Regent vs Crystal

RonnieL

Perhaps a separate thread should be posted on the subject of electronic cigarettes as I assume there are many points of view.

The main argument against cigarettes by non-smokers is the harm that can come from second hand smoke. IMO, it is the health risk that started the bans on smoking throughout the world. Although some people may not like the smell of the e-cigs (or perfume) in order to get them widely banned, there would need to be something that could be a health risk to people around the e-cig smoker.

I actually bought e-cigarettes for my daughter (now a non-smoker). Had she wanted to, she could have smoked in in the house. Anything that helps people addicted to cigarettes cut down or quit is okay in my book -- even if smells a bit strange.

I don't want those things smoked in my cabin.... This will get cleared up or I will find my new favorite cruise line.

Still waiting for an answer to my e-mail!

It is rare that you and I are on such opposite ends of a debate. I may have a compromise. First I wanted to mention that FDR and Mr. Kamlani are on vacation. Not sure who your email was addressed to. Assuming that most executives will be back to work next week.

Thinking about someone that has made the difficult decision to no longer smoke, it would be very hard to be put in the same place as people who are smoking. That is the last place I wanted to be (lest I try to inhale second hand smoke). On the other hand, scented e-cigarettes could be quite obnoxious (at least they sound that way -- have not smelled one).

Would it work if non-scented e-cigs were permitted in open spaces, bars, etc.? If there is no odor and no harmful effects to others, it sounds pretty good to me. They could simply ban flavored/flavoured/scented electronic cigarettes. Just a thought.

As previously mentioned, one person saw someone with an e-cig. We have seen no one -- anywhere on the ship -- even though it is permitted.

TC, good for your daughter to quit smoking. The e-cig's have helped many people to quit. There is no harm from secound hand smoke from these devices and many are oderless.

Nana, I think you are way over the top with this. They sell them in our malls at kisoks and other stores where smoking is not permitted and I see people using them all the time at many venues. Nobody complains about their use.

Nana, I think you are way over the top with this. They sell them in our malls at kisoks and other stores where smoking is not permitted and I see people using them all the time at many venues. Nobody complains about their use.

Sadly this was not my experience when a house guest was found to be smoking an e-cig in my house! Gross was what my entire downstairs smelled like! They have an Oder and while the guest has been gone for weeks - the residue and smell left behind has not!

The so called vapor has to go somewhere and so far I have cleaned the carpets and drapes, wiped every surface and can't quite get it gone!

My guest was inconsiderate and I will not pay Regent prices to have my cabin permeated with this do called "harmless" vapor.

I don't think I'm over the top at all....

...There is no harm from secound hand smoke from these devices and many are oderless.

...They sell them in our malls at kisoks and other stores where smoking is not permitted and I see people using them all the time at many venues. Nobody complains about their use.

Such bold unsubstantiated statements

1. "No harm" - I'd like to see you prove that claim - can you offer up one iota of scientific evidence to support your claim? - particularly given there are no effective controls on what chemicals are used in these devices

2. "Nobody complains" - really? - you know that to be a fact

so why has New York city banned them? why have many places banned them in the same fashion as conventional cigarettes are banned? Crystal Cruises have restricted their use to locations where "normal" smoking is allowed - however at this stage Regent have not (although if they are as harmless as it is claimed I wonder why they don't allow their use in the dining areas)

As Nana541 states she has experienced firsthand the smell impacting her (and what a rude and inconsiderate guest that was), as have I - let me assure you that certain mixes used in these devices give off quite an odour which can impact others

I don't think it's an over reaction at all and congratulate Crystal on their stance

Sadly this was not my experience when a house guest was found to be smoking an e-cig in my house! Gross was what my entire downstairs smelled like! They have an Oder and while the guest has been gone for weeks - the residue and smell left behind has not!

The so called vapor has to go somewhere and so far I have cleaned the carpets and drapes, wiped every surface and can't quite get it gone!

My guest was inconsiderate and I will not pay Regent prices to have my cabin permeated with this do called "harmless" vapor.

I don't think I'm over the top at all....

Nana,

You are absolutely totally and completely correct and am sorry for all the trouble you are going thru from this extremely inconsiderate person. A real shame that some others are using unsubstantiated non-facts to support inconsiderate people and inconsiderate Regent.

It is truly unfortunate that Regent is supporting inconsiderate people who don't have the willpower or ability to stop this horrible practice and have now found another way to continue harassing others with their dangerous and dirty habit with the consent of Regent.

Sorry, I am sad about this entire turn of events. DH is finally going to retire, we love Regent and I thought the world was finally realizing smoking was not to be done in any public venue or indoors.

Seems this nasty habit is simply coming back in another form.

We love Regent and are dismayed by this seeming "new" policy.

FDR what idiot thought this was a good business decision???

Edited by nana541

To my knowledge this isn't a new regent policy. It is only being discussed because of Crystals New policy. I can not stress enough that no one is using e-cigs on board.

I am starting a new thread.... I truly cannot believe this argument.

To my knowledge this isn't a new regent policy. It is only being discussed because of Crystals New policy. I can not stress enough that no one is using e-cigs on board.

I am starting a new thread.... I truly cannot believe this argument.

TC no argument at all.... The addition regarding e-cigs was NOT in the Regent policies previously. I don't when this was added but that addition is new. And according to how the policy reads they can be used IN THE CABINS AND ON THE BALCONIES! Having experienced this invasion in my own home I can tell you that this is wrong!

I am thrilled your family member was able to use e-cigs to stop smoking that is a great thing....however if these are to be allowed they need to be relegated to the regular smoking areas.

TC no argument at all.... The addition regarding e-cigs was NOT in the Regent policies previously. I don't when this was added but that addition is new. And according to how the policy reads they can be used IN THE CABINS AND ON THE BALCONIES! Having experienced this invasion in my own home I can tell you that this is wrong!

I am thrilled your family member was able to use e-cigs to stop smoking that is a great thing....however if these are to be allowed they need to be relegated to the regular smoking areas.

Hi -- I kind of laid out my argument (pertaining only to a debate - not arguing with you:-) on the new thread. In my experience (tried to quit smoking many times before actually doing it), you really cannot put smokers together with people trying to give them up. It is like putting someone on a diet while surrounded with people eating all of your favorite fattening foods.

I am not familiar with all e-cigs. but there are some that are supposedly odorless. There are so many different kinds...... the cheap disposables, expensive rechargeable ones that are advertised in magazines.

This will probably become a bigger and bigger issue in the U.S. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I can not stress enough that no one is using e-cigs on board.

How can you give that assurance? IMHO you simply can't - do you sail on every Regent voyage and monitor every passenger - clearly not....and in fact in your post in the new thread on this topic you say that there was someone reportedly using E Cigarettes

The reality is that as things stand under Regents smoking policy the use of E Cigarettes in any area except dining areas is allowed - therefore it's a reasonable expectation that someone will wish to use them as per the policy

The issue remains on topic as this is one difference between Regent and Crystal

Edited by Bodogbodog

Sorry, I am sad about this entire turn of events. DH is finally going to retire, we love Regent and I thought the world was finally realizing smoking was not to be done in any public venue or indoors.

Seems this nasty habit is simply coming back in another form.

We love Regent and are dismayed by this seeming "new" policy.

FDR what idiot thought this was a good business decision???

Copying my own post..... Spells out one Loyal Regent cruisers feelings on this issue. In my opinion enough said!

I'm done

I think Regent would like to have an ambassador like Keith is for Crystal. Calm, factual and a clear and logical thinker. I believe he brings in a lot of cruisers to Crystal with his warm and welcoming posts. A non-divisive person who gives great practical help to people. Everybody respects Keith!