Excursion vs. touring ourselves with three children

avgsuperheroine

My husband and I have been to Nassau before. We didn't do any excursions and had a fun day but were underwhelmed with the area on our own.

We are going in march with our three boys, who are only 6, 7, 9. My youngest loves birds so I thought the adastra gardens would be fun. The paid tour includes a bus tour which makes me think it would be easier to do with the kids and we'd also get to see some fun sights.

The cost difference between doing it alone or on a tour is about $100. Is the extra ease and the tour worth it, or are we better off going alone even with our boys that age?

We haven't done the paid excursion but we went to Ardastra on our own. I kind of doubt that the bus "tour" is much more than transportation to the zoo. Personally, I would save the $100 and use it to get some nice lunch at the Fish Fry afterwards. If you go on your own, you can do it on your own time, at your own pace. Be sure to check the Ardastra website for the lorry parrot feeding times. If your son likes birds, he will love having 2 or 3 of them feeding out of his hand. :)

ry%3D480

Edited by CruisinCrow

We did not take the excursion to Ardastra. We did the research and found with just a little walking we could take the jitney (bus) for a reasonable fare ($1.50?). Our group included 5 adults and 2 children (4 and 7). We went to where the jitney was to pick us up. We got on 10A, we were supposed to get on 10. The driver said no problem, he would take us there. After an interesting trip through the residential area of Nassau (we were the only non-natives on the bus), the driver dropped us off at the front gate of Ardastra; of course he got a nice tip. The normal drop off would require about a half mile of walking. We had a great time there. It was very warm that day, but water was only $1.50 which is a steal anymore. The staff was fantastic as well. Not sure if it's not visited as much anymore, but it was not busy at all. I'm confident you will have a great time!

205401_4148774755217_658789405_n.jpg

556562_4148775755242_1483297439_n.jpg

391178_10151124309878939_2042834375_n.jpg

How far is this and the zoo, from the cruise port? Is it walkable?

Cheers

Len

Ardastra is about a mile and a half from the cruise port. It is walkable but it's a lot easier just to take the bus. As RaeRae said, take the #10 bus, not #10A. Get off at the Fish Fry stop and from there it's a short walk up the hill to the zoo.

Fort Charlotte is at the same stop, in case you're interested in checking that out too.

Ardastra is about a mile and a half from the cruise port. It is walkable but it's a lot easier just to take the bus. As RaeRae said, take the #10 bus, not #10A. Get off at the Fish Fry stop and from there it's a short walk up the hill to the zoo.

Fort Charlotte is at the same stop, in case you're interested in checking that out too.

Thanks for the info. really appreciated

If we do decide to walk, is it a pleasant walk, anything to see?

Cheers

Len

We started to walk back to the port and changed our minds when we realized just how far it was. We didn't feel threatened, but not completely safe either. Seemed to be a bit residential in the area. Everyone we encountered seemed friendly, but I wouldn't advise walking.