P&O St Maarten 12/18/2013

mdh237

We sailed the Oasis and on 12/18 we were docked next to P&O Ventura in St Maarten. The departing party of the Ventura was unbelievable and unfortunately I was not able to video the festivities on board the Ventura viewable from our ship. The Frankie Valli music "By, By Baby" and the guest party on the top deck of the ship made for a sailaway like we have never seen before. We are hoping someone from our ship, or their ship or the Celeberity or Holland America ship on the other side of the Ventura got the video and can post it on you tube.

Thanks

We sailed the Oasis and on 12/18 we were docked next to P&O Ventura in St Maarten. The departing party of the Ventura was unbelievable and unfortunately I was not able to video the festivities on board the Ventura viewable from our ship. The Frankie Valli music "By, By Baby" and the guest party on the top deck of the ship made for a sailaway like we have never seen before. We are hoping someone from our ship, or their ship or the Celeberity or Holland America ship on the other side of the Ventura got the video and can post it on you tube.

Thanks

It is so good to hear that you enjoyed the Ventura sailaway. This is a trademark of a P&O cruise. I am sure there are other sailaways on you tube from other cruises.

It is so good to hear that you enjoyed the Ventura sailaway. This is a trademark of a P&O cruise. I am sure there are other sailaways on you tube from other cruises.

Hi Dai,

Sorry to mention the OV word again but OV1 versus OV2 leaving Grenada in Feb 2009 takes some beating!

Another good one was Arcadia and OV1 leaving Antigua in 2007, which was also quite poignant as OV1 was Arcadia in another life!

We have seen our American cousins looking on enviously at a few Caribbean sailaways.

Glad you enjoyed watching the fun on Ventura. It's called the Great British Sailaway and we love it too, although there are some on this forum who don't appreciate it:D. It features songs and music from round the British Isles. Bye Bye Baby is actually by a Scottish band from the 1970s called The Bay City Rollers but we'll forgive you for thinking it was by Frankie Valli :).

I've got lots of photos/videos of the sailway from the cruises we've done on P&O and it certainly makes sailways on other lines seem very tame.

Hi Dai,

Sorry to mention the OV word again but OV1 versus OV2 leaving Grenada in Feb 2009 takes some beating!

Another good one was Arcadia and OV1 leaving Antigua in 2007, which was also quite poignant as OV1 was Arcadia in another life!

We have seen our American cousins looking on enviously at a few Caribbean sailaways.

Blimey, someone is hanging onto the past! :rolleyes:

Hello,

My wife and I and our four friends ( Julia, Richard,Pauline, Scott) were at that sailaway, it was the best one yet, the noise was deafening, dancing on the sunbeds and merrily having such a fantastic time, that sailaway will remain with us for a long time.

Ya Canny Whack a British Sailaway Party.:)

Glad you enjoyed watching the fun on Ventura. It's called the Great British Sailaway and we love it too, although there are some on this forum who don't appreciate it:D. It features songs and music from round the British Isles. Bye Bye Baby is actually by a Scottish band from the 1970s called The Bay City Rollers but we'll forgive you for thinking it was by Frankie Valli :).

I've got lots of photos/videos of the sailway from the cruises we've done on P&O and it certainly makes sailways on other lines seem very tame.

Thanks for the reply. Please look at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye,_Bye,_Baby_%28Baby_Goodbye%29

You will see Frankie Valli sang the song 10 years before the Bay City Rollers copied him. We have seen Frankie in concert at least 6 times dating as far back as 1970.

On another note, I am hoping someone can send me the link to a video of the Ventura sailing off singing this classic song.

Thanks

I was on board Ventura for this sailaway party on deck & have to say it's the best sailaway party I've ever been to. My hubby did some video of it but has yet to figure out how to get it on to you tube :-) it was a fantastic day in st. Maarten my favourite port & my 3rd visit :-)

Thanks for the reply. Please look at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye,_Bye,_Baby_%28Baby_Goodbye%29

You will see Frankie Valli sang the song 10 years before the Bay City Rollers copied him. We have seen Frankie in concert at least 6 times dating as far back as 1970.

On another note, I am hoping someone can send me the link to a video of the Ventura sailing off singing this classic song.

Frankie Valli may have done the original version but the point I was making was that at the Great BRITISH sailaway, the tracks played are very British or performed by British bands like the Bay City Rollers. We all join in with their singing :) and dance just how the fans and band performed it at the time. It was meant as a light-hearted comment so I hope I didn't upset you.

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks

Found this on U Tube. Not exactly what you wanted but typical sail away but odd in having Azura and Ventura berthed together in Antigua.

Hope that works.

And another one.

And again

http://youtu.be/ruoOQ3GcSEI

So you can see this is a regular occurrence.

Edited by daiB

Found this on U Tube. Not exactly what you wanted but typical sail away but odd in having Azura and Ventura berthed together in Antigua.

Hope that works.

And another one.

And again

http://youtu.be/ruoOQ3GcSEI

So you can see this is a regular occurrence.

Thank you for these links. I did find them earlier. During this celebration it was so neat the way the announcer was saying good by to the Oasis, Celebrity and Holland America who were docked on both sides of the Ventura. I don't think it was by accident that we were all docked that way and Ventura departed first.

I am still hoping to see if someone recorded the sail away from St Maarten on 12/18/13.

We departed Lisbon on Azura in September alongside Ventura and Oriana and because our captain had previously served on Oriana we had a competition to see who could make the most noise between the two - both ships and passengers :D - during sailaway. It would be unfair to say who 'won' but trust me no-one could make any more noise than we did on Azura.:)

Edited by tartanexile81

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

My wife and I and our four friends ( Julia, Richard,Pauline, Scott) were at that sailaway, it was the best one yet, the noise was deafening, dancing on the sunbeds and merrily having such a fantastic time, that sailaway will remain with us for a long time.

Ya Canny Whack a British Sailaway Party.:)

Hi Scott here,

I'll back up everything mentioned in this thread, it was special to show such a good sailaway in port with so many other large ships at one time.

A great way to finish off a day, spent on the beach with $1 beers all day.