FLL water taxi and physically challenged guests

phoenix_dream

We are going to be staying at a hotel on the route for the Lauderdale water taxi. We are traveling with an elderly relative whose ability to walk any great distance (more than half a block at a time) or up/down more than a few stairs is limited. We are hoping that along the water taxi route we can find a nice, moderately priced restaurant that she will be able to walk to from the taxi stop. Is anyone that familiar with the route that they can offer advice? We have taken the taxi once before and loved it, but at the time were not knowing about this challenge ahead of us so did not take note of ease of walking for the various restaurants. I know at some of the stops there was quite a bit of a walk so could not do those. But I seem to remember a few stops where there were restaurants very close. I know we can always regular taxi somewhere as we won't have a car, but I think she would also enjoy the touring aspect of the boat ride if we can work this out. Can anyone help? Thanks much

We are going to be staying at a hotel on the route for the Lauderdale water taxi. We are traveling with an elderly relative whose ability to walk any great distance (more than half a block at a time) or up/down more than a few stairs is limited. We are hoping that along the water taxi route we can find a nice, moderately priced restaurant that she will be able to walk to from the taxi stop. Is anyone that familiar with the route that they can offer advice? We have taken the taxi once before and loved it, but at the time were not knowing about this challenge ahead of us so did not take note of ease of walking for the various restaurants. I know at some of the stops there was quite a bit of a walk so could not do those. But I seem to remember a few stops where there were restaurants very close. I know we can always regular taxi somewhere as we won't have a car, but I think she would also enjoy the touring aspect of the boat ride if we can work this out. Can anyone help? Thanks much

There are stops at Bahia Cabana and 15th Street Fisheries. With mobility issues, I might go for the 15th Street Fisheries stop.

The 9th Street/Las Olas stop is two very flat blocks from Mangos. The Downtowner stop may work for you also.

Speak to your captain as soon as you get aboard.

I don't know when you are traveling but so many of the homes are lit up for Christmas (the lights are on the water and not on the street side so they are only able to be seen by water) so try and make it a point to stay out after five.

We were out until about seven Christmas day and it was magnificent!

We did the water taxi the first week of December with my mom who also cannot do distances. We took a wheel chair with us and folded it when entering the water taxi and then using it when we got off.

However, I agree there are several places that it stops right at the doors of the restaurants.

Shooters is closed right now for remodeling, had to go around the place next door. Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but we walked right thru the middle of it when getting off. That would be something very easy.

15th st is a great place and then the Briny Irish pub looks good. Very close, only had a drink there but assume the food would be good

Thanks again for the information. Unfortunately, our aunt is just too proud (or stubborn, or both) to use a wheelchair. It would make life so much easier. It's a shame - she misses too much this way. Onboard, she misses all the evening shows because it is too much for her to walk from the back of the ship where the dining is, to the front where the theater is. I know one shouldn't judge until one has walked in the other's shoes as the saying goes, but I wish for both her sake and ours she would bite the bullet and rent the chair. Oh well. If these are the only problems I have I am a lucky person!

Just went on the water taxi with my sister in the beginning of December and LOVED it. She had a knee brace on and was also unable to walk too far without feeling some pain.

One of the stops is #10 labeled as 'Shooters'. Other poster is correct that Shooters is closed but walk just about 15 feet and you are at 'Flipflops' bar and grill. Tasty grilled fish, burgers looked good and very icy cold beer.

Hope that works for you, we had a great time there:)

Just went on the water taxi with my sister in the beginning of December and LOVED it. She had a knee brace on and was also unable to walk too far without feeling some pain.

One of the stops is #10 labeled as 'Shooters'. Other poster is correct that Shooters is closed but walk just about 15 feet and you are at 'Flipflops' bar and grill. Tasty grilled fish, burgers looked good and very icy cold beer.

Hope that works for you, we had a great time there:)

Sounds great to me! Wondering if you have any idea if Shooters will be open by March? If not sounds like FlipFlops is another nice option.

Keep working on getting your aunt a transport chair. Super easy and light. My mom never graduated to a fullsize wheel chair. She didn't even use the foot rests on the treansport chair. She held her feet up. I think because it made her feel less "handicapped".

According to their website, they are opening in FEBRUARY 2014. Does not give an exact date but they sure were working on it.

Have a great trip!

They are a ways from opening. They were supposed to be open by December. We went by there on the boat the other day and they were a long ways off.