Motion

swom

OK, I can't remember, do you get more motion closer to the water or up high? I think I remember it being less motion up high and more closer to the water, but not sure, so I come to the all mighty wise ones. :)

Thanks!

They say it's worst the farther from center you go. The most stable place would then be at sea level smack dab in the center of the ship. The worst will be top deck.

Just hold a pencil in your hand pointing straight up and wiggle it back and forth and you'll see why. Your fingers are the sea, and the top is the top of the ship. The swinging end of the pencil covers much more territory than the part right by your fingers.

The bow and stern can also get more action, but it's really going to count on which way the ship is heading in relation to the direction of the wind and waves AND on how enthusiastic those winds and waves are.....

and I'm sure someone who actually knows what he/she is talking about will chime in soon!

The bow and stern get almost the same pitching (up/down) movement no matter what deck you are on, but the rolling (side to side) is much worse the higher you are, like an inverted pendulum. (Actually the pitching is a little worse higher up also.) So, the worst place is high and far forward or aft, and the best is low and central.

Edited by catl331

On many in the middle close to the sea is best. Some ships they have moved the center of gravity farther back towards the stern where most of the machinery is located . We had a cabin in the stern on a Pacific crossing and we could sea the bow lifting a lot. Walked to the bow and felt more movement then our stern cabin.