Does "Hygiene" in your own cabin really help?

When aboard a ship, we try to practice good hygiene. However, we're not obsessive/compulsive about it. We do try to be aware, but most fellow passengers are also concerned about germs. The one's we worry about are those from other cultures that might not follow the same hygienic practices that we do in our culture.

What do we do?

1. First off, we wash our hands - a lot. And we try not to use our fingers to touch/rub our eyes, our nose, or our mouth (that's how most germs are passed).

2. When we're on the buffet line:

I always take food that's not exposed. Why? I've seen too many people place the tongs, either all the way, or most of the way, into the food tray. That means the part of the handle that people have touched came in contact with the food, and the food could be/probably is, contaminated.

(On a recent cruise, I was in the buffet area when I heard something drop to the floor. A woman passenger had dropped one of the serving tongs to a food tray. As I watched, she picked it up off the floor, and placed it back in front of the serving tray. At first I was shocked, how could this lady do that? Then I went over and grabbed the tongs, brought them back to one of the food workers and told them what the woman had did. The worker shook his head and gave me a new set of tongs for that tray.)

For Bread, Rolls, or other Food that's easy to just pick up with your fingers - since most people who practice the finger grabbing method will take from the front, for these kinds of foods, I try to pick from an untouched area - mostly the middle area. But if I see a few people hand-pick, then I'll either pass, or tell one of the workers what people have been doing. Usually then they take the tray back to the kitchen (and hopefully dump it).

I never use the Ice/Water dispensers. Why? Even though they have a prominent sign posted that they are not to be used to fill personal containers (because of health issues), I have seen too many passengers filling up their bottles, containers, and bottle-bags, by placing the bottle/container's opening right up to the top of the dispenser, so the dispenser's tip is INSIDE THEIR BOTTLE. I've seen this over and over, especially on Port days when people want to bring water ashore.

As for the sanitizer liquid stations - I don't like to use them. It's a chemical, and I don't like to place chemicals on my hands. Plus, as long as one person who hasn't washed, goes through the line, touching everything, then when you touch those tongs, your hands will be contaminated anyway. So, the best time to clean your hands is right before you eat, AFTER you've gone through the Buffet Line. Either that, or don't use your fingers to eat any of your food.

That said - here's a way to check your cabin for Biologicals left by prior passengers - - >>>

Next time you go on a Cruise - bring along one of those portable Black Light fixtures. Either a small battery one, or a small electric one (but if you have an electric one, you'll need an extension cord).

To check for biologicals, (they will show up as bright spots under a black light), turn on the black light and turn off all the cabin lights, and then use the Black Light to examine the bed - the pillows, blankets, sheets, etc. All those items should be spotless, that is if the Cabin Steward placed clean sheets on your bed.

But sometimes. they don't always wash the blankets; instead they wrap them in clean sheets But tell me, how many of you do touch your blankets, because when you sleep, the cover sheets always come off, right?

You can also check the area around the bed for bright spots, check the room's carpet too. You never know what you'll find.

Then shine the black light on the sofa, chair, and desk chair - anything used for sitting. These items aren't cleaned, well usually cleaned by Cabin Stewards unless they're really filthy/dirty.

When examining the Sofa or chair, don't be surprised if you see multiple spots from past sexcapades. :eek:

Next, go into your cabin's bathroom. Shine the black light on the wall directly next to the toilet. Again, if the Cabin Steward doesn't normally wash the walls, don't be surprised if you see something that looks like a fireworks display on the wall. That's from urine being splashed up from the toilet. Yep, it's gross.

Now, if you find your bathroom wall like this under the black light- looking like a firework's rocket exploded, ask your Cabin Steward to wash down the wall(s). If he looks at you odd, just tell him you always wash the wall next to your toilet at home, and explain about splashes - they'll understand, and they might add that routine to their cleaning regimen.

Note: I recently sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas - 12/14/13 sailing. I had cabin 3606, an accessible cabin. After we checked in I noticed a strange stain/imprint on the edge of one of the room's sofa cushions. It appeared that a male, (probably a passenger on a previous cruise) had taken a shower, spread body lotion on themselves (covering their entire body, including their lower private parts), and then sat on the edge of the sofa.

Why do I say that? Well, at the edge of the sofa there was an imprint of a butt, and in the middle of that imprint one could see another irregularly rounded imprint, and inside of that, another imprint of two (almost) side by side longitudinal ovals.

Sort of like this: ( -----(0O)----- )

Yes, it was an imprint of a stranger's butt, bag, and balls. :eek: Kind of gross, right?

When next I saw the cabin steward I pointed out the stain and asked that it be cleaned, and that if it couldn't be cleaned that the sofa be replaced. The next day, the sofa was clean - no more butt print was present.

please tell us you are kidding :rolleyes:

I did not read all the replies, but when I discovered the stink in the cabin was coming from my kids tennis shoes one night, I was REALLY glad I had the small Lysol can with me. Spraying the kids shoes everynight was a lifesaver.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

*LOL* I hear when their kids hang clothes on wire hangers , it really gets ugly :)

NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!

th?id=H.4657090111603431&w=192&h=173&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Must have learned the black light trick from a former poster who is no longer around.:p

Edited by iheartbda

I've already purchased mini-bottles of Lysol spray, and anti-bacterial wipes for the door knobs, remote controls, drawer pulls, etc., but honestly, does it really make a difference? A cabin attendant comes in/out of your cabin every day (having been in other cabins), so wouldn't you have to wipe down everything in your cabin each day?

I'm only asking because obviously when you're out of your cabin in other areas of the ship you're exposed to hygiene issues outside of your control. I told my doctor I'm going on a cruise in January and she said on doors that can be pushed open (corridor doors), use your arm or elbow (not your hand) to open them, and to use your knuckle instead of your finger tips to push elevator buttons, and to try to keep your hands away from your face as much as possible (to reduce the chance of germs getting near your mouth, nose, eyes).

I know RCI has antibacterial gel stations around the ship, but just like in hospitals, how many people really remember to use them (I do, but see many people ignore them).

Best thing is to wash your feet frequently, especially after eating, and make sure no pizza gets stuck between your toes;)

Those antibacterial gels are a very small part of keeping yourself healthy, in my opinion. I use them returning to the ship and before heading to the windjammer, but otherwise I avoid them.

What does seem to benefit my family is wiping down the room when we first arrive, primarily to help with allergies. Just a quick wipe on the first day seems to help.

Bingo, finally someone else on here with some common sense. You are exactly right, you´d have to do it everytime the cabin attendant served your cabin.

BTW as you are talking antibacterial wipes. Stuff like NORO is a Virus and anything antibacterial won´t work anyway.

Lysol and Bleach can can both kill viruses, but specifically NORO I'm not sure about.

The smarter thing to do would be to wash your hands before you even touch the doorknob to your cabin so you don't contaminate it! :D

I think the lazy attitude toward hygiene expressed by many in this thread is the reason Noro is such a problem. I'll continue to bring my Lysol thanks very much.

Noro is a "problem" because people don't wash their hands, not because they don't spray every possible surface with Lysol. Also, Noro is much more common on land than on cruise ships. Do you spray every surface you come into contact every day, all day?

Also, the poster who said the gels are an important part of keeping yourself healthy, really? Whatever did you do before they became all the rage?

Actually stress lowers immune function. Including presumably stress about getting sick. This is probably why those who worry the most seem to get sick the most also.

I don't worry and never get sick. I use sanitizer after bathroom and before eating, but otherwise no special precautions.

Does anyone know how you specifically catch the Noro virus (or any gastrointestinal virus)?

You have to INJEST what came out of an infected person. YUP. GROSS.

So basically the ONLY thing that will help is washing your hands and not touching your face.

(My sister in law is an emerg nurse. She told me this once and I was extremely grossed out since we were at a family dinner lol)

Clean items are a good thing....but germs are everywhere and many of them are airborne, so cleaning surfaces won't help prevent coming down with something if you inhale an airborne germ/bacteria.

If I found my cabin wasn't clean or clean enough -- I would find a housekeeping supervisor to discuss the issue with.

Yes, Science class 101 did teach me that germs are airborne. Got it!

Yes, germs are everywhere!

No, cleaning things does help. A little bit goes a long way!

Yesterday, 09:37 PM

exactly.. just use common sense and wash your hands on a regular schedule.

Dah Sherlock........just wash your hands, ok?!

Dah.. how about you pull your head from where the sun ain't shining and learn to read.. ok?

Edited by Sherlock43031

Does anyone know how you specifically catch the Noro virus (or any gastrointestinal virus)?

You have to INJEST what came out of an infected person. YUP. GROSS.

So basically the ONLY thing that will help is washing your hands and not touching your face.

(My sister in law is an emerg nurse. She told me this once and I was extremely grossed out since we were at a family dinner lol)

This is only partially true...simply ingesting the virus does not mean you will get sick. If you have regular exposure to it, then your immune system will get rid of the virus.

Norovirus is especially problematic, because immunity quickly wears off if you are not regularly exposed to it. So those that live in a bubble of lysol and purell are especially susceptible to even the smallest amounts of virus, which can make them sick.

When the virus strikes a ship, it's those with a weak immunity to the virus that get sick. Those that are healthy, through exposure, will not have a problem.

Yikes..you folks are skeering this first time cruiser.

I may just go, lock the door and not come out for 7 nights.

And then only wearing my personal protective equipment: gloves, gown and a mask until I get back to the safety of our minivan.

Quarantined Cruising......LOL.

But, I'm pretty adventurous.

I might touch a siderail.

Or get totally wild and touch the mens room door with my bare hand.

Yeup...I'm risky like that.

:D

we bring 6 packets of alcohol swabs and first thing we do is wipe down the light switches, TV remote, hair dryer, the phone and door handles.

Wash your hands more often because you're in such a public arena. When washing count to 30 or sing the ABC or Happy Birthday song while washing.

Use a paper towel to open the door when leaving the public bathrooms. Unbelievable the number of folks who don't wash their hands.

Use your key card or knuckle to press the buttons on the elevators.

Knock on wood - 11 cruises and we haven't been sick.

Ummmm, the newbie needs to ask a serious question here:

Is there some reason to be more sterile onboard a cruise ship than you would out in the general public?*

In a hotel? Restaurant? Bar? Public restroom? (Touchless systems are totally and completely stupid and useless unless a bathroom attendant is standing there MAKING every single person wash their hands)

Why all of this germalarm on a boat I'm reading about here?

Some of the posters here go to major extremes that if they did all of that cleaning in a restaurant, they'd miss their meal.

Just wondering if there is something I didn't know about catching something on cruises.

Thanks,

Mark

*The cruise where there had to use red bags for human excrement would have been an exceptional case and I understand extra sanitary measures.

Is there some reason to be more sterile onboard a cruise ship than you would out in the general public?*

In a hotel? Restaurant? Bar? Public restroom? (Touchless systems are totally and completely stupid and useless unless a bathroom attendant is standing there MAKING every single person wash their hands)

Some of the posters here go to major extremes that if they did all of that cleaning in a restaurant, they'd miss their meal.

Just wondering if there is something I didn't know about catching something on cruises.

Thanks,

Mark

*The cruise where there had to use red bags for human excrement would have been an exceptional case and I understand extra sanitary measures.

No reason at all. You're more likely to get sick at work than you are on a cruise ship.

Edited by BND

Thanks,

Mark

Nope. You're not missing anything.

Unfortunately, 5000 people on a cruise ship with a Noro outbreak makes CNN; 300 in a Midtown Manhattan hotel (my one and only experience, thank you) doesn't.

Nope. You're not missing anything.

Unfortunately, 5000 people on a cruise ship with a Noro outbreak makes CNN; 300 in a Midtown Manhattan hotel (my one and only experience, thank you) doesn't.

Funny thing is, an "outbreak" usually consists of a very small percentage of those onboard. In general it's most definitely less than 10% and a lot of times, it's no more than 5%. More people than that are sick everyday in the population as a whole. If 5-10% of an office is sick, people just say "something's going around". On a ship, people overreact and look to blame someone.