Oceana

Mickb

We are new to P&O and for our 14th cruise are booked on a cruise to Iberia in mid March in a suite aboard Oceana ( after some very helpful encouragement from posters on this board.)

I recently purchased Douglas Ward's Berlitz guide to cruising 2014 and was dismayed to find that since the 2013 edition Oceana had dropped nearly 100 points and is now rated 3*+ and not 4*.

Does anyone have any idea why things have changed so much during 1 year that the rating should drop by nearly 100 points?

The suites on Oceana - 6 of them - are at the aft and are wonderful! The two on C deck have the largest balconies - huge - and we had a fantastic 17 night cruise aboard her. The two suites on D deck are the smallest but still large compared to the size of the suites on, for example, Azura and Ventura. We have been on Oceana 3 times and would go back in a suite in an instant. My husband counted 23 drawers in our suite! The sleeping area is quite distinct from the sitting area, separated by a curtain which you can pull across if you wish - we never bothered. The bathroom is wonderful - marble sinks - 2 - a large shower with a proper door, and a jacuzzi bath. There is a door from the bathroom into the toilet and another door from the toilet into the hallway - really useful.

I would be surprised if you don't love the suite. We really like Oceana and have had three fantastic cruises on her. I wouldn't pay any attention to the Douglas Ward comments on her. Far too many of the things in that book are inaccurate.

Have a wonderful time.:)

annieuk - thanks for your comments - very encouraging.

Spanners710 - Only put that to demonstrate that we are not first timers. Prefer to do that than list previous cruises and ships!

I thought that I asked a perfectly valid question - sorry if it offended you.

annieuk - thanks for your comments - very encouraging.

Spanners710 - Only put that to demonstrate that we are not first timers. Prefer to do that than list previous cruises and ships!

I thought that I asked a perfectly valid question - sorry if it offended you.

I don't think it should be you that is apologising. No need for spanners710 remark.:(

Oceana is older than a lot of the ships around these days and I suppose she's showing her age a bit. We've cruised on her several times and we always enjoy ourselves but cruise ship design has moved on considerably in the last few years; for example, there's a shortage of alternative eating venues on Oceana when you compare her to ships like IoTS, Azura or Ruby Princess.

I haven't read the review in Berlitz so don't know where she dropped the points but whatever it says I'm sure you'll have a great time. The reviews you've read from REAL people are more important.

Cruised on Oceana twice on 2013, for me never again, just do not like this ship, on the other hand my husband loves it!!

No real alternative dining, no really nice places to have a drink, all too much pub/club orientated for me.

Cabins in need of modernisation, and compared to Azura, Ventura and Aurora very small cabins.

Every pub/restaurant except Footlights and Starlight's is within 10 metre walk of the Atrium, I just do not like the atmosphere of the ship but as I said husband loves it. We all look for something different on a ship and I am sure you will love it. :)