Velvet On Cruises - Let's Talk

I'm interested in your opinions on the proper season for evening dresses made of velvet worn on cruises. Does "the season" begin December 1st and end on Jan 2nd? Maybe you believe it begins on November 1st? Or do you feel it is whenever you want to wear it?

Of course consideration has to be taken for design and length of the dress, sleeve length and material. This is a general question about the basic material, velvet. Strictly winter?

Ms B

I'm interested in your opinions on the proper season for evening dresses made of velvet worn on cruises. Does "the season" begin December 1st and end on Jan 2nd? Maybe you believe it begins on November 1st? Or do you feel it is whenever you want to wear it?

Of course consideration has to be taken for design and length of the dress, sleeve length and material. This is a general question about the basic material, velvet. Strictly winter?

Ms B

I'm not as familiar with whether there is different weights of velvet but would think that fall and winter would be the seasons I would see this the most.

Wear it when you want to but it has to get awfully hot in the summer months....

Interesting question....

I plan to wear velvet on our late October cruise in the Med....that is providing I can find something to buy that I like before then. I am just in a velvet mode for one of the formal nights, it looks so formal and dressy and jewelry looks great with it..but I am thinking a black velvet jacket or top to go with black crepe palazzo pants, not a dress...that also means new black suede or maybe black beaded shoes. I am definetly against velvet in warmer months and also think it looks out of place in the Caribbean or the South Pacific anytime..... Sissy

I've always thought of velvet as a holiday fabric. But, I have seen outfits that are not totally velvet, just the bodice, or just the skirt, that I think could be suitable at a different time of year. The only time I ever pull the velvet pieces out of the closet are for New Years Eve.

I don't think I would consider the fabric outside of winter months for myself, but I wouldn't think twice about someone else wearing it, I don't really pay that much attention to what others are wearing. Unless it was being worn with Ugg boots.

Ms B

Yes, velvet is a winter fabric.

Though you mentioned timing, you didn't mention place and that makes a big difference in my opinion.

If the cruise is to New England then I think that velvet is fine for anytime after October. Though I wouldn't wear a heavy black velvet dress in October.

I don't think you have to stop wearing it Jan 2nd. Here in NYC, February is our coldest month and I often wear velvet for Valentine's Day.

If the cruise is to the Carribbean, which is a sub-tropical climate, then I think there's no time when velvet is appropriate. Some people feel that because the ship has a/c that velvet is okay. I disagree....based on that theory, I'd be wearing white linen pants and sandals in the winter because the restaurants I go to have plenty of heat.

Velvet is now available in such a variety of weights and colors that it's use is more wide-ranged. In the past, we really only had heavy black, dark green and burgundy velvets and those, IMO, are best suited for real winter wear. But now, there are stretch velvets, burn-out velvets, velvets mixed with other fabrics and in colors pale blue and lavanders, so the season it can be worn in can extend to fall. But again, not in a tropical or even sub-tropical climate.

Jane

If the cruise is to the Carribbean, which is a sub-tropical climate, then I think there's no time when velvet is appropriate. Some people feel that because the ship has a/c that velvet is okay. I disagree....based on that theory, I'd be wearing white linen pants and sandals in the winter because the restaurants I go to have plenty of heat.

So is it never okay to wear a spaghetti-strap, short dress to a holiday party in a NYC winter even though the venue is heated?

The difference between the two situations is this: In NYC, you have to go outside to get to the restaurant. You would have to wear your white linen pants and sandals in the cold, slushy NYC winter. You would be cold and your white linen pants would be dirty. On a cruise, you put on your velvet clothing in your air conditioned cabin, walk through AC halls to an (extremely!) AC dining room, then on to an AC show. Personally, I find the air conditioning on most ships to be too low. I have worn light weight velvet on Caribbean cruises and have never been uncomfortably warm.

I have a spaghetti strapped velvet dress that I've worn - on a Caribbean cruise, egads :eek: - with rhinestones on the straps. It's a pretty dress but I've worn it and am ready to replace it.

When I told a friend about it and mentioned that I'll need something in satin she was shocked that I wouldn't consider wearing velvet in October. My friend is closer to 80 than I can guess and is going on a Princess cruise to Alaska next week. Turns out she's taking a long velvet skirt to wear for formal night and wanted to find a new top.

We found a nice, white satin blouse with sheer sleeves and rhinestone buttons for her. But it did make me stop and think, what is the season for velvet? It's not quite like white or patent leather shoes with definate dates.

Ms B ---> Now when I'm 80 I won't care either that I'm wearing velvet in the middle of summer. I'll be glad to be able to cruise at all, by myself, and still be making my own flight reservations on the net! :D

So is it never okay to wear a spaghetti-strap, short dress to a holiday party in a NYC winter even though the venue is heated?

Again, it depends on the fabric. If it's velvet, heavy crepe or wool then it's fine. If it's linen or cotton, then it looks odd.

I love tank tops and have tons of them in cotton for the summer but then I also have some in cashmere and in stretch velvet that I wear in the winter.

Jane

This has helped me. I won't wear my sleeveless velvet dress. But otherwise is material an issue?

I have several long "dressy" dresses and skirt/blouse combos that I think will work for formal. What about a long skirted suit?

Is a knee-length satin dress acceptable for formal?

Thanks

In Dec. 2003. We went on a western carib. cruise. I had checked out the weather for that area and found the average temps. were 85-90. It was that hot in our first port, Grand Cayman but that night it rained and a cold front came through. the other ports, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya it did not even hit 70 at the hottest part of the day. Much too cold to swim. I tried out the jacuzzi thinking since it was heated I would be fine. Not so-the top half of me that was not under water was still freezing and I was really cold when I got out of it.

On top of that it appeared the ship had no heating system or else the air conditioner was stuck in the "on" position. Our staterrom was never over 60 degrees.

Now I am getting to why I am telling this story. As an afterthought I threw in my suitcase a velvet skirt and boatneck top (nothing like the Christmas velvet-more of a casual velvet) I did not plan to wear it-figured I would look too "wintery" in it but I thought "oh well-it takes up very little room and that outfit never wrinkles-I may need it".

Well guess what-I ended up wearing that outfit TWICE to dinner on casual nights and believe it or not-that was the only 2 times that I felt warm that whole week.

Moral of my story-even the caribbean can get cold in the winter if a cold front comes through-so don't depend on having 90 degree weather.

Again, it depends on the fabric. If it's velvet, heavy crepe or wool then it's fine. If it's linen or cotton, then it looks odd.

I love tank tops and have tons of them in cotton for the summer but then I also have some in cashmere and in stretch velvet that I wear in the winter.

Jane

It seems as though the rules of fashion/season just don't make sense. You can't wear fabrics that appear lightweight in the winter, but you can wear a short skirt that leaves your legs exposed (except for thin nylons)?

When I was younger, I was a slave to fashion. Now, I'm a slave to comfort. Here in the Midwest we have wickedly cold winters and summers that can be very hot & humid (like this year). Every building I've worked in keeps the air too warm in the winter and too cold in the summer. I'm pretty sensitive to the cold, so I keep a thick cardigan in the office to slip on when my fingernails turn blue. Layers of lightweight clothing just don't do the trick. Yes, I have heard, "Aren't you hot in that thing," more often than I can count. I simply respond, "If I was, I wouldn't be wearing it." I've decided being comfortable is more important than being fashionable.

Amen, SueSea. I have a pretty critical eye in my own mirror and if I think I look good and feel comfortable, I'm secure enough not to care if someone thinks I'm breaking one of the fashion commandments. If someone else in the dining room on the cruise ship wants to cluck his/her tongue in my direction because I'm wearing a style or fabric they disapprove of, personally I think they ought to get a life.

Amen, SueSea. I have a pretty critical eye in my own mirror and if I think I look good and feel comfortable, I'm secure enough not to care if someone thinks I'm breaking one of the fashion commandments. If someone else in the dining room on the cruise ship wants to cluck his/her tongue in my direction because I'm wearing a style or fabric they disapprove of, personally I think they ought to get a life.

I say amen to that. To read what some folks say about fashions do's and dont's here, you would think we are cruising on navy ships and must follow strict uniform guidelines.

I think velvet is innappropriate in the caribbean. It is a cold weather fabric.

Since the question was asked, I would have to agree most with this opinion. On the other hand, I would rather see someone dressed in velvet and trying to follow the recommended dress code than not trying at all. Really doesn't matter to me, as I won't let how someone else is dressed bother me, unless of course it's one of my kids or DH!

Pam

THIS is the place to come and air feelings..... ask questions...... discuss/express a point of view, change opinions or keep them.

I'm certain that NO ONE on this board would go up to a fellow cruiser and ask them why they're wearing velvet in the carribbean, why they have on a theme sweater or why are they and their spouse wearing matching clothes!

It offends no one that we do it here and it's something that interests us to chat about. If it bothers you or is of no interest to you, then why read through threads? I skip the ones that bore me, but don't criticize people for discussing things that I'm not interested in.

I live in the Caribbean (San Juan) and I'm sorry to tell the naysayers :D that formal clothing stores here carry velvet dresses, especially in "winter." Maybe a long-sleeved velvet dress would be too much, but in principle there is nothing wrong with wearing velvet in the Caribbean.

I was on the Mexican Riviera route (Vision) in December of 03 and I brought 2 short 'cocktail' type dresses for formal night. One was sleeveless, velvet w/sparkles, and the other was spaghetti strapped w/velvet bodice. I never felt out of place...even in my pantyhose ;)

I live in the Caribbean (San Juan) and I'm sorry to tell the naysayers :D that formal clothing stores here carry velvet dresses, especially in "winter." Maybe a long-sleeved velvet dress would be too much, but in principle there is nothing wrong with wearing velvet in the Caribbean.

When we cruised the southern carib out of San Juan in Sept. of 2000 I noticed many young woman wearing leather slacks. I have always considered leather a "winter fabric" but no one seemed bothered by this. These young women I thought looked nice also.

Once again it goes back to people do what they want and anything goes now-a-days. Personally I also would rather see someone in their spaghetti strapped velvet gown then a tube top and blue jeans on formal night.

I also know this past spring when the "spring formals" came out I saw quite a few taffeta and satin gowns with little bits of embossed velvet on them. To me it seems the designers are trying to "blurr" the image of velvet being a winter fabric.

I'll probably be bringing...uh oh...another velvety dress on my Rhapsody cruise. :)

I used to have a velour cami and string bikini panties I had for the "occasions" you mentioned. Even though I am a little long in the tooth now-hubby stills likes me to "dress" for that ocassion also.

I would tend to think velvet is more of a fall/winter fabric, say, September through March...but it's also so beautiful that if you feel like wearing it on your Caribbean cruise in July, I'd say go for it.

It's fun to muse over what is "proper" in fashion, but it's also fun to wear what makes you feel like a million bucks. And if that velvet dress does it, I say, go for it!

Jane :)

I have an ankle length light weight black velvet skirt that I was going to wear with a champagne lace top for formal night along with strappy black sandals. I'll add good jewelry and a touch of makeup (normally don't wear any makeup). I don't want to purchase a long dress just for this occasion. Sound dressy enough for formal night and not out of place velvet?

Archived