HAL won't honor it's own sale prices!!!!!

Lulley766

[quote name='dippy']How about the comparison I made to resort vacations in the Caribbean which are more appropriate comparison to cruises than airline tickets which are for transportation purposes; why don't you use this comparison, doesn't fit your needs in this discussion???[/QUOTE]

Not at all an appropriate comparison. A ship has to sail on a specific date - the resort doesn't care if you show up on Sunday, Tuesday or Friday. Even so, there are always last minute deals on resorts too - at big reductions from what "early bookers" pay.

[quote name='dakrewser']Not at all an appropriate comparison. A ship has to sail on a specific date - the resort doesn't care if you show up on Sunday, Tuesday or Friday. Even so, there are always last minute deals on resorts too - at big reductions from what "early bookers" pay.[/QUOTE]

YES THEY DO IF YOU PURCHASE FROM A BROCHURE THAT LISTS SPECIFIC ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE DATE. I HOPE THIS CLEARS UP YOUR CONFUSION.

ENOUGH SAID; YOU ARE JUST NOT GETTING IT!!!!!!!

If an item goes on sale after I have bought it at the local store, I often take my receipt back and get a price adjustment. This is true of many stores. There is a time limit of usually one month. With Hal we have not recieved our item yet. I think there should be credit of some kind if asked.

[quote name='dakrewser']Au contraire, my dear Dippy. But there's no need to shout - it doesn't make your arguement any stronger![/QUOTE]

Duhkrewser,
I have been following this thread and notice the only one attacking anyone or shouting seems to be you.
You even said in an earlier post that all Lulley776 had to do was cancel and rebook. She said in an earlier post than yours that she had already made her final payment and was told it would cost more to cancel and rebook than to leave it the way it stood. Seeing her position that she is not alone in this with other people going with her unless she wants to dissappoint them she is stuck.
If you want to help instead of stir a pot, let's try to help by sending an E-mail to both her TA and HAL and let them look at the attention this thread is getting!!!
There...I said that without shouting!!!!:rolleyes:

[quote name='jessemon']Duhkrewser,
I have been following this thread and notice the only one attacking anyone or shouting seems to be you.
You even said in an earlier post that all Lulley776 had to do was cancel and rebook. She said in an earlier post than yours that she had already made her final payment and was told it would cost more to cancel and rebook than to leave it the way it stood. Seeing her position that she is not alone in this with other people going with her unless she wants to dissappoint them she is stuck.
If you want to help instead of stir a pot, let's try to help by sending an E-mail to both her TA and HAL and let them look at the attention this thread is getting!!!
There...I said that without shouting!!!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Now who's being insulting?

Please show me where I yelled at anyone - I'm not the one who posted in all caps.

And I'm certainly not going to email either the TA or HAL - both are doing their joa professional manner. Neither of them is after "something for nothing."

The OP can keep the excellent cabin she already has or re-book to get the better price. In an ideal world both would be possible, but it's not an ideal world.

I'd suggest folks stop whinging and whining about things that can't (and shouldn't) be changed and get on with their lives. I know I will.

After waiting a full week for the Supervisor of Guest Relations to call back, I called and left another message. No response. I then called the Manager of Guest Relations (is there really such a thing on HAL????). On Friday afternoon when I was out of my office, a HAL reservation agent called and told the receptionist at my firm that I had received the best price currently available which was checked by her supervisor. If I wanted to call back I could ask to speak to a supervisor!!!!!! Well, last time I checked, the courtesy was to speak to a person live, or leave a personal voicemail. HAL should not be disclosing private information on my booking to third parties. Let's not even mention the courtesy of a timely phone call, after waiting a full week. I am disgusted at this point. I have sailed their sister companies 9 or 10 times and feel the treatment I have received to date is discourteous and shoddy. There have been many people arguing back and forth on these boards whether I should even be asking for a refund. When situations like this have occurred on other lines, (and even airlines), the companies have been honorable and given the sale price. To those of you who say that cabin selection is important, well, yes it is. I don't think it's worth the value of $700 which is the amount in dispute at this time. Neither is dining seating worth that either. I am disappointed that HAL is shortsighted on this matter. They are chasing the short-dollars and not the long-term investment in my choosing their line in the future. For those of you not willing to ask for a refund, that is clearly your choice. Please respect my choice also to ask. HAL would not have a problem "asking" me for a fuel surcharge if oil prices go much higher. Therefore, I don't have a problem asking them for a rebate. That said, if anything else develops, I will continue to post. Thank you all for your thoughts and comments, they are appreciated (in most cases).

[quote]To those of you who say that cabin selection is important, well, yes it is. I don't think it's worth the value of $700 which is the amount in dispute at this time. Neither is dining seating worth that either. [/quote]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I've already stated that I feel HAL has no obligation to refund any money in this case as I don't feel you meet the terms of the offer. The offer is for new bookings only. [/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I just want to add that the above quote is another of those "In my opinion" or "In your opinion" matters. Having the exact cabin we want and absolutely having the dining selection we want is worth every penny of $700 TO US......I know it is not to everyon., FOR US, we are willing to pay that $700 as it makes a big influence as to our total enjoyment. DH literally would not make final payment on a cruise until he is assured we have the dining time we want.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS](Please let's not get into if one can afford something more than someone else can. We all make our own choices as to how to spend our own money. What is worth to me may not be worth it to Tom, Dick or Harry and vice versa.)[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Good Luck. I hope you become happier about looking forward to a wonderful cruise and put this aside. It would be a shame for you to not be able to enjoy your cruise because of stewing about this.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]JMHO.....[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I meant to add that I agree with you the HAL rep should not have left such a detailed message at your work number. They should have simply left a name and telephone number and maybe what would be a good time to reach them.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]It was not anyone in your office's business to be told that information.[/font][/b]

This is quite a thread. Lots of emotion on top of the various opinions. Guess I'd fall in the "it never hurts to ask" group and I would probably be disappointed that HAL didn't, out of good will, honor the reduced price. At the same time, I'd just write it off as one of those things that happens. Maybe it's just our luck or the cruises we pick but historically our cruises have gone up in price after we booked. Thank goodness the cruiselines didn't come back and ask for the difference! That's the nice thing about a booking being a contract but it cuts both ways in that I've promised to pay a certain amount for the line to provide me a cruise....we both have to honor the contract. Also have to second Sail7Seas' comment that cabin/category and dining. We too think this important and worth the extra but also understand that's not true for everybody. Right now we both work and can only cruise once a year so we go for the gusto and do everything we can to have the best vacation we can have. Oh....no way should HAL have talked to anybody but the client.....that's a complaint in and of itself.

[quote name='Lulley766']When situations like this have occurred on other lines, (and even airlines), the companies have been honorable and given the sale price.[/QUOTE] Not all circumstances and situations are the same in all cases. But when prices dropped significantly on tickets to Hawaii that I had just purchased less then two weeks before, the airline would not budge. I was not given so much as a partial credit or refund. And I had purchased 10 tickets for a family vacation, so it was significant money. I won't go into details, but basically they told me since I purchased the tix online that I had to live with what I paid. Those were the terms under which I made the purchase.

As Randy said, it never hurts to ask. But since I wasn't entitled to a refund I let it go and we had a wonderful vacation.

Hi everyone, As a travel agent I will do everything for my client. As for Hal they give me the commisions right away so they don't don't lose a thing if there is a fare sale. I'd in turn try to get Hal to give my clients an upgrade or onboard credit. They will do that for my client. Just ask the TA to call the sales office or reservation dept for HAL. Now I'm leaving on Jet Blue Airlines on Dec 3rd from LGA or NYC. and returning on Dec, 11 for a cruise from FLL. Jet Blue this weekend had a fare sale and I called them and I definitly got an $80.00 credit for my next flight. If Hal wanted to do this they could for you, but I know they won't give you the credit. The only problem that I have with Hal, is that I have to charge my clients for a Birthday Cake. They say they don't make them onboard, but I always pay for it myself and don't charge my clients. Again talk to your TA to get at least onboard credit. I hope that I helped you, George

Jhannah and Lulley766

I am not a frequent flyer but do most of my flying with American Airlines. AA always gives me a credit for a future flight if there is a price drop after purchase.

In the course of this thread, people are assuming Lulley766 got choice cabins because she booked early. As far as I know, this hasn't been stated by Lulley766. Actually, the assumption should be exactly the opposite - that, because of the price drop, current purchasers are getting better cabins at equal or less price than Lulley766 paid. Maybe, if Lulley766 had stated she booked early because she wanted specific cabins with big balconies,etc., then I would agree with those who say you can't have it both ways.

My daughter works in resevations with a major cruise line and she said she always advises her customers of price drops and provides credits. She also said that once you book with a travel agent, she is not allowed to communicate with the customer so HAL is correct about the third party communications policy.

My experience as a very frequent cruiser is that the cruise lines are sensitive to this situation. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that when all is said and done, HAL will offer Lulley some sort of accommodation.

Charge for a birthday cake on HAL?????????????????? When did this start? I have ordered them through my TA and myself while onboard, never, ever once was I ever charged, nor my TA. I have even asked if there was a charge, no, no charge.

[quote name='doublebzz']I am not a frequent flyer but do most of my flying with American Airlines. AA always gives me a credit for a future flight if there is a price drop after purchase.[/QUOTE]

Let's not confuse apples with oranges, here. WE aren't talking about a price drop" or a "price reduction". We're talking about a closeout sale of leftover inventory limited to new bookings only.

Doone: It's always been my experience that there was no charge for birthday cakes, either.

Lulley766: While I think it's tacky to ask for a refund in this instance, I don't disagree that you have the option to do so. But asking isn't the same as demanding - the person asked should always have the right to say "no." And as to "Well, last time I checked, the courtesy was to speak to a person live, or leave a personal voicemail..." you must be rather young, as voicemail is a relatively new phenomenon - while receptionists have been taking messages for people for many, many years.

[quote name='dakrewser']Let's not confuse apples with oranges, here. WE aren't talking about a price drop" or a "price reduction". We're talking about a closeout sale of leftover inventory limited to new bookings only.

[/QUOTE]

"if it looks like a duck, if it smells like a duck, if it quacks like a duck..."

[quote name='Lulley766']Holland America sent me an email this am telling me about the great new rates on late summer cruises. Well, I'm on one of the cruises that they mentioned. My TA called and asked about an adjustment or an upgrade because of the huge price difference for our 3 cabins. She got nowhere, because it's "new bookings only". I called and don't seem to be getting anywhere, either. It makes me angry to think that I am a long-time CCL cruiser and a first time HAL cruiser and no one seems to be valuing my business. Whatever happened to "goodwill"?

Does anyone have any suggestions or past experience with this? I know Carnival has immediately refunded the difference on bookings I made when the price went down, even when it said new bookings only. I can't imagine why HAL won't make a goodwill gesture.

Comments?????[/QUOTE]Lulley766 states that this was a "new bookings only" sale. If this is true HAL is [B]honoring[/B] their sale prices. I really don't see the problem when HAL is doing what they said would do.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]We've had a number of birthday and anniversary cakes on HAL throughout all the years. We were never charged for any of them.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Only once or twice was our TA involved in arranging them. Most of the time, we did so when we were aboard.[/font][/b]

I just wanted to weigh in with my personal preferences:

Chimera and I [U]always[/U] book as early as possible. We are very fussy about our cabin and dining times. It makes or breaks our cruise for us. We appreciate price reductions if we can get them, but will not sacrifice choice of cabin or dining preference for that. We feel fortunate to be able to do this.

Personally, I would expect my receptionist to take a [U]full, detailed[/U] message for me. She knows this and will ask a person calling for the information. I am a psychologist and I am not aware of Cruise Line/Client confidentiality. Perhaps people who do not want others to take detailed messages need to inform others who normally answer the phone for them to only take names and phone numbers. In my world unless legal confidentiality is involved, detailed messages are expected. It saves time. Or the caller just needs to say it's personal.

Also, in my experience, the celebratory cakes on HAL have been free of extra charge. I have asked and been told this.

Linda :)

[quote]
Personally, I would expect my receptionist to take a [u]full, detailed[/u] message for me. She knows this and will ask a person calling for the information. I am a psychologist and I am not aware of Cruise Line/Client confidentiality. Perhaps people who do not want others to take detailed messages need to inform others who normally answer the phone for them to only take names and phone numbers. In my world unless legal confidentiality is involved, detailed messages are expected. It saves time. Or the caller just needs to say it's personal. [/quote]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Linda....[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree with you about a receptionist or private secretary in a professional office taking detailed messages. In my husband's professional office, that is what is expected and what is done. As you say, it is a huge time saver.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]This Poster did not in any way imply she has a private professional office. Without her having clearly specified, I formed the impression (perhaps wrongly) that this office is a general business sort of office without the close interpersonal sort of relationshp a doctor has with his nurse, an attorney has with his secretary etc..... I don't think the person who took the message was the personal secretary of the Poster.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I do see it that the HAL rep was just trying to get rid of the problem. He/she didn't want to spend any more time on responding to this customer's request and did not consider that perhaps this customer didn't even want her work to know she cruises or was planning another vacation or whatever.[/font][/b]

Ryansmemom, I agree wholeheartedly with you. I am the same, I always book early to be sure I get the cabin and dinner I want. If I can get a price reduction along the way, great, if not, so be it.

Dale also hit the nail on the head when he stated, HAL said this sale was for new bookings only, HAL is honoring what they stated, period. Not sure why anyone would think those words would apply to everyone but themselves.

I'm sorry to go off topic here, but I was intrigued by your comment that AA gives you credit if the fare goes down on your flight. If you don't mind my asking, how do you go about getting that? Is this for first class only, or does it apply to economy too? Please advise. Thanks.

Lulley766: While I think it's tacky to ask for a refund in this instance, I don't disagree that you have the option to do so. But asking isn't the same as demanding - the person asked should always have the right to say "no." And as to "Well, last time I checked, the courtesy was to speak to a person live, or leave a personal voicemail..." you must be rather young, as voicemail is a relatively new phenomenon - while receptionists have been taking messages for people for many, many years.[/QUOTE]

Well, Dakrsr, just wondering if you are always this arrogant or condescending when dealing with people. I don't consider it "tacky" to ask for a refund. I consider it "foolish" not to. I did not demand, I asked politely and respectfully, being the 40-something I am. I am old enough to show good manners and grace, unlike yourself. I don't know why you are working so hard to inflame the other members on the board. I have been quite clear in my postings about why I feel HAL would want to create good will here, which is clearly, a subject you know nothing about. The other members have been thoughtful and helpful with their suggestions, unlike yourself. By the way, there's a job waiting for you at HAL guest relations department.

[quote name='Lulley766']Lulley766: While I think it's tacky to ask for a refund in this instance, I don't disagree that you have the option to do so. But asking isn't the same as demanding - the person asked should always have the right to say "no." And as to "Well, last time I checked, the courtesy was to speak to a person live, or leave a personal voicemail..." you must be rather young, as voicemail is a relatively new phenomenon - while receptionists have been taking messages for people for many, many years.[/QUOTE]

Well, Dakrsr, just wondering if you are always this arrogant or condescending when dealing with people. I don't consider it "tacky" to ask for a refund. I consider it "foolish" not to. I did not demand, I asked politely and respectfully, being the 40-something I am. I am old enough to show good manners and grace, unlike yourself. I don't know why you are working so hard to inflame the other members on the board. I have been quite clear in my postings about why I feel HAL would want to create good will here, which is clearly, a subject you know nothing about. The other members have been thoughtful and helpful with their suggestions, unlike yourself. By the way, there's a job waiting for you at HAL guest relations department.[/QUOTE]

If by "helpful" you mean those who persisted in encouraging you to work yourself up into a state about this supposed slight, that's not how I would put it. I don't really care about the "flame state" of anyone other than myself. If the truth hurts, so be it. I do hope you are happier with whichever cruise line you choose next.

doublebzz: You seem to be unable to differentiate between a duck and a grouse...:rolleyes:

[quote name='sail7seas'][b][font=Comic Sans MS]Linda....[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree with you about a receptionist or private secretary in a professional office taking detailed messages. In my husband's professional office, that is what is expected and what is done. As you say, it is a huge time saver.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]This Poster did not in any way imply she has a private professional office. Without her having clearly specified, I formed the impression (perhaps wrongly) that this office is a general business sort of office without the close interpersonal sort of relationshp a doctor has with his nurse, an attorney has with his secretary etc..... I don't think the person who took the message was the personal secretary of the Poster.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I do see it that the HAL rep was just trying to get rid of the problem. He/she didn't want to spend any more time on responding to this customer's request and did not consider that perhaps this customer didn't even want her work to know she cruises or was planning another vacation or whatever.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b][/QUOTE]

Sail,

You are correct. I did miss the finer points of this situation. The OP's situation is not necessarily that with a personal secretary taking personal messages. That makes a difference, I can rely on my receptionist to keep my personal information private.

I had also not considered the possibility of the HAL rep giving Lulley766 such a heavey handed brush off. That is very poor customer service. Lulley has not been treated as a respected, valued customer deserves to be treated, regardless of the answer to her request. A request, that in my opinion, she was certainly entitled to make. If you don't ask, you never know. Right?

Lulley, I hope you enjoy your cruise. I have always enjoyed my HAL cruises and I feel that HAL provides a wonderful cruise experience. I know that situations like this can leave a bad taste in your mouth and all I can say is that regardless of the outcome, I hope you can get past this and board that ship with an open mind.

Please don't let the attitude of a few employees shape your opinion of the entire company. I can tell you that the onboard staff are truly wonderful and they are dedicated to seeing that you enjoy your cruise.

Linda

Best of luck to you.

Archived