Question re: sea hair

Mamatothree

Hi gals

I hope someone can give me advice here.

For the past two spring breaks we have traveled to Florida gulf beaches. I LOVE the Gulf - but my hair HATES the Gulf :(

I have very fine hair that frizzes and looks like straw in the salt air. Even pinned up in a clip it looks terrible. Imagine how bad it'll be after 7 days IN the Gulf if it's that bad when on the Gulf!!! ;)

I know, I know.... Total first world problems! But I thought maybe someone would have a similar experience and some advice. If not - That's okay! I'll be happy to endure bad hair for 7 days in the west carribean ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hi gals

I hope someone can give me advice here.

For the past two spring breaks we have traveled to Florida gulf beaches. I LOVE the Gulf - but my hair HATES the Gulf :(

I have very fine hair that frizzes and looks like straw in the salt air. Even pinned up in a clip it looks terrible. Imagine how bad it'll be after 7 days IN the Gulf if it's that bad when on the Gulf!!! ;)

I know, I know.... Total first world problems! But I thought maybe someone would have a similar experience and some advice. If not - That's okay! I'll be happy to endure bad hair for 7 days in the west carribean ;)

Thanks in advance!

The best advice I can give is to get a big brim hat! You'll want to protect your face from the sun anyway! There are many brands of packable straw hats on the market. I like betmar and scala brands. Amazon has a ton of them if you can't find any locally. With a big brim hat and sun glasses you'll be incognito! For evening, just take along products that you normally use. The ship is air conditioned and your hair will behave as it usually does inside. Keep in mind that ship's water is very soft. I never need to use conditioner when cruising. Happy Sailing!:)

Who has a wife with the same problem. She could spend two days straightening her hair and 5 minutes in the salt air and it looks like a brillo pad. She says the hat idea helps a bit but for the most part she just resigns herself to the fact that frizzy hair is going to be part of the trip.

It's a 10 with Keratin products helped me immensely on my recent Caribbean cruise. I use the shampoo (every few days) and conditioner (daily). I also use a leave-in product that I recently discovered. One pump works for my shoulder-length hair at home, but I used two pumps while at sea. Relatively expensive but worth it and it looks like it should last a long long time.

http://www.beauty.com/alterna-bamboo-smooth-frizz-correcting-styling-lotion/qxp454640?catid=13004&N=0

There is a thread back a ways that discussed this and I think will be helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1815695&highlight=cruise+hair+horrible

You're on vacation. You'll likely never see these people again;) Let your hair take a vacation from all the product/heat/stress you put on it in daily life. Let it so it's natural thing on the trip. A hat a a few hair accessories will suffice.

There are actual products out there to give people the "salt air" look - you're getting it free :D

You're on vacation. You'll likely never see these people again;) Let your hair take a vacation from all the product/heat/stress you put on it in daily life. Let it so it's natural thing on the trip. A hat a a few hair accessories will suffice.

There are actual products out there to give people the "salt air" look - you're getting it free :D

I could so NOT do this! Trying to imagine me with "salt air hair" and dressing for formal night. I'd probably hide under the bed, if there was room next to the luggage. :eek:

If your "sea hair" has just a bit more waves in it, fine. But if it's frizzy, ugh. My life on the sea!

I was using It's a Ten plus Keriten shampoo and conditioner from May through August. It really does tame your hair and un-do the frizz. However, it also removes most of the volume (it did with me anyway). I ended up with pretty limp hair - the body was gone.

I stopped using it because I only have wavy hair, not curly hair. I now use L'Oreal Absolute Repair shampoo and conditioner the 3 times a week that I wash my hair. I also stopped blowing it dry and just let the waves loose. Love it! Who knew after blow drying my hair straight all these years (which was causing the dryness and frizz) that I'd like it natural. My hair is so healthy now.

I could so NOT do this! Trying to imagine me with "salt air hair" and dressing for formal night. I'd probably hide under the bed, if there was room next to the luggage. :eek:

Well, you CAN do it up for Formal Night. Just let it have it's vacation the rest of the time :-)

My stylist told me my hair always seems in it's best condition right after I come home from vacation. ;)

Well, you CAN do it up for Formal Night. Just let it have it's vacation the rest of the time :-)

My stylist told me my hair always seems in it's best condition right after I come home from vacation. ;)

Oh good, glad there is an "out" there! LOL

I have found the right combination of products that allow me to blow my hair dry, straight, and have it last pretty well even in humidity. I have not found the same combo that will allow me to just let it dry and the actually be seen in public. But, the search continues.

I have curly frizzy prone hair. I always pull it back with headband and a clip when out on deck or in port and/or a hat. If you stay inside the ship it will behave for dinner and a show. However I recently tried a keratin treatment and wow it's soft and wavy no frizz. I went all over the carribean and barely touched it, expensive but lasts about 3 months life changing !!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have very frizzy hair in humidity, so I wash and blow dry my hair in the evening before dinner and the shows, then just pull it back in a pony tail or a bun the next day. If I stay indoors in the evening it's fine, but if hubby wants a walk on deck we have to do it BEFORE I spend all that time on my hair! A good, inexpensive product is Got 2 Be 4 Day Straight, which helps to maximize the straighening with the blow dryer, and minimizes frizz.

That sounds just like me . I tell my husband only women with straight nonfrizzy hair can stroll the deck after dinner before the shows. I end up with clown hair

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I say, embrace your inner Bozo :D I know of where I speak… I grew up at the beach. Yes, where blonde and straight was what all the cool girls had, there I was with my brown, curly hair. Did the soup cans, did the iron/ironing board thing, a straightener… Then, I got in to always blowdrying it straight, getting the flatiron. Now, I just leave it do it's thing. I do use product to keep the curls defined and keep some of the frizz at bay. But, I'll just let it go if I'm on vacation and just walking around/beaching/pooling it.

But, since I'm also one who wears almost no makeup (definitely no foundation, powder, just moisturizer and eyeliner and maybe add neutral shadow and mascara for fancy time) and likes my jeans, I'm considered an outsider here, I think...

I say, embrace your inner Bozo :D I know of where I speak… I grew up at the beach. Yes, where blonde and straight was what all the cool girls had, there I was with my brown, curly hair. Did the soup cans, did the iron/ironing board thing, a straightener… Then, I got in to always blowdrying it straight, getting the flatiron. Now, I just leave it do it's thing. I do use product to keep the curls defined and keep some of the frizz at bay. But, I'll just let it go if I'm on vacation and just walking around/beaching/pooling it.

But, since I'm also one who wears almost no makeup (definitely no foundation, powder, just moisturizer and eyeliner and maybe add neutral shadow and mascara for fancy time) and likes my jeans, I'm considered an outsider here, I think...

I think we are more alike than you might guess. I do wear mineral foundation most days, a little blush and mascara. Shadow when I'm glamming it up. When I was growing up - maybe the same era, same beach? - my hair was stick straight, with no dryer, no soup cans, nothing. Now I have both wave and frizz.

I aspire to being able to wash, "product", scrunch and go.

I think we are more alike than you might guess. I do wear mineral foundation most days, a little blush and mascara. Shadow when I'm glamming it up. When I was growing up - maybe the same era, same beach? - my hair was stick straight, with no dryer, no soup cans, nothing. Now I have both wave and frizz.

I aspire to being able to wash, "product", scrunch and go.

The glorious mid-60s and 70s. Newport Beach, BEFORE it became "The OC." Big Corona, The Penninsula… good times. Well, except for the hair.

When you go au natural and curly, you do have to accept the fact that, sometimes, the hair will revolt and not turn out all neat and pretty. That's why God invented all those hair implements to pull back, pin down, cover up ;)

The glorious mid-60s and 70s. Newport Beach, BEFORE it became "The OC." Big Corona, The Penninsula… good times. Well, except for the hair.

When you go au natural and curly, you do have to accept the fact that, sometimes, the hair will revolt and not turn out all neat and pretty. That's why God invented all those hair implements to pull back, pin down, cover up ;)

San Fernando Valley, Santa Monica pier, north to Malibu. Yep, same era. Graduated high school in 1970.

My hair is thick and naturally wavy, but becomes super curly on board, but prone to frizziness if I don't use the right product or use too much blowdryer on it (I use a diffuser or I finger curl with hairdryer)

My curly hair soaks up moisture so I rely on Morrocan oil and I don't ever use shampoo (save for every couple weeks to clear out buildup).

Go on pinterest and find some cute ideas for hair styles and practice before you go - the small things blog has TONS of cute hair styles - this is what I do - practice beforehand and make sure I bring a ton of rubber bands, barettes and bobby pins with me to do cute hair styles.

I can't rock hats :(

http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/

We spend a week in FL. every Oct., and I completely understand the straw like hair you end up with from the salt water. I have found that if I take a tube of conditioner, that comes with hair color kits, and use that as my conditioner and leave it in for about 3 minutes or so before I rinse it out. It has really works well for me. I'm going to take it with me on my next cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I have long wavy/curly hair that becomes VERY frizzy in humidity. A few things that I have found that work very well for me are

Living Proof's style extender

Ojon restorative conditioner

as well as putting a LITTLE coconut oil through it, and then washing it. Make sure you use just a little otherwise it will look oily, but it definitely controls the frizz. Also you could try rubbing pure aloe through it too.

I have very thick, curly(and frizzy) hair....prior to cruising in the tropics I let it grow longer so I can keep it up in a pony tail or any other way to keep it off of my face and neck.

If I know I am going to spend a day in the water or surf, I will wet my hair down prior to leaving our room. I add a lot of conditioner, put it in pony tail and then wear a hat of some sort. When I get home, I rinse the conditioner out and get ready for dinner.

The Brazilian blow out didn't work well for me....It was so expensive and my hair just wanted to act up.

Have never done it since. I have learned to embrace my wild hair.