Disappointed by Grandeur's service to vegetarians

etoile

Just got off the Grandeur a couple of days ago. I have been a vegetarian since 1993 and this was not my first cruise...but I have never had so many problems with the food. Rant ahead!

The Windjammer seemed to slap a vegetarian label on just about anything.

• My wife (not a vegetarian) saw Vegetable Fajitas with a "V" on them, and she tried them...they had fish.
  • I saw something labeled "Indian Dal Gosh" with a "V" on it, so I went to take some...it had giant pieces of meat. I asked one of the senior Windjammer crew about it - a guy from India himself - and he said "oh, Gosh means it has meat." How am I supposed to know that, especially if it has a "V" on it?
  • Chicken corn soup had a "V" on it. I picked up the label, found somebody, and said "chicken soup isn't vegetarian." He said "no, it sure isn't" and went to fix it.

Both MDR and Windjammer also failed to label items that were unclear as to whether they were vegetarian. Jalapeno potato soup, Brie and spinach phyllo puffs, Corn chowder...all of these can be vegetarian, but aren't necessarily. So my wife tried them, and said they all certainly seem to be vegetarian...but they weren't labeled, so how could we be sure? The number of items labeled as vegetarian is certainly smaller than the number of items that are actually vegetarian...and, as mentioned above, sometimes "V" items have meat anyway. They really should just label everything that is definitely vegetarian...even silly things like pancakes.

There were four pig heads in the Windjammer one lunch. Yes, I know you're serving pork next to them. No, I do not want to see that. Some folks were taking pictures, but I imagine vegetarians (like myself) did not appreciate it, and kids might not have either.

If they know the main vegetarian course is one of the most popular items anytime it is served, they need to make more. Non-veggie people have a tendency to eat vegetarian food if it's good. That's fine. But running out of the main vegetarian course? Not okay. I was told "oh that is popular with everyone, every time we have it" - so...why wouldn't you make more?! (This was in Windjammer, fortunately I was able to go downstairs and get some in the MDR by claiming we missed our seating.)

So, this is kind of a whiny post. Feel free to call me on it, I know I'm whining. (Yes, I put all this in the survey.) But I wanted other vegetarians to be able to find this info later. If you are vegetarian and you sail on Grandeur, you will not starve, but you are not particularly cared about. Examine all items with "V" symbols carefully.

End whine...happy sails, folks.

Edited by etoile

I believe the V stands for Vitality, their healthy menu, not vegetarian. I believe that's another symbol.

The wheat stalk indicates gluten free

The milk carton indicates lactose free

The V indicates vegetarian

And a triangular "thing" indicates a vitality dish.

Perhaps the staff need more training in why some of these labels are critical AND necessary.

My DD, who has celiacs, will be on the Grandeur in two weeks. I sincerely hope that they are better at labeling gluten free.

Interesting side note: I went onto RCCL's website to find their menus so I could check the above symbols. One of the items for a main course is a Sweet and Sour Premium Vegetarian Chicken Chunks with Jasmine Rice. It is marked with a V. In what universe is Chicken a vegetarian dish?

Edited by MS52

Perhaps the staff need more training in why some of these labels are critical AND necessary.

My DD, who has celiacs, will be on the Grandeur in two weeks. I sincerely hope that they are better at labeling gluten free.

You are spot on with the marks. The little triangle is Vitality. "V" is vegetarian.

And in your DD's case it is critical to her health that they get the marks right. I won't die if I have meat, I have simply chosen not to eat it. But for people with medical conditions, it is quite serious, and I think they just don't take the marks seriously enough.

Interesting side note: I went onto RCCL's website to find their menus so I could check the above symbols. One of the items for a main course is a Sweet and Sour Premium Vegetarian Chicken Chunks with Jasmine Rice. It is marked with a V. In what universe is Chicken a vegetarian dish?

Actually, that's the dish I was saying they ran out of! It is vegetarian - made with fake meat, created with soy. I loved it. And so did everyone else, apparently! In the Windjammer, it was not marked with a "V" - it just said Sweet and Sour Chicken Chunks (soy meat). I couldn't believe the bad labeling in that case. Maybe that's why people loved it so much...they didn't realize what soy meat was! In the MDR (where I had to go to actually get any) it was labeled with the "V" properly. But Windjammer clearly doesn't care about proper labeling...

Edit: Found the menu symbols in an image here: http://i40.tinypic.com/2jfwy81.jpg

Left to right: gluten free, lactose free, vegetarian, vitality

Edited by etoile

..... They really should just label everything that is definitely vegetarian...even silly things like pancakes. ........

There were four pig heads in the Windjammer one lunch. Yes, I know you're serving pork next to them. No, I do not want to see that. Some folks were taking pictures, but I imagine vegetarians (like myself) did not appreciate it, and kids might not ......

Pancakes - not all vegetarians think they are vegetarian because of being made with egg and/or milk - & I'm not talking about vegans, my sister is vegetarian but will not eat eggs.

The Pigs heads - I would have avoided looking at them, since they aren't my thing. I personally find the fruit carvings of the faces in the watermelons much freakier and would rather they get rid of those.

I am also vegetarian and have been for a long time. Some ships seem to cater for vegetarians better than others.

Earlier in the year I cruised on a ship that was using the green dot sticker system in the windjammer to denote vegetarian dishes. I recognised this system from travelling in India. Even soft drink have the green dot on the cans. It made life a lot easier as I could just serve myself quickly without holding the queue up looking for meat in the food.

On my last cruise on the Rhapsody I noticed in the dining room that some dishes had the V symbol next to it which were clearly not vegetarian.

Regards Elaine.

......and the scale indicates a belly buster,fat laden porker dish.......:D

The "Vegetarian Chicken Chunks" are actually vegetarian, made with seitan, I believe. They were also not very appetizing, in this vegetarian's opinion.

I wonder if the people in charge of signage have gotten confused between the symbols? They definitely need to be reminded of the importance of correct signage!

Last thing I need is to get sick and maybe quarantined for fear of a virus, when it's just being ill because I've eaten something my body hasn't encountered since I was a teenager!

Pancakes - not all vegetarians think they are vegetarian because of being made with egg and/or milk - & I'm not talking about vegans, my sister is vegetarian but will not eat eggs.

She's not the typical vegetarian. Most vegetarians are ovo-lacto. If you go beyond that, that's working towards veganism. Me, personally, I'd rather give up dairy than eggs!

Actually, that's the dish I was saying they ran out of! It is vegetarian - made with fake meat, created with soy. I loved it. And so did everyone else, apparently! In the Windjammer, it was not marked with a "V" - it just said Sweet and Sour Chicken Chunks (soy meat). I couldn't believe the bad labeling in that case. Maybe that's why people loved it so much...they didn't realize what soy meat was! In the MDR (where I had to go to actually get any) it was labeled with the "V" properly. But Windjammer clearly doesn't care about proper labeling...

That sounds delish. Hope Freedom has it!

Just got off the Grandeur a couple of days ago. I have been a vegetarian since 1993 and this was not my first cruise...but I have never had so many problems with the food. Rant ahead!

• My wife (not a vegetarian) saw Vegetable Fajitas with a "V" on them, and she tried them...they had fish.
  • I saw something labeled "Indian Dal Gosh" with a "V" on it, so I went to take some...it had giant pieces of meat. I asked one of the senior Windjammer crew about it - a guy from India himself - and he said "oh, Gosh means it has meat." How am I supposed to know that, especially if it has a "V" on it?
  • Chicken corn soup had a "V" on it. I picked up the label, found somebody, and said "chicken soup isn't vegetarian." He said "no, it sure isn't" and went to fix it.

Both MDR and Windjammer also failed to label items that were unclear as to whether they were vegetarian. Jalapeno potato soup, Brie and spinach phyllo puffs, Corn chowder...all of these can be vegetarian, but aren't necessarily. So my wife tried them, and said they all certainly seem to be vegetarian...but they weren't labeled, so how could we be sure? The number of items labeled as vegetarian is certainly smaller than the number of items that are actually vegetarian...and, as mentioned above, sometimes "V" items have meat anyway. They really should just label everything that is definitely vegetarian...even silly things like pancakes.

There were four pig heads in the Windjammer one lunch. Yes, I know you're serving pork next to them. No, I do not want to see that. Some folks were taking pictures, but I imagine vegetarians (like myself) did not appreciate it, and kids might not have either.

If they know the main vegetarian course is one of the most popular items anytime it is served, they need to make more. Non-veggie people have a tendency to eat vegetarian food if it's good. That's fine. But running out of the main vegetarian course? Not okay. I was told "oh that is popular with everyone, every time we have it" - so...why wouldn't you make more?! (This was in Windjammer, fortunately I was able to go downstairs and get some in the MDR by claiming we missed our seating.)

So, this is kind of a whiny post. Feel free to call me on it, I know I'm whining. (Yes, I put all this in the survey.) But I wanted other vegetarians to be able to find this info later. If you are vegetarian and you sail on Grandeur, you will not starve, but you are not particularly cared about. Examine all items with "V" symbols carefully.

Completely understand, try the contact us section on the RCCL site.

The "Vegetarian Chicken Chunks" are actually vegetarian, made with seitan, I believe. They were also not very appetizing, in this vegetarian's opinion.

Ah now that you mention it, they probably were seitan. I had been thinking wheat gluten. It was my favorite meal on board besides Izumi, but everybody has different tastes!

Thanks everyone for your support. One other thing I noted was that they were completely unprepared for me in Chops, but I didn't warn them in advance at all, so that's partly on me. It would be nice if they had some standby offering for vegetarians, rather than needing notice, but I guess they figure most vegetarians wouldn't walk in, even with their families.

Ah now that you mention it, they probably were seitan. I had been thinking wheat gluten. It was my favorite meal on board besides Izumi, but everybody has different tastes!

Thanks everyone for your support. One other thing I noted was that they were completely unprepared for me in Chops, but I didn't warn them in advance at all, so that's partly on me. It would be nice if they had some standby offering for vegetarians, rather than needing notice, but I guess they figure most vegetarians wouldn't walk in, even with their families.

Just a question.... Why would a vegetarian go to a steak house type dining and expect a large vegan menu? I would never expect to go to a vegan dining joint and expect a T-bone steak on the menu and if not get exercised over the fact.....it just baffles my senses .....:confused:

Just a question.... Why would a vegetarian go to a steak house type dining and expect a large vegan menu? I would never expect to go to a vegan dining joint and expect a T-bone steak on the menu and if not get exercised over the fact.....it just baffles my senses .....:confused:

I don't expect "a large vegan menu" (and I am not vegan), but a single item, such as pasta (which they ended up serving me), would be nice. Just something they have as an automatic answer for the question "do you have anything for a vegetarian?" Their answer to the question was "ummm" instead of "sure, how about some pasta." They managed it okay with no notice, and I applaud them for that.

But it would be nice if they could have one item listed on the menu, or at least have it as a ready answer, without having to have the manager and the chef come to the table. They were all very sweet, but it would be nice if it didn't seem like the first time they had been asked the question.

As for why I went, it's because the other three members of my party were not vegetarian, and they wanted to go. I can't imagine that's the first time something like that has happened, so why were they thrown by the request?

Edited by etoile

I don't expect "a large vegan menu" (and I am not vegan), but a single item, such as pasta (which they ended up serving me), would be nice. Just something they have as an automatic answer for the question "do you have anything for a vegetarian?" Their answer to the question was "ummm" instead of "sure, how about some pasta." They managed it okay with no notice, and I applaud them for that. But it would be nice if they could have one item listed on the menu, or at least have it as a ready answer, without having to have the manager and the chef come to the table. They were all very sweet, but it would be nice if it didn't seem like the first time they had been asked the question.

As for why I went, it's because the other three members of my party were not vegetarian, and they wanted to go. I can't imagine that's the first time something like that has happened, so why were they thrown by the request?

Just another question....would the same courtesy be paid to me in a vegan diner? :confused:

I have been a vegetarian for many years. I really miss the Indian dishes that they used to have on the menu each night in the main dining room!!

I find the windjammer hit or miss. Lately when I cruise, I have learned that if you ask someone behind the counter by the hamburgers to make you a veggi burger that they will. It takes awhile as they have to go to another kitchen to get the patty but to me it is worth the wait as sometimes that is the only appealing vegetarian choice that day.

There is always salad but sometimes you just want something heartier.

I went to Chops with my family - they eat meat - I don't. I TRIED to just order salad and side veggies but my waiter and the head waiter WOULD NOT HEAR OF IT. They INSISTED I order something from Portafino. I really wasn't that hungry but they wouldn't take no for an answer so I ordered a plate of pasta.

And yes, the person in charge of putting the V on the menu has NO clue what the V means.

Kathy

I don't expect "a large vegan menu" (and I am not vegan), but a single item, such as pasta (which they ended up serving me), would be nice. Just something they have as an automatic answer for the question "do you have anything for a vegetarian?" Their answer to the question was "ummm" instead of "sure, how about some pasta." They managed it okay with no notice, and I applaud them for that.

But it would be nice if they could have one item listed on the menu, or at least have it as a ready answer, without having to have the manager and the chef come to the table. They were all very sweet, but it would be nice if it didn't seem like the first time they had been asked the question.

Just another question....would the same courtesy be paid to me in a vegan diner? :confused:

Doubtful. The difference is, a steakhouse already has vegan items on the menu (like for side dishes). But a vegan diner most likely does not also have meat items on the menu.

Edited by time4u2go

If I were vegetarian I wouldn't be shocked at all by the ummm response when walking into a STEAKhouse. I would expect that same reaction if I walked into Vegetarian Palace and asked for a t-bone.

I would never in a million years think of saying to my sister - hey let's go to the steakhouse and eat. I would have suggested one of the other restaurants which caters to a larger range of food items.

I have been a vegetarian for many years. I really miss the Indian dishes that they used to have on the menu each night in the main dining room!!

On my last cruise on the Rhapsody I enquired if we would be having any Indian dishes in the dining room and was told no but they would cook some up for me if I wanted it. I ended up eating Indian food almost every night of the 16 night cruise. I didn't have to wait long for the food to arrive and I think after the first few times they might have had something prepared already. I really appreciated this extra service from the waiter.

Regards Elaine.

we just got off from a B2B on Grandeur, overall had an excellent cruise, but your issue with vegetarian is very similar to a story we heard the last night of our first week with regards to someone who is Gluten free and Dairy Free. She said it wasn't until the Sous Chef in the windjammer overheard her voicing her concern to one of the head waiters about something being labelled gluten free and it obviously wasn't (I forget exactly what it was, but it could have been the BREADED and deep fried pork) that she started to get better options for lunch including a freshly made dairy and gluten free pizza. Then on our 2nd to last sea day when she took the galley tour and spotted a box of gluten free pasta that she had no idea she could have it.

A couple of years ago at dinner we were seated with someone who was gluten free, and each evening they brought around the next nights menu, offered other things they could make for her. When I was telling the guest we met this year about that she said no matter how many times she kept telling them she was gluten free the best they could do was advise her of the special indicators on the menu items that label things as gluten free.

It is amazing how such important things like vegetarian and food allergies can be handled from one to ship to another.