What to do in Vila??

We are going back to Vila for our 4 or 5 time now on our next cruise :).

When we have been to Vila, in the morning, we go duty free shopping (At Fung Kuei) :D and have a look around then in the afternoon we do a ship tours (Most off the time).

This time around the tours Princess are offering in Vila are just too costly for us (Some off the tours are $75 -$160 AUD per person!! :eek: :rolleyes:).

When you go to Vila, what do you do?? :)

Has anyone done any private tours in Vila??, anything you would recommend?

Has anyone been to Iririki Island or one off the other resorts by them self??,

Where they happy for you to go there??,

How did you get there??, did you have to pay to get in?

Also I have seen photos of a lookout that looks over the ship, if you have seen the photos I am talking about, you will know what I mean :), Does anyone know how to get up there?

The resorts like Iririki and Erakor Island are happy to have you visit but they obviously would like you to buy a drink or a meal. You can use their beach or pool and eat at restaurant. To go to the lookout just ask one of the drivers at the port how much to take you there. As long as there is a B on the number plate cos that means its a legitimate bus. Or T if you want a taxi! My favourite place to go is Hideaway island but that's because I love to snorkel and it is a great place for that. Nice cafe and bar there right on the beach. There is a charge for visiting Hideaway but it is only something like $10.

Cruising out of sunny Tauranga, NZ

I think one of the best places to visit in Vila is the Mele Cascades - absolutely magical. Everyone walks away with a smile on their face.:)

You can go by taxi. It a bit over half an hour's drive from the wharf and there is an entry fee of AUD$20 (last time I was there). Ask the taxi driver to wait and pay at the end of the trip. If you pay for the first part of the journey, when you negotiate to go back to the ship, the price will be much higher. For a trip to the Cascades, with the driver waiting, should cost around AUD$60 regardless of the number of people in the taxi. Drivers often try the "per person" stunt but don't fall for it.

I suggest going to the Cascades first thing - take your swimmers and wear waterproof footwear as you have to walk through a very shallow stream to get to the Cascades. There are toilets and basic small change room at the entry station to the Cascades. You could also ask the driver to show you a local village on your way to the Cascades. The walk to the Cascades takes around 25 minutes each way. Count on spending at least an hour at the waterfalls.

I suggest then asking the driver to drop you at Fung Kuei where you can do your shopping and wander along the main street, having a look at the waterfront markets. It is easy to get a taxi back to the ship for AUD$10.

My favourite place to go is Hideaway island but that's because I love to snorkel and it is a great place for that.

hmmmm, that might sound like a place for us, as we also like to snorkel.

Can I ask how did you get there?

Cruising out of sunny Tauranga, NZ

Another Kiwi :D :)

Taxi. Maybe arrange to have him come back at a particular time to pick you up. This isn't as far out of town as the Mele Cascades so you shouldn't have any trouble getting back to town. :)

We get a bus (really just a can with a B on number plate) as we have found that cheaper if there are more than two of us. Either ask them to come back at a particular time or just take pot luck. The office at hideaway island will call for a bus for u. But they will be there regularly too. You could do this and Cascades if you wanted to hire a bus for the day - depends how long you want to snorkel. If they are doing glass bottom boat trip at hideaway see if they will go over close to Devils Point Rd. some of the best coral I have ever seen is out the front of the Rockpools resort.

Jenny - Cruising out of sunny Tauranga, NZ

Hide away is nice, but there's better snorkelling to be had. Jump on board a snorkel charter much better value. The only thing I liked about hide away was the under water post office :)

Cascades were gorgeous, that's probably my favourite. If you go into town there is a free boat over to Irriricki if that floats your boat, no point snorkelling there though.

We are going back to Vila for our 4 or 5 time now on our next cruise :).

When we have been to Vila, in the morning, we go duty free shopping (At Fung Kuei) :D and have a look around then in the afternoon we do a ship tours (Most off the time).

This time around the tours Princess are offering in Vila are just too costly for us (Some off the tours are $75 -$160 AUD per person!! :eek: :rolleyes:).

When you go to Vila, what do you do?? :)

Has anyone done any private tours in Vila??, anything you would recommend?

Has anyone been to Iririki Island or one off the other resorts by them self??,

Where they happy for you to go there??,

How did you get there??, did you have to pay to get in?

Also I have seen photos of a lookout that looks over the ship, if you have seen the photos I am talking about, you will know what I mean :), Does anyone know how to get up there?

There are quite few tour operators here in Vila and they will happily arrange private tours for you and they have tours tailored for cruise ship hours.

Evergreen is one of the largest. Melanesian. Vanuatu Ecotours. Atmosphere. I can't list them all, just google and I'm sure they will all come up.

If you have already done Cascades, try for a tour to Lololima Falls for something different.

I think the lookout might be Summit Gardens? There are tours that go there or you may be able to catch a bus.

Getting to Hideaway is easy, grab a bus and you shouldn't pay more than 500vt pp each way. There is a fee of $15 when you get to Hideaway for use of the island facilities (chairs, toilets). You can hire snorkel gear for 500vt pp, do a glass bottomed boat tour (was 1000vt last time I looked), go on a snorkeling safari (again about 1000vt) or just hand feed the fish off the shore.

If you want to go to Iririki you buy tickets for the boat on the waterfront near the Grand Hotel, they are 1500vt but the ticket is then redeemable for 1500vt of food and drink on the island. Ask for directions to Snorkelers Cove for some snorkeling. If you don't have gear there is a little hut there that will hire them to you (sorry don't know price).

I love getting a massage on holidays but find the cruise spa prices a bit too high. In town there are a few places that do Thai massage and it's very cheap. I recommend the one a few doors down from the Brewery, across the road from the Grand. One hour for 2500vt, two hours for 4500vt. If you haven't had a Thai massage before I liken it to a cross between a massage, a workout and a beating but you walk away feeling great!

This time in Port Vila we are planning to spend the morning at Hideaway island snorkelling then we have booked a Zego tour in the afternoon. This should be great fun and I think we go around where the ship is docked.

We did a private tour with Atmosphere Tours and that was great. We went around the island and had lunch at a resort. Went to a village and a turtle sanctuary. On the way back they stopped at the shops for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Irrirriki Island is beautiful. For a family of 4 is was $35 to go across on the ferry BUT that $35 then is used as a credit to buy lunch at the bar, so a really inexpensive day out. There is snorkelling there which was really nice and a great pool to relax in the afternoon. The day we went there was a total of 7 people from the cruise...and 3 of those were staff! We saw maybe 20 people in total! Great tyre swing over the water as well! To get there there is a little hut in a car park and that is where you pay and get the boat across. Let me know if you want more info or photos!

But like everyone else, Cascades and Hideaway are a must!