Anyone hear anything about Carnival Freedom drydock?

ms.gloria

The Freedom drydock is pretty strange. To cancel cruises, send refunds and additional credits only to subsequently un-cancel the previously refunded sail-dates is very strange behavior. Furthermore, there would have to be some orders placed for some long-lead items (how long in advance of a drydock do you have to order a waterslide, a ropes course, a Dr. Seuss room, etc.) that would have been placed before the cancellation.

It should be obvious that there was some sorta plan based on the dollars refunded for the original drydock time. Either a bunch of stuff was cancelled and Carnival lost a bunch of money, the shipyard can't accommodate what Carnival wanted to have done, or Carnival and the shipyard figured out a way to get done in drydock what needed to get done in drydock in 2 weeks while carrying out other construction underway. The third option seems like a possibility since one poster said that he or she was called saying that there would be construction on a deck and Carnival offered to move them. Unfortunately, a lesson learned from Sunshine could be that a more cost-efficient way to upgrade a ship is to put contractors on for the first sailing or two to finish up what needs to be done.

Granted, that is all speculation about what can happen. The only facts that we have are that the extended drydock was cancelled after uncancelling sail-dates, and the Seuss press release said that Freedom would be a "major" drydock. While not confirmed, I'm pretty sure that you could bet that it will at least receive the 2.0 venues like the other Conquest class ships, the scenic ocean view rooms and captain's suites, and new shows (essentially the same upgrades that the Glory and Conquest got).

Speaking of new shows...

The Legend is scheduled to be in dry dock in a month, and there was supposed to be an announcement of what shows were going to be switched out in place of the existing ones which duplicate the Spirit's shows. You'd think that if they were just going to put Epic Rock or some other playlist production, they'd just come out and say it instead of teasing a future announcement. I wonder if they heard the feedback on the new shows...

Edited by Branman

The Freedom drydock is pretty strange. To cancel cruises, send refunds and additional credits only to subsequently un-cancel the previously refunded sail-dates is very strange behavior. Furthermore, there would have to be some orders placed for some long-lead items (how long in advance of a drydock do you have to order a waterslide, a ropes course, a Dr. Seuss room, etc.) that would have been placed before the cancellation.

It should be obvious that there was some sorta plan based on the dollars refunded for the original drydock time. Either a bunch of stuff was cancelled and Carnival lost a bunch of money, the shipyard can't accommodate what Carnival wanted to have done, or Carnival and the shipyard figured out a way to get done in drydock what needed to get done in drydock in 2 weeks while carrying out other construction underway. The third option seems like a possibility since one poster said that he or she was called saying that there would be construction on a deck and Carnival offered to move them. Unfortunately, a lesson learned from Sunshine could be that a more cost-efficient way to upgrade a ship is to put contractors on for the first sailing or two to finish up what needs to be done.

Granted, that is all speculation about what can happen. The only facts that we have are that the extended drydock was cancelled after uncancelling sail-dates, and the Seuss press release said that Freedom would be a "major" drydock. While not confirmed, I'm pretty sure that you could bet that it will at least receive the 2.0 venues like the other Conquest class ships, the scenic ocean view rooms and captain's suites, and new shows (essentially the same upgrades that the Glory and Conquest got).

Speaking of new shows...

The Legend is scheduled to be in dry dock in a month, and there was supposed to be an announcement of what shows were going to be switched out in place of the existing ones which duplicate the Spirit's shows. You'd think that if they were just going to put Epic Rock or some other playlist production, they'd just come out and say it instead of teasing a future announcement. I wonder if they heard the feedback on the new shows...

I think the third option is also a possibility. If possible, could you provide me a link as to where they said construction will be going on on their deck?

While not confirmed, I'm pretty sure that you could bet that it will at least receive the 2.0 venues like the other Conquest class ships, the scenic ocean view rooms and captain's suites, and new shows (essentially the same upgrades that the Glory and Conquest got).

I hope this turns turns out to be so. Although when the Liberty got 2.0, they did not add the scenic ocean view rooms, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do add them to the Freedom. I'd love to hear an official announcement since this would play a major factor in whether or not we book the Freedom for 2014 since we prefer those cabins (having just had one on the Glory).

I think the third option is also a possibility. If possible, could you provide me a link as to where they said construction will be going on on their deck?

I misread, it was about the Legend.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960738

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Freedom got a similar treatment. Sunshine had plenty of work done both before and after its drydock while underway.

I misread, it was about the Legend.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960738

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Freedom got a similar treatment. Sunshine had plenty of work done both before and after its drydock while underway.

Ok. I like your point earlier about the ordering of waterslides, Seuss, etc before the cancellations. I never thought about that. If I was a betting person, I would bet that the freedom will get all of 2.0 upgrades, upgraded cabins, waterworks, dr. Seuss, new menus, new entertainment concept, new scenic over bridge, and possibly other features incorporated into the sunshine including pizzeria del capitano, etc. however I do not think that the sunshine will receive a ropes course. I am undecided as to if there will be a decor change to an "island vibe" around the ship..

If it is a major drydock as depicted above, I would expect them to announce it before the beginning of February.

Ok. I like your point earlier about the ordering of waterslides, Seuss, etc before the cancellations. I never thought about that. If I was a betting person, I would bet that the freedom will get all of 2.0 upgrades, upgraded cabins, waterworks, dr. Seuss, new menus, new entertainment concept, new scenic over bridge, and possibly other features incorporated into the sunshine including pizzeria del capitano, etc. however I do not think that the sunshine will receive a ropes course. I am undecided as to if there will be a decor change to an "island vibe" around the ship..

If it is a major drydock as depicted above, I would expect them to announce it before the beginning of February.

I'd argue that the ropes course/sportsquare would be a much easier addition to a Conquest class ship than a waterworks, but both would serve the same purpose of making more efficient use of deck space.

The skylight over the aft buffet takes up a lot of space on the sports deck. That could easily be taken out and replaced with a basketball court. The ropes course could go on the forward section of the sports deck over the steakhouse. This would be a very similar configuration to the Magic or Breeze. Having been on the Magic a few times, I know this space is very popular, and there's always a crowd at the basketball court. I haven't been on a Conquest class for a decade, but it seemed like there were more people on the Magic's sports deck than Conquest's.

I'd think it would be comparatively inexpensive since the major work would be adding non-load-bearing structures. They'll probably be hard at work in that area anyway because of the need to add a larger backup generator.

That said, I really hope that they add a waterworks. My girlfriend and I love going down the newer slides. Having another ship with it will open up future options.

I'd argue that the ropes course/sportsquare would be a much easier addition to a Conquest class ship than a waterworks, but both would serve the same purpose of making more efficient use of deck space.

The skylight over the aft buffet takes up a lot of space on the sports deck. That could easily be taken out and replaced with a basketball court. The ropes course could go on the forward section of the sports deck over the steakhouse. This would be a very similar configuration to the Magic or Breeze. Having been on the Magic a few times, I know this space is very popular, and there's always a crowd at the basketball court. I haven't been on a Conquest class for a decade, but it seemed like there were more people on the Magic's sports deck than Conquest's.

I'd think it would be comparatively inexpensive since the major work would be adding non-load-bearing structures. They'll probably be hard at work in that area anyway because of the need to add a larger backup generator.

That said, I really hope that they add a waterworks. My girlfriend and I love going down the newer slides. Having another ship with it will open up future options.

Yes. After looking at he deck plans, you are right. It would be fairly simple to add a ropes course. And after looking at all of the possible upgrades, they all seem simple to implement. There will be no need for structural changes as was seen with sunshine. Who knows, maybe they will redo the whole ship in two weeks, and just add more workers?

Just wondering about something...IF they do add the 6J and 6K cabins on lido deck during Freedom's drydock (to replace the current category 4J's), how would that impact current bookings? The booking engine will allow me to book 9201 ( a 4J) on the Freedom for December 2014 as we speak. Will people who have booked those 4J cabins on lido deck be automatically transferred to one of the new cabins, or will they get a notice informing them of the change, or what? It seems that I recall something similar with the Sunshine when those cabins were switched up. When did they add the scenic ocean views/deluxe scenic ocean views to the booking engine for the Sunshine?

http://www.carnivalconversations.com/blog/category/product/

According the the website blog Carnival Conversations, it looks like Freedom WILL get the 2.0 upgrade and "bonuses". :D

Now the response from Carnival was dated before the announcement of the Dr. Seuss enhancements so I'm not sure if the bonuses were referring to the new kids area or not.

I hope the bonuses include the waterworks.

http://www.carnivalconversations.com/blog/category/product/

According the the website blog Carnival Conversations, it looks like Freedom WILL get the 2.0 upgrade and "bonuses". :D

Now the response from Carnival was dated before the announcement of the Dr. Seuss enhancements so I'm not sure if the bonuses were referring to the new kids area or not.

I hope the bonuses include the waterworks.

Wow! Awesome. I bet you that waterworks is included in drydock!

I seriously doubt they will be adding waterworks, or many of the other things mentioned in this thread in only 2 weeks of dry dock. Seems way to big of undertaking. I think a lot of people are going to be dissappointed when its only the 2.0 upgrades and the Suess at Sea stuff.

I seriously doubt they will be adding waterworks, or many of the other things mentioned in this thread in only 2 weeks of dry dock. Seems way to big of undertaking. I think a lot of people are going to be dissappointed when its only the 2.0 upgrades and the Suess at Sea stuff.

So what do you think it means when Carnival says there will be bonuses?