FLL airport or Miami

We're cruising on the Radiance of the Seas on 11/5. Although this ? has been asked before, I'm still not clear on an answer!! Is it better to fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami? We are arriving a day early so that's really not the problem. Not sure what time we'll be able to disembark so, also not sure what time to book an outgoing flight. I hear the Miami airport is a zoo!! Is this true?? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. By the way, we're staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 1 night pre-cruise. Also, anyone from MA/NH, would you take connecting flights thru Manchester Airport or get a direct from Logan??? Thanks!

BOTH airports are zoos in the winter, particularly on weekends when there are many ships in both ports. FLL is the worst on winter weekends though, the lines and delays are incredible at times, but the fares are in many cases cheaper to FLL than MIA.

It's always best to take a nonstop if you can, connections just give your luggage an extra chance to get lost!

In general, flights into FLL are significantly cheaper than flights into MIA. This is because of competitive pressures. The airports are relatively close together so that is not a factor. My guess is that you will get better deals from Logan to FLL

We're flying into FLL for our Explorer cruise. The cost was half of MIA. And with a limo back to the airport on return figured in we still save a ton of money. Limo was $80 from port to FLL.

Either one gets you within 30-45 minutes of the pier. ANY airport is a zoo near cruises on Saturday or Sunday.

Also, interesting article in today's USAToday.

LINK: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2005-07-14-airport-checkpoint_x.htm

Miami did not get a good review.

I believe that the Radiance leaves from Port Everglades. If so, I would fly into Fort Lauderdale unless there is a major price difference which I doubt because FLL is usually cheaper. Miami airport is not only further away, but it is larger and usually a mess.

Personally, I prefer non-stop flights unless there is a large price difference or no choice. There's less travel time and your luggage is more likely to arrive with you. I believe that Jet Blue flies from Logan to FLL. If so, its a great choice: cost effective and comfortable.

MIA is a very large airport but it is very well laid out and they have gotten better control of things in the last couple of years.

I would personally fly in into MIA. It is closer to the port and if your flying home the same day you debark its convenient. Getting a cab is never a problem!

I have flown out of FLL before and I personally don't like it. Its tooo small and lines are long, HOWEVER, you may find the best deals of of FLL.

If the price is the same or if the price is only a small different I would fly into MIA!!

We have cruised on the Voyager and the Exlorer, both out of Miami. We flew into Miami for the Voyager cruise and hated the airport. The following year, when I was checking airfare rates, I decided to check prices for Ft. Lauderdale from Philadelphia. I was surprised to see that it was a substancial difference to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Even tho we had to take a shared limo to our hotel in Miami, we still saved a considerable amount of money. Also, the limo driver gave us a tour of Miami after he dropped off his other passenger, for no extra charge. Naturally, he got a pretty good tip. IMHO Ft. Lauderdale is defenitely a better airport for us. When we returned to Miami on the Explorer, we got a transfer from Royal Caribbean to the airport and it was a very small amount of money. We would not hesitate to go this way again.

We prefer FLL, but my reasoning is a bit different. The major airline in Cleveland is Continental, since we're a hub. So that's the airline I general pick. If you fly Continental to Miami, you get one of the little 3-across jets. I got stuck sitting in one of those for an hour-and-a-half on the ground once ... then had to deal with the air time. No thanks. If I fly to FLL, we get a nice 737. Pricing is generally cheaper as well.

As for which airport to deal with on the ground, my Miami experience was so many years ago, it hardly counts. And the FLL experience was the year after 9/11 and I felt their check-in process was poorly designed. I would suspect they have streamlined that by now.

:) Hi All!

The Radiance otS leaves from Miami on Sunday, November 6th 2005.

If you arrive a day early, it's not a big thing if you fly into MIA or FLL.

Just keep in mind, that you will need to have Transportation from FLL to MIA, if you fly into FLL (would suggest a rental car...) for 24 hours (Arrival into FLL until Drop-Off at MIA).

Cheers,

Phil

You might want to check the attached link to CruiseCal (Cruise Calendar). You can set the date and then sort by various criteria, including ports. With this you can take a look at how many ships are in port. The more ships, the worse it is (obviously) - as many people embarking as disembarking. I've been through one of those 7 ship FLL days and it is no fun at all. We've got an upconing cruise departing from FLL with 9 (NINE!) cruise ships in port that day - we're going a day early. Have a good cruise!

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/

Archived