Princess vs Holland America

jhuntermartin

. . . HAL had a better selection of desserts in the dining room. There were more adventurous choices every night. Princess seems to be stuck with creme brulee, cheese cake, and the usual suspects night after night. I found that going to the buffet line later in the evening we could find things like Black Forest Cake.

On my recent, I found that there were far too many "adventurous" options (Burnt Rhubarb Napoleon comes immediately to mind. *shudder*). There was even Black Forest Cake one night, albeit listed by its proper German name -- and no, I can't spell it.

I think sometimes people see the "always available" options and just assume that's all there is. Yes, every night, you will find creme brulee, cheese cake, and Love Boat Dream. But there are always two or three other choices besides those. Maybe not good choices (all together now: Burnt Rhubarb Napoleon), but choices.

I cruised one time on HAL. At night after dinner it was like a morgue. The few bars that were open (no performers) were empty so it was me and the bar staff which was not very exciting. It definitely was an older group and I think I was one of the youngest (late 50's at the time!).

The dining times on HAL are:

early seating: 4:00

Late seating: 5:30

Midnight buffet: 7:30

:rolleyes:

Are these meal times true? Or are you exaggerating?

It is an exaggeration. It was a joke because HAL tends to have an older demographic and it can be pretty quiet around the ship at night. It was pretty cute though.

I thought it was a joke, but just checking. Don't want to miss dinner if I ever cruise on HAL.;)

• 2 months later...

We have never been on a Princess ship. Our Baltic cruise in August will be our first time. We are sailing on Emerald. We have been on HAL, Nieuw Amsterdam, and loved it. That being said, I do have a question. On HAL, we could stuff a laundry bag and have the laundry done. I believe it was $52 for the room for a week. IMO, worth every cent. My question(s) is, does Princess offer this option on Emerald and if so, approximately does it cost? I realize there is a laundromat on board but we don't want to spend time doing laundry. Too many things to see and do. Thanks for your help.

My question(s) is, does Princess offer this option on Emerald and if so, approximately does it cost? I realize there is a laundromat on board but we don't want to spend time doing laundry. Too many things to see and do. Thanks for your help.

I haven't been on the Emerald, but I did the Baltic Sea last August on her sister ship the Crown Princess. They did offer "all you can stuff in a bag" laundry specials periodically throughout the cruise. By memory (that bits vague) it was $20 per bag. I recall it offered about 3-4 times over the 14 day cruise (offered in the Patter - and a reminder over the speakers).

On my recent, I found that there were far too many "adventurous" options (Burnt Rhubarb Napoleon comes immediately to mind. *shudder*).

Did you try it? It was actually quite good. The only problem was that we couldn't figure out what part was "burnt" and there really wasn't much rhubarb flavor. But it was a very nice, if "adventurous," Napoleon dessert.

Did you try it? It was actually quite good. The only problem was that we couldn't figure out what part was "burnt" and there really wasn't much rhubarb flavor. But it was a very nice, if "adventurous," Napoleon dessert.

No, I confess to skipping it and mocking it only for its unappealing name! I'm not much of an omnivore when it comes to desserts (unless chocolate or key lime are involved), and I've never really been a fan of napoleons as I don't like custard.