Tour options to Rotorua

sofmall

Just wondering if anyone who has visited Tauranga can advise on tours? We'll be there in March and are wanting to visit the Rotorua area... tossing up between renting a car or booking a tour independently, not through the ship.

The Rotorua tours I've been browsing online all seem to cost about $148 - $160 per person. (Considering Jim Archer's tours, CruiseTauranga and Amazing Day Tours). I read a mention on Trip Advisor of tour operators being at the dock, someone even said they got a wonderful day tour, from an operator waiting at the dock, for $90 which is a lot cheaper than what I can book in advance. So we thought perhaps waiting and grabbing a tour there might be cheaper than pre-booking one.

Our other option is exploring the Mt Manganui area, for which we won't need a tour. But since we've never visited Rotorua this does seem a good opportunity.

Any advice, please?

There are Tour Information Offices at nearly every port in NZ or one near by to arrange tours. I visited Tauranga twice on a B2B. So I have explored the Mt Manganui area and Rotorua. Rotorua has more to see with it's hot mud pots and stops to see Kiwi (the bird and the fruit). I booked from the Tour Information Office and had a interesting tour.

At Mount Maunganui you can walk around the old dormant volcano Mauao or up it to see the views. There is a nice beach and a nice town swimming pool at the base of Mauao. Mount Maunganui in a nice beach town with many shops.

Enjoy your time in New Zealand.

Thank you for the information. I think we'll definitely plan on going to Rotorua this time, though I would also be content to simply stay in the Mount Manganui area... sounds relaxing as at the moment (exhaustion post Christmas) I need to chill.

So there is every chance we'll pick up Rotorua tours at the port upon arrival? On other cruises we've disembarked and often found heaps of options for tours from the operators waiting at the dock. Seems that would be the case too at Tauranga?

Thank you for the information. I think we'll definitely plan on going to Rotorua this time, though I would also be content to simply stay in the Mount Manganui area... sounds relaxing as at the moment (exhaustion post Christmas) I need to chill.

So there is every chance we'll pick up Rotorua tours at the port upon arrival? On other cruises we've disembarked and often found heaps of options for tours from the operators waiting at the dock. Seems that would be the case too at Tauranga?

BBM

Have been searching on CC since the middle of August, and my notes culled from this searching indicate Cruise Tauranga would be a viable contact. If you need more information, please post again (be patient because I can't access CC every day).

Just wondering if anyone who has visited Tauranga can advise on tours? We'll be there in March and are wanting to visit the Rotorua area... tossing up between renting a car or booking a tour independently, not through the ship.

The Rotorua tours I've been browsing online all seem to cost about $148 - $160 per person. (Considering Jim Archer's tours, CruiseTauranga and Amazing Day Tours).

Any advice, please?

We we in Tauranga in February 2013 and we used Cruise Tauranga/Learning Journeys. We had a fantastic tour and highly recommend them.

We did their Classic Rotorua Tour to Wai-O-Tapu (NZ$110 per person - 4 couples from the Roll Call in a large van) with additional stops (Kiwi 360, lunch at Lakeside Cafe, beaches)... in addition to Wai-O-Tapu (which is absolutely amazing), we really enjoyed visiting Hamurana Springs and the 'young' Redwood grove nearby.

We had an excellent and very knowledgeable driver/guide.

We we in Tauranga in February 2013 and we used Cruise Tauranga/Learning Journeys. We had a fantastic tour and highly recommend them.

We did their Classic Rotorua Tour to Wai-O-Tapu (NZ$110 per person - 4 couples from the Roll Call in a large van) with additional stops (Kiwi 360, lunch at Lakeside Cafe, beaches)... in addition to Wai-O-Tapu (which is absolutely amazing), we really enjoyed visiting Hamurana Springs and the 'young' Redwood grove nearby.

We had an excellent and very knowledgeable driver/guide.

I was looking at that tour - presuming its the one on their website that they call the "Rotorua Geyser Tour (our Classic Tour)". The price now quoted there is NZ$148.

I was looking at that tour - presuming its the one on their website that they call the "Rotorua Geyser Tour (our Classic Tour)". The price now quoted there is NZ$148.

It looks like the "Rotorua Geyser Tour" goes to Te Puia, not to Wai-O-Tapu.

If my memory is correct, Learning Journeys offered two 'Classic' options when we contacted them... one was to Wai-O-Tapu (our choice) and another to Te Puia. Suggest checking with Simon via email.

Attached is a PDF of the tour we did 24 February 2013.

Classic Rotorua Tour Wai-o-Tapu.pdf

Kia ora,

If from the wharf, you are picking up a private tour to Rotorua I suggest you check that the guide is a LOCAL, what his qualifications/experience are and if the Company has NZ Qualmark accreditation, is Department of Conservation approved and how versed in Maori culture & tikanga he is. Checking CC for experiences is a good source too. Eg.In a recent case I had a guide ask me where to find tourist attractions which would have been known by a local and in another case I was asked, presumably for the benefit of his passengers, if I was a member of a tribe which doesn't exist! (The tribe he was referring to was the name of the region).

Aquarians

If you are comfortable driving, I strongly suggest hiring a car. We have hired a car in Tauranga through Pegasus car hire. They collect you at the pier and take you back to their yard to do all the paper work. And then drop you back at the pier at the end of the day. They will give you a map and highlight the tourist places you want to visit.

Very reasonable rates too, so if you can get another couple to join you, it will work out even more cheaper.

Edited by Fletch1

If you are comfortable driving, I strongly suggest hiring a car. We have hired a car in Tauranga through Pegasus car hire. They collect you at the pier and take you back to their yard to do all the paper work. And then drop you back at the pier at the end of the day. They will give you a map and highlight the tourist places you want to visit.

Very reasonable rates too, so if you can get another couple to join you, it will work out even more cheaper.

Renting a car - I hadn't thought of that one. I think that's the option we'll take. Its good to have a recommendation so thank you... I'm googling Pegasus car rental now. It would give us flexibility to, so we could spend as long or short a time as we wanted at different places, instead of being locked in with a group.

Thanks Aquarians too for the excellent advice you gave. That makes a lot of sense yet I wouldn't have been aware of the questions to ask!

Renting a car - I hadn't thought of that one. I think that's the option we'll take. Its good to have a recommendation so thank you... I'm googling Pegasus car rental now. It would give us flexibility to, so we could spend as long or short a time as we wanted at different places, instead of being locked in with a group.

Thanks Aquarians too for the excellent advice you gave. That makes a lot of sense yet I wouldn't have been aware of the questions to ask!

We have used Pegasus twice before and plan to again at the end of the year. They are really great and do a cruise ship special . When you get off the port they have a man/woman with a sign who will show you to the shuttle( you may have a short wait if you miss it) and they take to do the paper work and then your on your way. At then end of the day they take you back to the port it is so easy. A tip for you would be to hire a GPS from them as well it was only and extra $NZ10 last time .:D

http://www.rentalcars.co.nz/tauranga-mt-maunganui/

Edited by Jasp 0401

We have used Pegasus twice before and plan to again at the end of the year. They are really great and do a cruise ship special . When you get off the port they have a man/woman with a sign who will show you to the shuttle( you may have a short wait if you miss it) and they take to do the paper work and then your on your way. At then end of the day they take you back to the port it is so easy. A tip for you would be to hire a GPS from them as well it was only and extra $NZ10 last time .:D

http://www.rentalcars.co.nz/tauranga-mt-maunganui/

Thanks for the advice on the GPS. We'll do that... we booked with Pegasus last week.

We just did Tauranga/Rotorua in late December. Simon and Michelle of Learning Journeys/Cruise Tauranga were wonderful. Easy to book/plan and gave us a fantastic day. Michelle was our guide/driver. Can't say enough great things about her.

We booked this tour online about 2 weeks before we arrived. Brad was at the port to meet us and the were only 4 of us in a very comfortable people carrier. The trip included the Kiwi Farm, Rotorua, and the Maori village however the best part of the tour was our friendly guide who had a great knowledge of the country and was very informative. He was happy to answer endless questions. We had a great day and can honestly say that this was the best tour on our cruise. We would highly recommend Homeland tours to anyone who wants a great experience in NZ.

We booked this tour online about 2 weeks before we arrived. Brad was at the port to meet us and the were only 4 of us in a very comfortable people carrier. The trip included the Kiwi Farm, Rotorua, and the Maori village however the best part of the tour was our friendly guide who had a great knowledge of the country and was very informative. He was happy to answer endless questions. We had a great day and can honestly say that this was the best tour on our cruise. We would highly recommend Homeland tours to anyone who wants a great experience in NZ.

That is so important and make such a difference.