Am I going to hate this room on Liberty?

okiegirl07

Hi everyone! Once again my husband booked us a cruise on the Liberty on January 4th. I appreciate the surprise but we have an interior room on deck 2 in the front of the ship. The balconys were sold out and there is a pretty big price difference to upgrade to an ocean view. I called and I'm not sure how he booked it, but they said it would be $100 to change rooms to a room in the middle of the ship. Is it worth it? Am I going to be miserable in the front of the ship? Our last cruise we had a balcony on deck 9 in the front of the ship and didn't have any major problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I've sailed on deck 2 in the front twice before on similar ships, and I enjoyed it. It does feel a little bit more motion than midship, but it's not a big difference, unless you are especially sensitive to motion. I was in porthole rooms, which allowed us to hear the waves hitting up against the ship. That annoys some people, but I found it soothing. Getting off/on the ship in ports was so easy, as well as getting off the ship at the end of the cruise. If you can handle a couple flights of stairs, you will never need elevators when elevators are busiest (including before/after dinner, after shows in the theater). Very convenient location.

What type of room do you have? The reason I ask is that if you have a 1A (upper/lower), you won't have the 2 standard beds that can be pushed together. It will be one twin plus either an upper bunk or sofabed. Having one of those cheaper rooms is the only reason I can think that would explain there being a $100 difference to move to midship, unless this was booked awhile ago and prices have risen. If you have a standard regular interior (with the 2 twins=king), you should be able to switch to a midship on Riviera deck (same category) for no charge, as long as one is available.

Edited by k2excursion

I've sailed on deck 2 in the front twice before on similar ships, and I enjoyed it. It does feel a little bit more motion than midship, but it's not a big difference, unless you are especially sensitive to motion. I was in porthole rooms, which allowed us to hear the waves hitting up against the ship. That annoys some people, but I found it soothing. Getting off/on the ship in ports was so easy, as well as getting off the ship at the end of the cruise. If you can handle a couple flights of stairs, you will never need elevators when elevators are busiest (including before/after dinner, after shows in the theater). Very convenient location.

What type of room do you have? The reason I ask is that if you have a 1A (upper/lower), you won't have the 2 standard beds that can be pushed together. It will be one twin plus either an upper bunk or sofabed. Having one of those cheaper rooms is the only reason I can think that would explain there being a $100 difference to move to midship, unless this was booked awhile ago and prices have risen. If you have a standard regular interior (with the 2 twins=king), you should be able to switch to a midship on Riviera deck (same category) for no charge, as long as one is available.

I'm not really that concerned about movement as I am about noise. I like the fact of being able to get off the ship quickly at port. We also don't mind taking the stairs. We actually take them more than the elevator.

I called back (since eh is sick in bed!) and the room is category 4B. He booked the pack n go rate which is the guarantee where they select room. So the $100 is to switch to the past guest rate which doesn't do anything but move us down about 10-15 doors. Since it's last minute there is not very many rooms left. I think we just might leave it where it is. I know my son will easily find something to spend that $100 on!

I'm not really that concerned about movement as I am about noise. I like the fact of being able to get off the ship quickly at port. We also don't mind taking the stairs. We actually take them more than the elevator.

I called back (since eh is sick in bed!) and the room is category 4B. He booked the pack n go rate which is the guarantee where they select room. So the $100 is to switch to the past guest rate which doesn't do anything but move us down about 10-15 doors. Since it's last minute there is not very many rooms left. I think we just might leave it where it is. I know my son will easily find something to spend that $100 on!

Ok. I understand now. I didn't think of the possibility that the guarantee could've been the reason. Yeah, they don't let you switch rooms within the category for free when it's a guarantee. The category 4B will have the 2 twins/king set-up. I have stayed in 2217 & 2216 porthole rooms, which are probably close to where you're at. The main noise that I would hear, as I said, was the waves hitting the front of the ship. You probably won't hear that in your true interior room. You are likely to hear some sounds when the ship is coming into or leaving ports, which I did. It still wasn't bad, and I could sleep through it, although I was usually awake anyway. It can serve as an alarm clock. I have always thought that the aft had more noises & rattles than the front. I think you'll be fine in the room. Enjoy the cruise and enjoy the extra $100 to spend elsewhere.

Edited by k2excursion

If you were fine in the front of the ship on deck 9, then deck 2 ought to be no problem at least in terms of motion of the ship.

I have heard of noise, anchor drop in port - or maybe waves crashing against the ship. The only deal breaker noise I would be concerned for is being above or below the galley. Or underneath the weight lifting area in the gym! But you are safe from those things on deck 2.

You state your son can spend $100, is there a 3rd person going?

I typically like your responses to silly questions but if her husband booked the cruise and she mentioned her son going does that not add up to three people going?

I typically like your responses to silly questions but if her husband booked the cruise and she mentioned her son going does that not add up to three people going?

Didn't mention a son going till later. She simply stated hubby booked, later post saying son will spend money, not that he's going. The posts could also be interpreted as a son paying the cruise, but not paying to move.

Ok. I understand now. I didn't think of the possibility that the guarantee could've been the reason. Yeah, they don't let you switch rooms within the category for free when it's a guarantee. The category 4B will have the 2 twins/king set-up. I have stayed in 2217 & 2216 porthole rooms, which are probably close to where you're at. The main noise that I would hear, as I said, was the waves hitting the front of the ship. You probably won't hear that in your true interior room. You are likely to hear some sounds when the ship is coming into or leaving ports, which I did. It still wasn't bad, and I could sleep through it, although I was usually awake anyway. It can serve as an alarm clock. I have always thought that the aft had more noises & rattles than the front. I think you'll be fine in the room. Enjoy the cruise and enjoy the extra $100 to spend elsewhere.

Could you tell me the configuration of those rooms, I have been thinking of booking one.

I think you should be fine, we were on the liberty 2 weeks ago and the seas to me seemed a bit rough, but I was up on the 7th floor. I did speak with a one lady that had interior room down on 2, and she said it was noisy. She went to guest services to change her room but couldn't since there wasn't any rooms available. Try it and bring ear plugs just in case!

AZmike480

Didn't mention a son going till later. She simply stated hubby booked, later post saying son will spend money, not that he's going. The posts could also be interpreted as a son paying the cruise, but not paying to move.

I can't wait until my son is old enough and would hopefully buy his parents a cruise. By then he should owe us quite a few ;)

I believe you'll be under or very near the stage. If you're in your cabin before midnight the sounds from the evening shows will be very noticeable in your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just looked and it will be close to being under the stage. I'm not sure how often we will be in bed before midnight but just in case now I'm kinda worried.

Our last cruise in August was an ocean view on 2 but it was more in the middle. We heard no noise at all. We'll geez, now I'm back to deciding again.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I just looked and it will be close to being under the stage. I'm not sure how often we will be in bed before midnight but just in case now I'm kinda worried.

Our last cruise in August was an ocean view on 2 but it was more in the middle. We heard no noise at all. We'll geez, now I'm back to deciding again.

Most every night by about 10 30 main lounge is done for the night.

Fair enough;) and Okie I didn't mean to say your question was a silly one. I just meant to say that Ruthlessboss has a lot of good responses to the most silly questions in other threads where I am thinking +1 :D

The late show ends at about 11:30, and after the theater clears, it will be very quiet in there. So there should be no problems after that. Since I was always somewhere else during these times, I don't know if any noise came into my rooms during the shows. I had thought that we might hear some noise from any tear-down after the shows, since we were more underneath the backstage area, but I didn't hear a thing. There was one reference to the anchor earlier on. The anchor will not drop unless you are tendering into a port (Grand Cayman, Belize, etc). And even then, you'll probably want to be awake by then anyway.

Could you tell me the configuration of those rooms, I have been thinking of booking one.

I'm guessing that you're asking me about rooms 2216/2217. We don't want to get this thread off topic, but I will answer. These rooms were category 1A with portholes, the cheapest category on the ship, due to the sleeping arrangements. There was one standard bed (not 2 like all other categories) and a sofa bed for the 2nd person. Only a few category 1As have portholes, and some porthole rooms have the 2 regular beds (category PT). 2216/2217 are larger rooms than standard interiors, very noticeably larger, as it is a truly 185 sq.ft, plus the 2 portholes. This is from Dream room 2217:

P1030449.jpg

P1060743.jpg

Edited by k2excursion

• 1 month later...