Any interest in a photo competition?

WLHyatt

I was thinking about putting together a cruise critic photo competition. I was thinking two categories, one for on-cruise-trip and one for not-cruise-related.

On-cruise-trip would be themed pictures taken while on the road headed for a cruise, pre and post cruise hotel stays, and of course during the cruise. Monthly themes which would be a single word or phrase to capture in the shooters image. Themes could be announced during the first couple of days of the month, and anyone currently on a cruise trip would use the previous month's theme for the duration of their cruise. The choosing of the winner could be toward the middle of the month to allow folks time to post their photos if the cruise were to leave on the 30th of the month for an 11 day cruise or something. Photos must be taken during the timeframe of the current (or previous for late departure cruises) theme, previously taken photos would not be allowed.

Not-Cruise-Related would be any photo taken during that month that is not on a cruise or the trip pre and post cruise. Monthly theme would be single word or phrase to capture in the shooters eye. The choosing of the winner could be toward the beginning of the month, because of the lack of a cruise lag. Photos must be taken during the timeframe of the current theme, previously taken photos would not be allowed.

Judging could be done by a panel of three or five regular contributors to the photo portion of the cruise critic forum. Judges could submit the top three entries for each category, hopefully reducing the chances of a tie. Judges could be chosen by a thread with nominations, then a poll to reduce the entries to the maximum number of judges. The judges could be changed annually or as needed to cover ones who have gone idle.

Any thoughts?

I like the sharing part too, I can be competitive for sure, but like this forum as it is kinda warm and fuzzy vs. the other, "pure photography" forums I visit from time to time.

I would not mind a critique thread though because I like to keep learning - and I have composition issues that would benefit from many members' here commenting and suggesting strategies, pointing out overlooked areas for improvement, etc. When Dave and others post a thread on a particular photographic technique topic of interest - it immediately becomes a favorite of mine.

If it's known up front it is a "critical" topic/thread, no feelings can be hurt.

I believe I may start one tonight after work - we shall see!

Thank you for bringing this up, though - there might be plenty that would still jump in. (me... :o)

And it doesn't have to be a critique type thing. All that would be chosen is the photo that has the best mix of subject relating to theme and composition/exposure/all the other photo buzzwords.

There doesn't have to be any feelings hurt, and there really are not any losers because everyone would submit photos to try and better their technique.

Edited by WLHyatt

• 2 weeks later...