Ferry is one of them that would be a no-no for us on a port shop.

LuLu

~~~~

I wouldn't either but thats because I would much rather spend day on St. Maarten than a day in Anguilla. The poster asked if it could be done on a 8am - 7pm port stop. The simple answer is yes.

Thank you! Yes, I know most people would choose to stay on St Maarten. We have been there several times in a row & have seen the island, visited Marigot, Orient Beach, Simpson Bay, Pinel Island & Maho to watch planes land 3 times. We're ready for something different!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I would love to know what you did....been to st Martin twice ....saw Anguilla from our lunch spot a couple weeks ago....would love to make a week of it...or 11 hours even...what ship and line is doing that!?

Celebrity Summit re-positioning from Newark to San Juan 6-day cruise on Oct. 19th. It was a great deal on Vacations To Go website - even came with a free drink package. We actually just cancelled it, however, in favor of the Carnival Splendor repositioning from San Juan to Miami on November 1st so we'll not be going over to Anguilla after all. Love our new stops on the 8 day, though! St. Croix, Martinique, Dominica, Grenada & Grand Turk!

Wow , we just got off a ship and now you are making me go look at prices for that .....but those islands are on our bucket list!

Too damn cold here in KC today!!

Yes, it is!! It looks like it's going to be a sell out - already a chatty roll call here on CC!

It is doable to visit Anguilla while on a St. Maarten port call, but you will spend a lot of the day on transportation. About half an hour to Marigot, some waiting time for the ferry, then about half an hour on the ferry, then perhaps half an hour getting to the beach you want to see. Close to four hours of your day will be spent in transit. Then, you have to remember that, while birth certificate and ID is enough to get you on the cruise ship, you will need a passport to go to Anguilla.