Beach or shop? 2 girls alone- Leaving in 1 week!

coffeeaddiction12345

Hi everyone,

Will be in georgetown in 1 week! My sister and I will be alone (25 years old) and we are on ship sponsored excursions throughout our week next week. However, we feel this place is safe enough that we can do our own thing.

We're looking for a beach day, we think. We have our own snorkel gear and we'd like to see some fish and such but we're not "hardcore snorkelers" if that makes sense. Is there anywhere to go that might not be super crowded, but still have great snorkeling for beginners?

However, we're not sure how shopping is. Our last cruise we shopped in the USVI and regretted not seeing their beaches. Is shopping good enough to forego the beach?? We know that we will absolutely be at the beach in our other 3 stops, since we've already bought the excursion.

thanks everyone!! We need to choose soon!

Edited by coffeeaddiction12345

Grand Turk is small, not much in the way of shopping outside of the cruise terminal. I snorkeled left of the cruise terminal and we saw some really beautiful and fish! We even saw some very large neon blue and purple fish that were amazing. If you snorkel right at the cruise terminal there is an anchor and cannon under water that is pretty cool to see. Plus there's a huge drop off that is really beautiful and very deep!

We are planning on a Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Conquest and one of the ports is Grand Turk...we are looking for easy accessible things to do.

1.Such as when we get off the cruise ship what can we walk to.

2.Are there beaches within walking distance?

3. Shopping right off the ship within walking distance?

4. What else is there to do in Grand Turk of interest we enjoy historical sites.

Thanks

We are planning on a Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Conquest and one of the ports is Grand Turk...we are looking for easy accessible things to do.

1.Such as when we get off the cruise ship what can we walk to.

2.Are there beaches within walking distance?

3. Shopping right off the ship within walking distance?

4. What else is there to do in Grand Turk of interest we enjoy historical sites.

Thanks

Take 10 minutes and read the threads on the first page of this board and you will know everything there is to know about Grand Turk. The "Grand" is just a nickname, there's really not much to see here.

The beach is right at the foot of the dock you will be at. You can walk to the right for more beach, or you can walk to the left for more beach (and more bars).

There is a created shopping area at the foot of the dock with the same exact tourist shops you will see at every other Caribbean port, except here it's only the tourist shops, there are no local shops.

Take 10 minutes and read the threads on the first page of this board and you will know everything there is to know about Grand Turk. The "Grand" is just a nickname, there's really not much to see here.

The beach is right at the foot of the dock you will be at. You can walk to the right for more beach, or you can walk to the left for more beach (and more bars).

There is a created shopping area at the foot of the dock with the same exact tourist shops you will see at every other Caribbean port, except here it's only the tourist shops, there are no local shops.

thanks so much

Just to amend...what Nitemeare says is true for the cruise center, no local crafts. But if you catch a taxi (5 minute ride) to Cockburntown, you might find some local vendors with stall or small shops open. Best bet for locally made goods is the Turks & Caicos Musuem on Front Street where they carry a lot of items from the local artisans' co-op. Also the Salt House on the edge of town carries soaps and bath salts from the local islands. Since cockburntown isn't that big and most stores are along a couple of blocks of Front and Duke Streets, you can do both beach and shop and grab a bite to eat without rushing along.

Hi everyone,

Will be in georgetown in 1 week! My sister and I will be alone (25 years old) and we are on ship sponsored excursions throughout our week next week. However, we feel this place is safe enough that we can do our own thing...

coffeeaddiction12345 - If you are going to be in Georgetown, you will be on the island of Grand Cayman, which is part of the Cayman Islands. This forum is for the island of Grand Turk, which is one of the Turks Islands and is part of the Turks and Caicos Islands. The responses on this thread are about Grand Turk, so if you are looking for information about Grand Cayman, you may want to try the Cayman Islands forum at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147.

Have a fun trip!

coffeeaddiction12345 - If you are going to be in Georgetown, you will be on the island of Grand Cayman, which is part of the Cayman Islands. This forum is for the island of Grand Turk, which is one of the Turks Islands and is part of the Turks and Caicos Islands. The responses on this thread are about Grand Turk, so if you are looking for information about Grand Cayman, you may want to try the Cayman Islands forum at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147.

Have a fun trip!

thanks! I asked my TA for clarification and she said it was here- so now I am ROYALLY confused.

thanks! I asked my TA for clarification and she said it was here- so now I am ROYALLY confused.

Time to get a new Travel Agent.

So . . . where else does your cruise go?

Edit: I see you're doing Western Caribbean, Grand Turk is Eastern. Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay. Have fun! And whoever you use as a TA down the line, always verify the information they give you. Even the best ones can make mistakes.

Edited by Nitemare

Time to get a new Travel Agent.

So . . . where else does your cruise go?

Edit: I see you're doing Western Caribbean, Grand Turk is Eastern. Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay. Have fun! And whoever you use as a TA down the line, always verify the information they give you. Even the best ones can make mistakes.

Definitely find a new TA!!!!!!! Grand Turk and Grand Cayman are not only two different islands, but they are not even anywhere near each other!