Grinch Stole Christmas on the Last Day of Our Cruise

Eran0697

Folks should be aware that the safe is not as "safe" as it could be. I remember reading a post that gave a "magic code" (numbers) that could be used to get into a locked safe when a passenger forgot the numbers they used. This is necessary for security to unlock safes that were left locked by a previous passenger. On a past cruise I locked the safe with my own code then was able to unlock it with the "magic code". It works in the locker rooms as well.

Anyone can easily get into a locked safe. Be careful what you leave thinking it is protected.

Cheers!

Folks should be aware that the safe is not as "safe" as it could be. I remember reading a post that gave a "magic code" (numbers) that could be used to get into a locked safe when a passenger forgot the numbers they used. This is necessary for security to unlock safes that were left locked by a previous passenger. On a past cruise I locked the safe with my own code then was able to unlock it with the "magic code". It works in the locker rooms as well.

Anyone can easily get into a locked safe. Be careful what you leave thinking it is protected.

Cheers!

All the safes that I have had on Carnival ships use magnetic strips. You lock/unlock it with a card of your choosing. I use an expired gift card and have a hole punched in it. Stays attached to my lanyard with S&S card. No numbers on the safes. But good info to know. Celebrity has the keypad kind.

Cheers!

CCL uses the magnetic strip not keypads. There is a process that you need to go through in order to open it if you can't get into it that involves maintenance and ship security. Room stewards do not have access to the safe unless you leave it unlocked or leave the swipe key out for them to be able to use. So not everyone can easily get into a locked safe.

All the safes that I have had on Carnival ships use magnetic strips. You lock/unlock it with a card of your choosing. I use an expired gift card and have a hole punched in it. Stays attached to my lanyard with S&S card. No numbers on the safes. But good info to know. Celebrity has the keypad kind.

CCL uses the magnetic strip not keypads. There is a process that you need to go through in order to open it if you can't get into it that involves maintenance and ship security. Room stewards do not have access to the safe unless you leave it unlocked or leave the swipe key out for them to be able to use. So not everyone can easily get into a locked safe.

Not all ships use the magnetic strip type. The Splendor had keypad safes in July, and I doubt that's changed since then.

A friend of mine was on the Ecstasy late last year and she left her iPad on board the ship. She plugged it in to charge the morning of disembarkment, then they came back to the cabin and packed after breakfast, and somehow she didn't have her iPad when she had flown home.

She too was absolutely convinced that a corrupt steward or someone with access to the rooms had taken it. But whatever she did with it--Carnival returned it to her the next week, after she filed a claim. When you have more than one person in a room and are packing your things together--these things happen.

I think that it's easy to lose things when packing. I frequently lose phone chargers and small devices, and earrings are small. They were probably just misplaced some place in the cabin by the OP, and will turn up unless unscrupulous passengers found and took them.

Hi all, my family and I had a wonderful Christmas cruise aboard the Elation this year. This cruise was perfect up until our last day on the ship. I received a beautiful pair of earrings from my husband and son on Christmas day. I put the earrings in the safe (operated by an old credit card) along with our Ipad/phones, wallets, and passports. The backs of the earrings did not fit well and I didn’t want to take the chance of losing one.

During the cruise we had great weather. A Christmas cruise is certainly a cruise geared for families. Kids were everywhere!!

The last day of our cruise we decided to sleep in and left the room around noon. Our cabin had been cleaned when we returned around 3:00. We were in and out of the room during the day packing and finally returned for bed around midnight. To our surprise our steward had not returned to our room to let down the upper for my son. We had to call for assistance.

The next morning we did a final check of the room/safe/under the bed and left the room around 8:00. We arrived at the airport around 11:30 and that’s when it hit me……” I don’t remember packing my earrings”!! I immediately called Carnival to report them missing. My claim with Carnival will remain active for 30 days.

Unfortunately we had already checked our luggage so I had to wait until 4:00 that afternoon to get to our bags. Finally, I had access to our luggage and like a mad woman I went through every single bag right in the middle of the airport. Just as I thought, no earrings to be found. I am not sure who stole my earrings but since we did not see our steward any of the last day on the ship he is a suspect. We actually walked our floor the last night of the cruise looking for him because we wanted to give him an extra tip. We left it on the bed for him upon our departure.

Morale of story: periodically check your belongings as you cruise and always purchase insurance. My little $100 insurance policy will cover the cost of my earrings if they are not returned. It just breaks my heart that even though the entire ship was filled with joy and happiness the Grinch was also present!!

Happy travels,

YOu did say you placed the ear rings in the safe.. Right?

Simple solution is to keep jewelry in a larger container that is hard to miss in the safe.

I use a pill organizer -- the compartments are large enough for earrings, rings, and the pendants for my necklace, and keep items from slipping under the mat or edge of the safe.

Makes it easy to keep track of pieces and locate everything when I'm getting dressed for dinner.

And, when I pick up my purse to leave, I just shake -- can hear the items rattle and know that they are packed.

I met a passenger on our recent Magic cruise that claimed "someone" stole $2,100 cash from the safe in their cabin.

I didn't ask for details, but she was quite upset.

We don't take very much cash when we cruise. For those of you that do, where do you keep it?

Actually the title of the thread states "stole" so to me that is accusing "someone" of stealing. And you also state "not sure who stole my earrings". I don't see how that can be read any other way.

It's interesting how a thread is posted and the OP doesn't get the validation they were hoping for, their "point of view" changes several pages later.

"Stole" is absolutely accusing.

Accusing someone of stealing is a very serious accusation. From your post, you don't have once iota of proof that your room steward stole anything. More than likely you left them in the safe, etc. As such, the Grinch most likely is you. Please don't accuse people of crimes without having facts to back it up.

My assets I take on a cruise may not be worth much, but they are valuable to me. Not so much with jewelry, but in camera equipment. If I bring it, I do an inventory sweep each time I enter my cabin. I have SLR items that are expensive to replace. So far, I've not had a problem, but if I do, this will give me a time frame to report.

I have left ipads, iphones, jewelry, cameras, video equipment, cash, jewelry and a host of other items in my cabin and NEVER had an issue. We place things in the safe, and sometimes we even lock it, most often not, and again never had anything come up missing, not so much as a $20 bill. I thought that I lost my iphone on a ship, went to guest services, no one found it, did I accuse my room steward, NO, when we were driving home, I found it in the outside pocket of my camera case where I had put it days before so I would not lose it.

I am sorry that OP lost, misplaced, forgot or had her earrings stolen, I however doubt that the room steward has a side business as a "safe cracker" to take a pair of earrings....

I personally think this OP thought she was cute, clever, and creative by coming up with the title "Grinch Stole Christmas on the Last Day of Our Cruise" and just couldn't resist posting it. If you look closely, she capitalized and formatted the title to the exact format of a book/movie/article title. I however don't think it's cute, cleaver, or creative. I'm quite angry that someone would call a room steward 'Grinch' and accuse them of stealing with absolutely no evidence. This borders on cyber-bullying, the only difference is the victim does not know this post exists - and for this I am thankful.

since the op doesn't 'remember' packing the earrings, it is possible they actually WERE packed and the loss could have happened with the security people at the airport...

She should be pointing the finger at herself for not being careful with such an expensive gift, if she had she would have KNOWN if the item was in the safe when she packed her bags.

I have been on plenty of cruises where the cabin steward was invisible on the last night as well as most of the cruise...they seem to be almost magical that way.