Independence Mine tours- worthwhile?

sammiedawg

We were planning to drive to the mine on the Hatcher Pass and wondered if the tours offered at 1:30 and 3:30 are worthwhile? Or should we spend the day in Talkeetna? How long does it take to drive from Talkeetna to the mine? We could just drive the pass on the way to Anchorage. Thanks

I really like the Independence Mine as much for the beautiful scenery as the historic value. We used to camp up above the mine. From Talkeetna, there is a turn off at Willow and you can do the "loop", coming out in Palmer. Be advised that this is partly dirt and some rental companies get in a snit about taking rental cars on dirt roads. People do it all the time, but check with your rental company. Some limit to specific remote roads such as Denali Highway, others any dirt roads. If you do drive on dirt, it's usually pretty much at your own risk. The only road I've ever had problems on is the Dalton (two flat tires).

Yes the mining tours are very worthwhile. It is likely NO car rental company will allow you to access Hatcher Pass from Wasilla and you will have to drive to Palmer. Allow at least 1 1/2 hours

Archived